Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mans posted:

i live in a country with no racoons so i really don't know much about them but they seem like the cutest things i've ever saw

are they like rats in that they lurk around urban areas and feed off garbage? are they domestic animals? are they always as big and fat as in those videos? are they aggressive?

they seem like a mixture between the scavenging habits of rats and the personality of a sloth

Raccoons are generalized omnivores and have evolved primate level intelligence in order to extract food from their surroundings. This basically makes them perfect for living in urbanized habitats. They don't have opposable thumbs, but their fingers are long, thin and lack webbing. They're dexterous and smart enough to open latches, doors, jars, etc. They're sociable and smart enough that a lot will come up to people to be hand fed. They're not domesticated, so as pets they can be destructive, hard/impossible to train, and may lash out unexpectedly. They have big fluffy fur coats which used to be a big deal in the fur trade. Their primary sense is touch, which is why they get all handsy with everything. Soaking their hands and the object they're examining in water amplifies that sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
http://i.imgur.com/RGkgHuY.gifv

This image is good for illustrating why Raccoons are both loved and hated.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Like I said earlier, the Raccoon is an extreme omnivore that relies on high intelligence and dexterous manipulation to secure food. There's another seemingly radically different animal that fits the same profile.

The Kea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdvRCkCNfo

And just like with Raccoons, opinions are split between "OMG they're so adorable and clever!" and "Holy poo poo, they disassembled my car!"

P.S. gently caress THA POLICE! :parrot:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Dp7HJiGRU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yeah, really. In a thousand generations, we might start seeing some opposable thumbs.

You joke, but some people think that the challenges present in urban living are genuinely applying selective pressure in the direction of smarter and more social raccoons. Already, raccoons caught in the city seem to be smarter than their rural cousins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Every time I see gifs of Raccoons getting all handsy, it makes me think of some guy who's gotten a little too high and now he wants to touch everything.

:ducksiren: Dude... dude.. dude let me touch your hair. Everything feels amazing!