Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Man the second ending to this game is really dumb. You spend 30 minutes in a tense fight, fending off choppers, APCs, and some kind of magic tanks that kill Snake in one hit and then ... Snake gets bit by a cobra while hiding behind a rock from a single soldier. What the gently caress was the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

A magic tank that kills in one hit, other wise known as a regular tank

So what does that make the green tanks? Phantoms?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I did like Quiet viciously chopping a man's dicknballs into so much useless meat.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Funky Valentine posted:

If you've done the Tank Unit side ops, then you've encountered the OHKO tank. Multiple times. Sometimes two at once.

I did the repeating side ops up to a certain point, but after 70 hours of this game I was ready to sprint to the finish line. I appreciate the effort to make the mission structure feel more like a deployment and less like a spreadsheet of shortcuts to coordinates on a map, but the game crossed the line from immersion to filler eventually.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You guys are only now discovering the Youtube treasure that is Dunkey? :allears:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Skull Face has about the same level of cunning and characterization as Cobra Commander so maybe don't burn too many brain cells trying to figure him out.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think there definitely are parts that are meant to be taken seriously, and they juxtapose these dramatic segments with men making GBS threads their pants and walking robots with dick cannons. How can you play the last hour of MGS3 and still think there aren't supposed to be serious and somber segments on these games?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

I don't think anyone said that?

Yeah he did read Gammatronnes post.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Party Boat posted:

This is from an interview in 2013:

Also:

Haha, it's like he made a wish on a monkey's paw.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

This game needed like 10 hours more cutscenes, minimum

Agreed, completely sincerely and without guile.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nakar posted:

Incidentally on a replay I overheard a conversation about DD where one of the Mother Base soldiers gets really defensive over another one suggesting DD is a wolf and not a dog. It's well before the Huey sequence and is essentially foreshadowing for it.

EDIT: Come to think of it that's probably why Ocelot of all people is the one who trains DD. He trains a wolf to be a dog as he trains Venom to be Big Boss, each of them really something he's not. Makes a lot more sense of why Huey's scene leads directly into Truth.

They can say this really early, I heard it on chapter 1. I like to imagine it's the same guys who were talking about puppy paw pads.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Really? Any reason given? I thought the golden arm was a pre order bonus.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The sniper skulls seem to display some emotion, so maybe they're all just really homicidal assholes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
After listening to Quiets tape I'm really glad she doesn't speak because Stephanie Joosten can't act for poo poo!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nail Rat posted:

This is a real thing, actually, usually when you think a sentence in your head, your vocal cords move as though you were talking.

Yeah this was one of the flimsy explanations for how the CODEC works as well. Sub something communication.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fargin Icehole posted:

Woulda been cool to get more tapes about the state of the world than the outrageous bullshit of an old man saying parasites are the reason man can talk.

Outrageous bullshit is the cornerstone of the MGS experience.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Venom stares at a mirror in the bookending cutscenes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I get the feeling that you guys put in about 10x the effort that Kojima did analysing this really bad plot.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Motherbase doesn't make any sense, don't try to wrap your brain around it. They don't have the resources to build a forest camo cardboard box, yet building massive deep sea platforms connected by bridges spanning half a mile is no problem.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Shaocaholica posted:

Err, what exactly did Snake and Otacon do in MGS4 worthy of execution? Scapegoats for what Liquid did? Why do they need a scapegoat in the first place? Its not like Operation Snake Eater.

They didn't do anything worthy of execution, because the story was changed.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Digital Osmosis posted:

I didn't even realize until 3/4ths of the way through this game that Kaz and "Master Miller" from MGS1 were supposed to be the same person (also because of the weird shifting ethnicity thing) and when I did and when I bear it all I could think was "oh thank god Ocelot finally put him down." what an rear end

Liquid is supposedly the one who killed him.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ekusukariba posted:

Its unclear, MGS1 and Novel implies Liquid, Peace Walker says its an unknown assaliant, and MGSV implies Ocelot will do it

Oh I hadn't realized the series has gotten to the point where MGS1 itself started getting retconned.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Did liquid do WTC? I am like 90% sure Liquid did 9/11

Why do people keep bringing this up? Just because of that shot of 1984-era downtown Manhattan at the end of the mission 51 video? The twin towers were just an iconic part of the city-scape back then.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Why 7 times instead of once? Really loving stupid.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't hate Huey, he was basically Otacon who was a good if pathetic guy. I kept wanting to believe his sniveling excuses.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is that really a Japanese thing? Burning your bridges with an old employer in a tiny, insular industry seems like a terrible idea. I can't think of someone at a very senior level leaving a videogame company then trashing them.

I think it's just that most game companies in Japan that we are familiar with are the big serious business corporations, so you would have to be kind of an idiot to start trashing them publicly if you still want to work with another one. It's not really got much to do with the industry.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mission 46 actually does change things even though people were saying it's the exact same. The opening cutscenes specifically give away most of the twist now where before they were really confusing.

This game is amazing i really don't get the backlash

It's fun but after playing a game like Witcher 3 and seeing what a well crafted open world really looks and feels like it's hard not to be disappointed in TPP.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

RACHET posted:

Gotta say that Mission 45 is one of the worst missions in gaming history.

This game is really bad.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't feel like Capcom is evil so much as incompetent. They're kind of just limping along with their franchises even though the creative people who made Capcom a powerhouse during the PS2 era are long gone.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
This is pathetic. The game just has a bad half baked narrative, get over it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
When they flash back to Venom's hospital face during the Volgin corpse theft you can clearly see he still has both eyes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't MGO supposed to be releasing this month? I haven't heard jack squat about it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Are people still talking about this terrible game? Just let MGS3 live on in your heart and forget everything that came after.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

kaesarsosei posted:

I trawled through 25 pages of threads and the general MGS thread seems to be inactive.

I just wanted to ask: I've never played or seen a single minute of a Metal Gear Solid game in my life. Can or should I take a dive into MGSV or would it be completely over my head? Both from a gameplay and story perspective.

You can play it just fine, all the characters have been completely gutted from their former characterization anyways and the story is pretty self contained thanks to a really dumb retcon that I'm not going to spoil.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if we'll ever get the full story about why they couldn't finish a full sandbox game in five years while Ubisoft has turned this poo poo into a science by now.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

2house2fly posted:

I don't know why it takes the chef so long to prepare my filet mignon while McDonald's can heave a burger through my car window in seconds.

A burger is better than a charred piece of meat with no side dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He's very wrong and I will not stand for slander such as

It had potential, but there's just mechanics in here and no fun game around it. It's funny how MGR, a much cheaper and shorter game, still pleases me to think about and replay whereas I never want to touch MGSV again.

• Locked thread