Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Lonely Virgil posted:

Washbear remodels man's kitchen, adding a value of over $5,000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DfGf4M3QZo

:allears: Washbear Willie is like the animal version of that lady who eats drywall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ukn8aoUBY

Rival
Dec 13, 2004

Is it racist to think all raccoons look the same? Because I think I may have proof Cash Crab is cheating on his wife, but I can't be sure because raccoons all look the same.

Rival has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Aug 24, 2015

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Story time:

While my mom was in the Army Reserves she had to do "guard duty" overnight during her 2 weeks a year.

She spent one night locked in the cab of a supply truck repeating to herself and her partner, "there's nothing we can do..."

Raccoons busted into the back of the truck, ripped open all the MREs and took only the junk food like chips and cheetos. And probably the adorably tiny bottles of Tabasco. It looked like a tornado the next morning and a whole truck of food no one was going to eat anyway (probably) got written off.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

moonsour posted:

Story time:

While my mom was in the Army Reserves she had to do "guard duty" overnight during her 2 weeks a year.

She spent one night locked in the cab of a supply truck repeating to herself and her partner, "there's nothing we can do..."

Raccoons busted into the back of the truck, ripped open all the MREs and took only the junk food like chips and cheetos. And probably the adorably tiny bottles of Tabasco. It looked like a tornado the next morning and a whole truck of food no one was going to eat anyway (probably) got written off.

I'm amazed they could even tell there was food in the packs since they are sealed. It would have been a hellacious mess I'm sure since so few packs contained 'corn chips' and 'cheese curls' (they were always labelled generically) since snack items are always in so few.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

moonsour posted:

Story time:

Those tiny bottles of tabasco are the cutest food things. I can just imagine eine Waschbär using one.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Blackchamber posted:

I'm amazed they could even tell there was food in the packs since they are sealed. It would have been a hellacious mess I'm sure since so few packs contained 'corn chips' and 'cheese curls' (they were always labelled generically) since snack items are always in so few.
They've probably done it before. And yeah there was boxes and plastic all over the ground around the truck as they threw away everything they didn't like. I wonder if they took any of the "just add water" mixes :haw:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Oh man, I like James Gunn even more now.

I don't have anything on-topic to contribute, but beavers are nice people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sekLEG8xsOs

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rival posted:

Is it racist to think all raccoons look the same? Because I think I may have proof Cash Crab is cheating on his wife, but I can't be sure because raccoons all look the same.

If you've been paying attention, then you'll notice multiple people have courted for my affections on this board. I am very famous in that respect. Titties, for instance, and possibly goose fleet.

Pictured: A group of potential suitors.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

quote:

A group of raccoons is called a gaze.

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005
:crow::nws::crow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9hkXJvDlPU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

This is art

So is this:

cash crab has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Aug 24, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
New fave thread

sure are cuddlier than tasmanian devils

Goat Attack
May 10, 2004

what the shit

Jesus, Cash Crab, leave some for the other raccoons.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Goat Attack posted:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cash crab posted:

If you've been paying attention, then you'll notice multiple people have courted for my affections on this board. I am very famous in that respect. Titties, for instance, and possibly goose fleet.

Pictured: A group of potential suitors.

im the food bowl

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Bored posted:

I think someone in another thread, that turned into a raccoon derail because raccoons are hilarious, mentioned that they were called washer bears and the country didn't even actually have any native species of bears. I came to the conclusion that English is the only language that doesn't call them washer bears. I'm sure that's untrue, but washer bear is just such a great name for them.

Some languages are boring and just borrow the English word. The Celtic languages do this, Irish = racún, Welsh = racŵn, Breton = rakoun, and it's probably similar in Manx and Scottish Gaelic.

I love raccoons now but I hated them when I was a kid. I grew up on a farm and for most of my childhood we had problems with them killing our chickens and barn cats. We even tried putting food out for them at the edge of the woods but they still kept attacking our animals. Since we were poor as hell we couldn't afford to lose chickens like that, so I spent a lot of summer nights with a rifle waiting in the dark for poor washbears which we'd often eat because free meat is free meat when you're that poor :smith:

There aren't any raccoons where I live now which is a shame because I'd really like to be able to see them in the wild outside of that previous context. I just want to throw them tasty treats :3:

Have a big, lazy fatty to make up for my sad raccoon story :3:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Goat Attack posted:

"I loving LOVE MILK"

What a perfect specimen. This is a scientifically perfect animal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Internet Kraken posted:

I never had to deal with racoons in my neighborhood. I think its because our woods were dominated by these incredibly nasty bobcats and they probably beat the poo poo out of any racoons they saw wandering around. I would of rather dealt with racoons to be honest though. Sure they might knock over your garbage but they won't wake you up at night with the most unholy screaching you've ever heard. Bobcat fights are nasty.

Best part of camping is the terrifying noises randomly coming from the dark after you've fallen asleep.

Went camping in Tasmania once. Did. Not. Sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwhJ9ZMHAFo

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

You serious? Raccoons screaming is some of the worst sounds I've heard in my new apartment. I have a huge strip of grass under my big window that leads to the alleyway so I hear them loving and screaming down there every other night. And it's not like there's wolves attacking them, it's just raccoons going after other raccoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFMPY1BWaFs

This is what they sound like. Fat fucks always hang out in the alley behind the building too, rummaging through the garbage. I work nights from home so when I leave to go get some drinks from the place next door there's always a bunch of screaming loving raccoons hanging around back there I have to chase away so I can walk to the store.

They're cute but they're little shits at night.

I get to hear something like this about one night in five:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGBRHUSxCio&t=51s

I'll take your raccoons any day.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

I get to hear something like this about one night in five:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGBRHUSxCio&t=51s

I'll take your raccoons any day.

Dropbears are just the lovely australian version of Raccoons. :(

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I knew coons were tasty before I knew what they looked like.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Soviet Commubot posted:

I love raccoons now but I hated them when I was a kid. I grew up on a farm and for most of my childhood we had problems with them killing our chickens and barn cats. We even tried putting food out for them at the edge of the woods but they still kept attacking our animals. Since we were poor as hell we couldn't afford to lose chickens like that, so I spent a lot of summer nights with a rifle waiting in the dark for poor washbears which we'd often eat because free meat is free meat when you're that poor :smith:

I love them too but I also support the idea of killing them or any animal that is killing your livestock and pets.

I grew up on wild meat as well so I don't have an issue with eating it if it is good. How do they taste? I am very curious now.

E: A few months back one of the residents had a problem with squirrels getting into his apartment and destroying stuff. The pest control guy caught about half-a-dozen huge, plump squirrels. I tried to talk him into letting me have them but he wouldn't. I was going to eat them.

titties has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Aug 25, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

titties posted:

I love them too but I also support the idea of killing them or any animal that is killing your livestock and pets.

I grew up on wild meat as well so I don't have an issue with eating it if it is good. How do they taste? I am very curious now.

like most small animals, they are best in a stew so the taste is not really important. They taste like wild rabbit and seem to be a little more parasite free than squirrels somehow.

Crockpot over a long time is the way to go.

titties
May 10, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

like most small animals, they are best in a stew so the taste is not really important. They taste like wild rabbit and seem to be a little more parasite free than squirrels somehow.

If the pest control guy had given me the squirrels I would have made curry. I wanted that curry so bad.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Koalas are swimming in STDs as if there isn't reason enough to hate them.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I thought it was just chlamydia, they have more?

And how?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

titties posted:

If the pest control guy had given me the squirrels I would have made curry. I wanted that curry so bad.

If you want to eat vermin so bad just buy one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Raccoon-Trap-Hunting-Setup-Anyone/dp/B004414PY8

Only raccoons go paws first for stuff so it wont catch your dog or any other animals.
This trap is way too effective.

titties
May 10, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

If you want to eat vermin so bad just buy one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Raccoon-Trap-Hunting-Setup-Anyone/dp/B004414PY8

Only raccoons go paws first for stuff so it wont catch your dog or any other animals.
This trap is way too effective.

I can't trap and eat things without a reason.

If I really wanted to eat raccoons and stuff that bad I'd just get a permit and hunt them, and I don't really feel like it. I just wouldn't want them to go to waste if they were already being killed.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Don't gently caress koalas, problem solved.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Gorilla Salad posted:

The sounds of my childhood. :allears:

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Gorilla Salad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuos9YvAcsY

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Fauxtool posted:

Their feces actually contains really mean roundworms that do horrible things to dogs and humans. I think there was even an episode of house about a Baylisascaris procyonis infection. Which isn't a concern for you if washed your hands after handling it then cooked it.

Study on the prevalence of the parasite in California, where I just learned that raccoons poo poo in communal areas called "latrines":
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/9/12/03-0039_article

Also, finally looked up what the scientific name for raccoons means. "The raccoon's scientific name, Procyon lotor, is neo-Latin, meaning "before-dog washer", with lotor Latin for "washer" and Procyon Latinized Greek from προ-, "before" and κύων, "dog"."

Here is a raccoon helping a dog with its oral hygiene. That sounds either dirty or horrifying, but it this video is neither.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWZPA5kGGd8

And a litter of kits are rescued and rehabilitated after their mom died in someones attic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z95nXbfv-4
They destroy an expensive pair of boots while using the guy who rescued them as a jungle gym. They are being rehabilitated by someone else who knows what she's doing though.

Bored has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Aug 25, 2015

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

New episodes of Twin Peaks lookin good

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

titties posted:

I can't trap and eat things without a reason.

If I really wanted to eat raccoons and stuff that bad I'd just get a permit and hunt them, and I don't really feel like it. I just wouldn't want them to go to waste if they were already being killed.

:smith: First the stew, now this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It's OK to raccoon

It's not OK to eat raccoon