Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

goose fleet posted:

The wild ones are wary of you and just want food. I think the ones kept as pets are more affectionate. Sometimes. They all have different personalities.

Raccoons are very intelligent. Wild raccoons are wary of humans because they know humans are likely to kill them. Sometimes it was food, sometimes it was competition for food, but when food is scarce humans will eat them or prevent them from eating our food. When food is plentiful humans are more prone to sharing with animals we like. Wild raccoons are still accustomed to "OH gently caress IT'S A MURDER APE" and will be very cautious. Humans can and will kill the crap out of raccoons if we feel like it. But at the same time they're also hungry and if they notice that you aren't going to kill it and have food they'll see if they can get food from you.

Urban raccoons, or ones that are around friendly humans a lot, learned that certain behavior patterns (i.e., being cute and non-threatening) will get them fed instead of murdered. I don't think domesticated is quite the word for it; they aren't like dogs. That's why you get areas where raccoons are friendly and practically pets. They're still ultimately wild but they've learned that if they're bros with humans then they get an easy food source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU