Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think he has a horn there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If Eli doesn't turn out to be Raiden I'll be very disappointed

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CrashCat posted:

It's a playground with a lot of toys. You have to make your own fun with them, so if you're not creative then you're going to be bored. The game has a director that covers tactics you used frequently to try and encourage creativity. You probably wouldn't have liked the original Deus Ex either.

Not liking to have to grind for content isn't the same as not liking to think.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

a cop posted:

It would if it had codecs. Doesn't have anything to do with style imo, just a conscious decision to reduce the amount of voice work required.

Peace Walker managed the funny conversations without a codec.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MGSV's cutscenes are way better than previous games in the series because they're incredibly well directed, well acted and well paced. Even Snake Eater was painfully boring at points, like with the talk between LBJ and Kruschev.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Firstly, I never said the older games are 100% terrible - I just think MGSV is much more consistent in it's quality. Secondly, I've never played Twin Snakes and it also isn't MGS1.

If you want an example of what I mean when I'm talking about lovely cutscenes, think about every MGS4 slideshow, or the end with Big Boss, or the long dull codecs throughout basically every game apart from MGSV.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Being purposefully exploitative still means that it's exploitative.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

Is that bad, if the game is trying to make a point about exploitation and you are in the role of the exploiter?

When the only female character in the game that isn't dead is the one that's being exploited, then yes.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

Could Kojima be trying to say that Big Boss lives in a world that can only exist due to the exploitation of soldiers, and made the sole woman in the game exploited to show the point that Big Boss is surrounded by those who are exploited, making a deeer point about the Boss' will? I, personally, believe that he is.

If there were female non-soldier characters that weren't exploited I'd be inclined to agree, like there are in the previous games (eg. Strangelove in PW, Rose in MGS2, Paramedic in MGS3)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

There's technically Paz, although her memory was exploited by Big Boss as a way to try and reach back to happier days.

She's dead before the start of the game.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

In terms of disappointing successors, I think Big Boss takes the cake.

Basically Me But Even More of a Monster, Good Son, Dick Son, President Son.

Disappointing? He has a president and the two-time saviour of the world as his kids!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Just speaking for myself here, but I think MGS3's story has more problems than just "making too much sense" or whatever.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Ruddha posted:

lol mgs3 is perhaps tied with dark souls as the perfect game of time

And just like Dark Souls, MGS3 is a really good game with some flaws in storytelling.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

...and the lack of instruction/communication and the dull story and the terrible performance on PC. You're allowed to recognise that something does not need to be perfect to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm surprised about the unpopularity of MGSV's story. I guess I'd like if there was more to it, but I think (barring maybe some scenes in MGS4) that it's cutscenes are the absolute peak of the series. Previous games in the series often had their cutscenes drag on for far too long and they weren't shot very interestingly.

• Locked thread