Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rynder posted:

TOS is boring and is behind voyager in any serious rankings.

"serious rankings?" Oh no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five
Jan 6, 2009

this is what I was going to do

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
*installs LCARS into automatic toilet lcd panel*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

David Copperfield posted:

Reminder that the automatic toilets at the Star Trek thing in Vegas said "sample collected" when they flushed

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Luigi Thirty posted:

Reminder that the automatic toilets at the Star Trek thing in Vegas said "sample collected" when they flushed

holy poo poo i went there like 3 times and never noticed that :wth:

they did have slot machines you could wave your hand through to spin tho

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

David Copperfield posted:

*toilet will now explode when clogged and take half the house with it*

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Update:

This thread is also about sexy San Francisco Dukat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like Enterprise

gently caress you

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

Update:

This thread is also about sexy San Francisco Dukat.

mon frere

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Why would anyone think kira was hot she looks like a 14 year old boy

You could not possibly be more wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPsk8hjnhmw

You probably meant Ezri.

Maniac Pahis
Nov 3, 2010

by Ralp
Sisko's a friend of the family lol

Or is he

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
RE: that stark trek apartment

The flat looked like a poo poo hole before and the guy clearly put a lot of effort into doing the place up. Imagine if he actually just put that effort into making into a cool looking flat a normal person would have.

Also I can't remember any of the actual living quarters people lived in having that much strobe lighting

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

TEAYCHES posted:

gul dukat did nothing wrong

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
People have joked about it in this thread but the star trek house guy was unsurprisingly a paedophile for reals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32736286/star-trek-flat-for-sale-after-owner-jailed

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Wowbagger2004 posted:

People have joked about it in this thread but the star trek house guy was unsurprisingly a paedophile for reals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32736286/star-trek-flat-for-sale-after-owner-jailed

it keeps happening

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rynder posted:

TOS is boring and is behind voyager in any serious rankings.

that's because voyager is more brain dead and also has higher production values :riker:

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

blowfish posted:

that's because voyager is more brain dead and also has higher production values :riker:

good opinions itt

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wowbagger2004 posted:

hahaha lol holy gently caress

it's amazing how star trek attracts pedos and/or otherwise broken people more than other scifi shows

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
In the 24th century the UK finally figures out you can get hot and cold water from 1 tap.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Majere posted:

In the 24th century the UK finally figures out you can get hot and cold water from 1 tap.

in addition, how to build plugs that take up less than a square mile, don't fall off the socket and aren't an electrocution risk

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dukat had redeeming qualities.

Though Romney'd get my vote if he calls up someone at 4 in the morning just to say "Hey, I hosed your mom :smug:."

blowfish posted:

hahaha lol holy gently caress

it's amazing how star trek attracts pedos and/or otherwise broken people more than other scifi shows

I have a theory Voyager fans are the worst because there is seriously a loving character that's like 5 years old or something that fucks the crew, including a plad wearing children's show mascot reject.

Actually writing that makes me glad I hate that loving show, I've only made it through one episode in it's entirety and I was waiting for it to end.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 23, 2015

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Wowbagger2004 posted:

I'm really glad the people around me aren't asking why the gently caress I started laughing so hard.

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dukat had redeeming qualities.

He did until someone decided to make him cartoonishly evil at the end because they didn't want people sympathising with a space nazi. No room for grey areas in the 24th century!

I really liked that episode of DS9 where they trigger an old Cardassian defence program that was designed to put down a Bajoran uprising - the best bit was how sincere Dukat seemed on the recorded announcements when he's asking the Bajoran labourers to give up or further lives will be lost. The implication that Dukat spent hours recording veideos for every forseeable scenario and going all out emoting the part for each one is pretty spot on for his character, I reckon.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually writing that makes me glad I hate that loving show, I've only made it through one episode in it's entirety and I was waiting for it to end.

Yeah. Equinox was pretty good though.

Tyrannosword fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 23, 2015

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Thanks for answering my question, I wonder if anyone bought it.

God damned how did people know he was a pedo... I mean just because of aatrek or like, if someone converts their living space into a space ship it's because they want to lure kids there? I was like a little pissed that people were like "yea he's a pedo" and it turns out to be true god drat.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have a theory Voyager fans are the worst because there is seriously a loving character that's like 5 years old or something that fucks the crew, including a plad wearing children's show mascot reject.

b b but she's part of a race that only lives less long than humans so what is your problem :aatrek:

by the way i know a voyager fan and while he is not a pedo (as far as i know, i haven't checked :yikes:) he is a terrible lolbertarian

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 23, 2015

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

b b but she's part of a race that only lives less long than humans so what is your problem :aatrek:

So the plaid-wearing mascot wasn't just molesting a child, he was molesting a child with a terminal illness? :gonk:

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib
"It doesn't matter, they only live for nine years."

