Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Raccoons do seem to fit a lot of the criteria for taming, if not necessarily domestication. They're gregarious and social, have vaguely recognisable body language, eat a lot of the same stuff we eat and seem to be quite intelligent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ToxicFrog posted:

That article seems to be very confused about the distinction between "taming" (habituating a wild individual to human contact and control) and "domestication" (selective breeding of an entire population for long-term cohabitation with humans).

Yeah, though I think I get the gist; raccoon behaviours are at the very least too far off from cats and dogs (both carnivores) for similar techniques to work, and they're too large and dextrous to be kept like rodents. I suppose one point of comparison might be monkeys; despite technically being possible to tame and live with, you still need a dedicated enclosure for them to live comfortably, and can't be left unsupervised in human environments like cats and dogs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wasabi the J posted:

I hear movie lines in normal conversation all the time, I can't believe I just kinda forgot all the marvel movies for a while.

To be fair a lot of them are pretty drat forgettable, the moreso the more they go on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That cat is VERY tolerant, or that raccoon has figured out new tricks of petting we didn't.