Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

BenRGamer posted:

You know, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so I figure I'll mention it here.

The first time I ran through The White Mamba mission, I completely accidentally skipped the Eli bossfight by rocket punching the rear end in a top hat from the floor below. He doesn't react to seeing the rocket punch, and as long as you haven't gotten his attention some other way he goes down like a chump.

It's actually a mission task to just gently caress Eli up without giving him a chance to come at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

dang I hope the map being similar was intentional because that's great

Here's something that will make you wonder if Kojima is legitimately crazy enough to have planned this all out from the start: in MG1 when Big Boss starts sabotaging your mission with bullshit info, all said bullshit info comes in over a different frequency. What if that was Venom Snake?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Erata posted:

That mission is a bitch. I toughed it out. Uh. Reddit claims you can ride a materials container out of the mission by standing on it and fulton extracting it. You should get a prompt to ride it out of the level.

As for beating the level, I camped on top of the building to avoid the heavy tank shells and plinked them with rockets in between their shots after taking down the gunship.

edit:
That mission loving sucks though. Yeah cool, the tanks can snipe me at 500 meters through a sandstorm at night yeah ok. I'm wearing a sneaking suit, so uh. NVG/Thermal protection hello??? Chuck out a hundred decoys and it works. They shoot at the decoys. As soon as you enter line of sight, all those tank turrets start rotating around to face you. Oh yeah the tank shots pierce walls and cover slightly, but often enough to still 1 shot you.

I beat it by just saying 'gently caress rockets', hiding behind the container, and popping out only to stare at a tank through my scope and call down bombardments.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Zero went comatose, I believe, before Big Boss and V came to, so that leaves Big Boss.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I agree with most of Super Bunnyhop says. In terms of just sheer gameplay MGSV is, hands down, one of the greatest games ever made. Everything about the gameplay is nearly perfect, and all you're left with are nitpicks. I'll agree that the gameplay may be artificially padded out a bit, I was certainly dealing with a big of fatigue near the end myself.

But the story isn't anywhere close to the standards of a Metal Gear game. Chapter 1 would be probably the weakest of all the stories in that it just feels like a generic plot of 'bad guy wants to do bad thing' and not the usual nuances of seventeen different gambits piling up that Metal Gear is known for. Chapter 2 is disjointed and, though the individual pieces are good, don't have much flow. Emmerich's trial and exile, Quiet's resolution, the second outbreak, all of those are great pieces as they stand.

I don't particularly mind the twist because, on some regards crazy batshit mindfucks come with the territory of Metal Gear, I just don't particularly like it because, like the Giant Spoilercast on GiantBomb said, it came near the end and changed nothing. It's well foreshadowed if you're looking out for it, but you could easily put the real Big Boss in there and practically nothing would reasonably change- except probably more one-liners and such, as Big Boss likes to do. If anything, I don't like it because I feel like it's just wasted potential. Kojima could have done something really really cool with it if the game had just gone on a little longer, but in the end it just feels to me like Kojima was determined to give you one last goodbye twist. Which is appreciated, it's obviously a heartfelt goodbye, but I just want to see the fallout.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think they state Quiet doesn't take the cure because until the moment she decides to leave she's still torn between her growing loyalty to Venom Snake and her desire for vengeance, and that when she makes up her mind she realizes that even the vaccine can't guarantee she won't become symptomatic while shits like Huey are out there generating radiation leaks to force-mutate the parasites in an attempt to create a 'better' version. So her only 100% option to see to it that the English parasite strain dies completely is for her to die.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The original six Patriots were Zero, SIGINT, Para-Medic, EVA, Ocelot, and Big Boss. There was immediately a lot of tension between Zero and Big Boss because of disagreements on The Boss's will, and when Big Boss found out about Les Enfants Teribbles, he split, followed by Ocelot and EVA.

After Zanzibar Land and Big Boss was kept comatose by JD and the AIs, Ocelot and EVA teamed up to rescue him, which is basically the entire plot of the Solid Snake MGS games, culminating in 4 where they suceed.

Also, one touch that I liked about the MGS4 reveal is that the three support team members (Clark, Anderson, and Zero) were a faction while the three people on tbe ground during Snake Eater (EVA, Ocelot, and Big Boss) were the others.

Really, if you think about it ALL 6 Patriots are villains, because in the end they're all trying to institute destructive ideologies to fulfill their vision of a perfect world. It's just that evil isn't always as obvious as you think it is.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone in Snake Eater is goofy, with few exceptions. Para-Medic gushes about movies, Big Boss eats loving everything, Ocelot meows like a cat, EVA keeps her breasts exposed. The thing that starts everyone down the path of darkness is The Boss's death and the revelation that the whole thing was planned. And in the end, Zero and Big Boss happily lead their subordinates and allies right along with them because they trust them implicitly, and trust The Boss.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The 'clone' part was mentioned in MGS1 but him finding out that he was Big Boss's 'son' was retconned into MG1/2, he tells Meryl his real name at the end of the same game, and Eli isn't revealed until MGSV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't know about you guys but I expect Metal Gear characters in my Metal Gear game. The only Metal Gear characters MGSV had were Quiet, Skull Face, and Code Talker. And they were pretty much the least focused on characters.

Huey was a pretty good character.

He's an iredeemable piece of human garbage but he's the only one actually calling Venom Snake out on what he's doing.

• Locked thread