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tyrannosword posted:

"It doesn't matter, they only live for nine years."

also can only have one child

hmmm it takes two to form a babby what does that imply for their survival as a species hmmm

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

also can only have one child

hmmm it takes two to form a babby what does that imply for their survival as a species hmmm

maybe the men can have babies too?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rutibex posted:

maybe the men can have babies too?

are you making me watch an actual voyager episode to prove you wrong

you monster

(given that it's star trek and they look like people and aren't evil they probably have the sexual morals of 90s family friendly TV so probably not)

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Tyrannosword posted:

He did until someone decided to make him cartoonishly evil at the end because they didn't want people sympathising with a space nazi. No room for grey areas in the 24th century!

I really liked that episode of DS9 where they trigger an old Cardassian defence program that was designed to put down a Bajoran uprising - the best bit was how sincere DUkat seemed on the recorded announcements when he's asking the Bajoran labourers to give up or further lives will be lost. The implication that Dukat spent hours recording veideos for every forseeable scenario and going all out emoting the part for each one is pretty spot on for his character, I reckon.

he does ds9s moral ambiguity thing real well. he was a liberal softie by cardassian occupier standards but was still, you know, a cardassian occupier

also big ups to ds9 being the last major tv show to ever be like "yeah the good guys were terrorists who killed civilians and noncombatants and were also in the right"

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Ambrose Burnside posted:

also big ups to ds9 being the last major tv show to ever be like "yeah the good guys were terrorists who killed civilians and noncombatants and were also in the right"

IRA funding was alive and kicking back then. It was harder for the USA to justify funding and lionising terrorists after 9/11.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

he does ds9s moral ambiguity thing real well. he was a liberal softie by cardassian occupier standards but was still, you know, a cardassian occupier

I have to admit I always find that absolutely hilarious.

They would never call a main character a terrorist today, even if that's exactly what they were. And not only that, have them unapologetic of it....

... and then the series ends with terrorism kind of saving the day. Sometimes I think DS9 is nothing but a dark satire of Star Trek, and I'm OK with that.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 23, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

the plebs are simple minded and cannot deal with people who don't neatly fit into "good" or "evil" categories, or for that matter any sort of further independent thought

unironically

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Plucky Brit posted:

IRA funding was alive and kicking back then. It was harder for the USA to justify funding and lionising terrorists after 9/11.

Makes Ollie North an even bigger loser then before frankly.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to admit I always find that absolutely hilarious.

They would never call a main character a terrorist today, even if that's exactly what they were. And not only that, have them unapologetic of it....

... and then the series ends with terrorism kind of saving the day. Sometimes I think DS9 is nothing but a dark satire of Star Trek, and I'm OK with that.

thats kind of ds9's intellectual anchor. where tng was like the perfect Space Liberalism fantasy, ds9 grounds that and plays with it by juxtaposing that idealism with the realities of non-federation frontier life and the tensions that result. it does the same thing later on in the series with Section 31, where it turns out that uh no the federations purity of heart doesnt win the day, its willing to do the same sort of conniving poo poo that everyone else is, they just pretend otherwise b/c of Ideology. theres a bunch of episode where sisko or other federation dudes have to do some real dirt to get what they want, and the conflict that results is what makes things so compelling

whereas voyagers intellectual anchor is "what if we filled a starship with poorly-written sociopaths and cut them loose from starfleet" and there is no conflict or introspection at all

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 23, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
remember tuvix. lol *murders a decent man and friend, pleading for his life, in cold blood; straightens uniform; back on course warp 8 engage*

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

thats kind of ds9's intellectual anchor. where tng was like the perfect Space Liberalism fantasy, ds9 grounds that and plays with it by juxtaposing that idealism with the realities of non-federation frontier life and the tensions that result. it does the same thing later on in the series with Section 31, where it turns out that uh no the federations purity of heart doesnt win the day, its willing to do the same sort of conniving poo poo that everyone else is, they just pretend otherwise b/c of Ideology. theres a bunch of episode where sisko or other federation dudes have to do some real dirt to get what they want, and the conflict that results is what makes things so compelling

whereas voyagers intellectual anchor is "what if we filled a starship with poorly-written sociopaths and cut them loose from starfleet" and there is no conflict or introspection at all

voyager even failed to actually make use of, uh, the whole premise of the show (that voyager got stranded in the middle of nowhere) beyond having other federation ships show up less regularly

the ship looked as shiny as on day one till a few episodes before the end and aside from an episode on integrating the maquis into voyager's crew at the beginning it's just regular alien-of-the-week bullshit with occasional "this helps us go home quicker" excuse plots

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ambrose Burnside posted:

theres a bunch of episode where sisko or other federation dudes have to do some real dirt to get what they want, and the conflict that results is what makes things so compelling

It's okay though, because he can live with it.

He can live with it.

Tyrannosword fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
voyager commits the double mega sin of 1) squandering all the potential of its premise and 2) ruining all kinds of interesting established ideas like the Q continuum and the borg by filling in all the mysterious gaps that made them compelling with stupid bullshit. on top of being badly written. god drat you brannon braga, god drat you to heck

• Locked thread