Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What's really tragic is that Kojima hosed up by not telling Hayter at all why the switch happened (typical Japanese behavior), and Hayter hosed up by not keeping his cool over it.

He did tell Hayter why the switch happened: he wanted a better/real actor for the facial capture. If the reasoning behind the change of actors was the Medic thing I'm sure Kojima would have had real BB voiced by Hayter after the reveal.

The Japanese voice for Snake/BB is the same across every game, including TPP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mokinokaro posted:

Though he does do separate voices for Snake and Big Boss. The two sound a lot more distinct than Hayter's versions.

Yep. Hayter certainly tried that a little in SE, but it wasn't muuch of a difference and his voice kind of got shot after that anyway.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's not a bad game. I wouldn't even say it's a mediocre one. But I don't think it deserves the 9/10 or 10/10 it's been getting. To me it's a solid 8 at most, perhaps even a bit lower just because of how the story irritates me. Which has nothing to do with the concept of the twist itself (I like the idea of it), but the really shoddy execution of it.

I have a feeling I'm going to have the same opinion when I finally get my hands on it. Plays like a dream but the story falls way short.

I agree with you on the twist. I hated it when I found out, but the more I think about it I kind of like it, and the story really could have worked if they had framed it more as this incredibly horrible thing BB did. Have the reveal earlier and focus on just how drat evil it is that BB is doing the thing he hates, yet maybe even worse since LET isn't erasing a grown man's entire life to use him as a meat shield. At least the clones had their own lives.

Idk, something like that. As it is it just feels like BB did a hosed up thing he doesn't get any heat for, some other dude went nuclear and becomes the villain of MG, then I guess? at some point BB actually goes nuclear on like a delayed timer or some poo poo and makes Zanzibarland?

e: though I must say the cutscenes I've glanced at have some pretty great atmosphere. there's some trippy messed up poo poo going on and it looks to be a good portrait of a man wondering if he's gone mad. It's just the wrong man.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 3, 2015

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BB never fully lost his eye either, did he? It was just burned to uselessness when Ocelot's bullet went too close.

Unless there's mention of them straight up removing it at some point in 3 or PW that I missed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the thing that bugs me the most about fixing the 'plot hole' of Big Boss dying twice is ... It wasn't a plot hole. I mean I may be wrong because it's been forever, but doesn't MG2 already explain why he didn't die in MG1?

I do like the twist though, in theory. The game is just so lacking in story and Venom has so little character that it's hard to care by the time you get to that mission. In a perfect world where Kojima got to put more story in I think it could have been quite lovely. Though even in a world where he put everything he wanted to in the game I'm pretty sure it would still be lacking in story-- at least compared to the rest of the games in the series. He did that deliberately, I think. Wasn't part of hiring Kiefer wanting to be able to tell more through a look rather than a piece of dialogue?

• Locked thread