Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
A raccoon story:

When I worked at a summer camp, we left those little shelf-stable packets of butter out on the tables in the eating lodge. They were the little cups with the foil on top that you peel off. But then we would get into the place in the morning and they would be missing or they'd be empty: the foil ripped off and the little cups littering the tables. There were tons of rat traps everywhere (this is rural Michigan, so rat/squirrel traps) around the outside of the eating lodge, plus they locked up every other food source at night to keep smells from attracting animals. One of the central staff members even suggested it might be a camper who bragged about eating an entire stick of butter. So we decided to have two counselors stay in the eating lodge until after everyone had gone to sleep to catch the butter thief in the act. They stayed until about midnight when they heard the back screen door open, but not slam shut and little padded feet come into the eating lodge. Thinking they were about to catch a butter-craving 9 year old girl, they jump out with flashlights on and scare what was apparently the fattest raccoon either of them had ever seen. He didn't even freak out, he just ignored them and grabbed a butter cup to stick his little people hands into.

We named him Methuselah and left a little bowl of whatever we'd had for dinner at the back of the eating lodge after they started to lock up the butter every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Worst defensive posturing ever.

:3::3::3::3:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Clearly you've never met anyone who owns a Maltese. Actually, my Australian Cattle Dog and one of my parents' corgis both piss themselves when they get really really excited.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
In my albeit limited experience with boyfriends, they're not very good as washing.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Those kids and their gangs!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

twistedmentat posted:

There's a bulldog puppy near me that when she was tiny she was super adorable, but now she's gotten all fat, and its sad because I know she's less than a year old, but you can hear her weezing. Like seriously, think about how much you are feeding your pet.

Wild fat racoons would be a sign of success I'd assume.

Thin bulldogs wheeze. It's usually because they're so hosed from breeding with their close relatives that their bodies don't develop well. That's why they only live for like 7 years.

Spoiler because sad things:
The rescue we got our dog from rescued a bulldog puppy from a breeder that had severe Swimmer Puppy syndrome. They had done a lot of work to rehabilitate her and she was almost able to walk unassisted, when her windpipe's growth was stunted because of genetics and she basically suffocated. Bulldogs and squished-nose dogs in general are in the process of being bred into oblivion because the AKC won't let someone introduce some fresh chromosomes into the mixture.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

twistedmentat posted:

I bet if you gave a hot dog to a racoon they'd eat it the right way.

But yea, I've seen enough cats and dogs giving pained looked to their owners that are asking for treats, and it is hard to refuse.

For overfed dogs that need to lose weight but look hungry, consider feeding them some green beans with their food. It's healthy, low calorie, cheap and good for them. I have a slightly chunky pup that we feed treats of sweet potato and green beans to and she's into it. I feel like I was just talking about this in another thread but its pretty easy to get dogs to eat high fiber/low fat content foods to lose weight.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Who washes the washbears?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Thank for your essay on raccoons. Next time post your favorite raccoon.

Sorry for screen cap. This is Winston.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

xcheopis posted:

I like the majority of the pictures posted here but, to me, the Melanie Raccoon ones give off a creepy "circus animal" vibe. They aren't cute, they are grotesque.

The owner's Instagram account gives some context. The lady owns three raccoons who were surrendered to her. She takes good care of them and posts a lot of pictures of them playing with each other or hanging out. I think the tricks she makes them do are an intelligence outlet for them to keep them from being destructive.
Like, she seems a little kooky, but she's also a lady with three raccoons as pets so what can you expect?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
https://instagram.com/p/BDGfhQrSQyt/

Melanie raccoon says that can't be true!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Ixtlilton posted:

Similar to that story, my parents have a raccoon in their neighborhood who is very fat. We suspect that this is because whenever they grill he comes by and eats the grease from the pan under the grill because it's always empty without us having to clean it and he's up on the deck sometimes. Keep up the good work fat raccoon.

When I worked at a summer camp, the dining hall had those shelf-stable butter packets on the tables. We kept coming in and seeing the butter locked out but the packets everywhere on tables in the morning. The director of the camp told us to keep an eye on our "heavier" kids to see if they were sneaking out for butter parties late at night, but it kept happening until she decided to stake it out one night and saw three enormously overweight raccoons toddle in, deftly open the packets and lick all of the butter out, then waddle their way out. Fat kids, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce