Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can pretty much get the general gist of what's going on, since many characters haven't appeared in other games (or appear in this game for the first time chronologically)(this game is a midquel btw) and there's a vast amount of audio logs explaining every minor detail, but I definitely second that Ground Zeroes recommendation. It's a fun game in its own right and includes summaries of the two games which take place before this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
gently caress I love this game so much. I went a couple of months without playing it and my memories of it were starting to sour (always a risk when a game has a story that is by design unsatisfying) but I picked it back up last night, and D-Dog jumped a solider and shocked him and howled ("anyone can see that's a wolf!") and it's so drat good. I never got really into invading other people; maybe I'll try to get that "disarm all the nukes" special cutscene or whatever

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't know why it takes the chef so long to prepare my filet mignon while McDonald's can heave a burger through my car window in seconds.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Saying TPP is a really bad game is as ridiculous as saying its story is so subtle it went over most people's heads.

I don't think it's that subtle, but I think people were probably expecting something more bombastic and wordy, and definitely something with more of a resolution (in a word, something more Metalgeary) and, understandably, didn't really engage with TPP on its own terms.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

As I understand it, "character development" means characters changing as a result of the events of the story. Luke Skywalker going from a farmboy to a Jedi knight etc. Seems weird to claim this game has none, off the top of my head Quiet goes from trying to kill Snake to dying for him, and Miller pursues revenge then gets it finds it was good for nothing. And yeah, D-Dog is a cute puppy absorbed by the war machine and turned into a killer.

Momomo posted:

I'm still not certain if Kaz and Ocelot knew the big plot twist for the entire game, or if they found out when the player did. If it's the former than that game did everything it could to undermine every single character's actions.

Ocelot knew but then brainwashed himself to forget. It's ambiguous when Miller finds out but since Ocelot already knows by that point it makes the most sense to me that it would be after the game's events when Ocelot's self-hypnosis has worn off.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I wonder how much stuff had to go to squeeze the game onto a PS3. It's probably easier to make multiple versions crippled in the same way rather than one which is more crippled and one which is less.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The ending we did get seemed to imply that "You're Big Boss too because you the player followed the series to the end and added to the legend of a mythical hero, good job you're awesome have a gold star!"

Everyone says this but I really doubt it. Big Boss sure says "you are part of my legend, this is good" but that's not the last thing that happens in the ending- Venom Snake then sees himself in the mirror covered in blood, punches the mirror, and walks away into darkness. Those positive words(said by someone who's a villain the rest of the series) are followed up by a bunch of negative imagery.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It wasn't about closing a plot hole, it was about deflating the legend of Big Boss by a) revealing that he didn't even do half the stuff he's legendary for; b) making the player feel personally betrayed by him, c) having him take part in a scheme a lot like the cloning project he severed ties with Zero over in the first place, and completely destroy the life of one of the soldiers under his command to do it, the treatment of soldiers he abhorred in MGS3.

They repeat the words "phantom" and "parasite" a lot throughout the game, the end reveals that Venom Snake is a phantom and Big Boss is a parasite. Some legend.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If anything, MGSV opens up a plot hole. Solid Snake was supposed to have trained under Big Boss with Big Boss as his CO in FOXHOUND, how the hell could he have not noticed that the Big Boss of Outer Heaven now strangely had a giant lump of shrapnel poking out of his head and a cybernetic arm? I like the end twist thematically but as part of a continuous series it really just doesn't work at all.
the fourth-wall-breaking nature of the series (btw I read an interesting post about how the way MGS breaks the fourth wall isn't meant to make the game break out of the screen but draw us behind it to make the player feel more a part of the action) provides a built-in explanation for this one: Solid Snake didn't see the horn and arm because the sprite's resolution was too low to display them.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

the coolest line in the game was Skullface saying "I will exterminate the English language"

• Locked thread