Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Bored posted:

I think someone in another thread, that turned into a raccoon derail because raccoons are hilarious, mentioned that they were called washer bears and the country didn't even actually have any native species of bears. I came to the conclusion that English is the only language that doesn't call them washer bears. I'm sure that's untrue, but washer bear is just such a great name for them.

Some languages are boring and just borrow the English word. The Celtic languages do this, Irish = racún, Welsh = racŵn, Breton = rakoun, and it's probably similar in Manx and Scottish Gaelic.

I love raccoons now but I hated them when I was a kid. I grew up on a farm and for most of my childhood we had problems with them killing our chickens and barn cats. We even tried putting food out for them at the edge of the woods but they still kept attacking our animals. Since we were poor as hell we couldn't afford to lose chickens like that, so I spent a lot of summer nights with a rifle waiting in the dark for poor washbears which we'd often eat because free meat is free meat when you're that poor :smith:

There aren't any raccoons where I live now which is a shame because I'd really like to be able to see them in the wild outside of that previous context. I just want to throw them tasty treats :3:

Have a big, lazy fatty to make up for my sad raccoon story :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU