Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
to another 20 years of sniping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

do you still need aol-era fate style sniping tools to win anything

all of the "wahhhh sniping" poo poo is dumb. you enter the highest amount you are willing to pay and if you lose it's because someone was willing to pay more than you. it's no different from how live actions have always worked.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The_Franz posted:

all of the "wahhhh sniping" poo poo is dumb. you enter the highest amount you are willing to pay and if you lose it's because someone was willing to pay more than you. it's no different from how live actions have always worked.

True, BUT! If I see a widget and I put a snype on it at my top price, it sits unbid and unnoticed til the end of the auction, and other bidders might bid low under me in the meantime. If I bid when I see the thing, anyone else can see my bid and if they want it more they can bid me up and out.

I have gotten some deece deals through an autosniper, git gud.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah sniping still works on ebay, I'm puzzled as to why they didn't just switch to "final price is after nobody bids for 2 minutes" or something like that

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

yeah sniping still works on ebay, I'm puzzled as to why they didn't just switch to "final price is after nobody bids for 2 minutes" or something like that

because that would be bullshit? most people prefer having a known end time

yahoo auctions or some other second tier auction site probably has that

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

qirex posted:

lol

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

put the max you're willing to pay for something and if you didn't get it then you didn't want it as bad as someone else it's not complicated

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"wah wah i lost the auction. ebay should extend the time and that would somehow have meant i would have won"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

"wah wah i lost the auction. ebay should extend the time and that would somehow have meant i would have won"

this is how irl auctions work, they keep going until people stop bidding, did you not know this?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
ebay needs a penny auction section and maybe split profits 50/50 with seller. consider this idea on the house, yahoo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bag of crap as a service

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Triglav posted:

ebay needs a penny auction section and maybe split profits 50/50 with seller. consider this idea on the house, yahoo

what would the benefit be?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

attaching ebay's and yahoo's name to an exploitative enterprise that will help keep yahoo afloat in this trying financial time

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

this is how irl auctions work, they keep going until people stop bidding, did you not know this?

and guess what people don't want that, for their internet buying website

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Triglav posted:

attaching ebay's and yahoo's name to an exploitative enterprise that will help keep yahoo afloat in this trying financial time

the last thing anyone wants is friction for buyers or sellers, which seems to be all penny auctions really are at the end of the day, in comparison

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Mido posted:

the last thing anyone wants is friction for buyers or sellers, which seems to be all penny auctions really are at the end of the day, in comparison

but every item will have a handful of idiots spending hundreds of dollars to buy things for tens of dollars, netting yahoo thousands. they can still keep their normal stuff, just have the penny auction section to fleece idiots. it's win–win. idiots think they got a deal and yahoo gets ppls paychecks and child support payments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

im still waiting on my money from paypal on a item i shipped with tracking number and all

3 weeks or so for my cash haha

i have like 48 rating or something and htis was my first sale, maybe thats it

• Locked thread