Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
first season is interesting cause they had no idea to what extent/in what ways they wanted to get out from under the TOS shadow but i wouldnt say its good star trek

the score from s1 legit owns tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
is that galaxy quest tv show cancelled yet or what. also how terrible are peoples expectations of it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Just watched Renegades. It's hilariously bad.
My favourite part is when Emo Girl and Bad Guy are fighting, Bad Guy knocks John Connor out of the way and then both Emo Girl and Bad Guy stare at him for like a good 10 seconds before Bad Guy remembers to shoot him. Such awesome choreography.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rutibex posted:

first season rocks, you have no idea what your talking about. the music is like 100x more interesting

Ron Jones didn't get fired until like season four

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Wowbagger2004 posted:

People have joked about it in this thread but the star trek house guy was unsurprisingly a paedophile for reals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32736286/star-trek-flat-for-sale-after-owner-jailed
It's the tragic joke that keeps on giving.

Delsaber posted:

Why would anyone design a house like this!
How are you supposed to pretend you're in space when you can see sunlight?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Dukat did nothing wrong.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Entropic posted:

How are you supposed to pretend you're in space when you can see sunlight?

you're flying into a sun to bluff the invisible aliens experimenting on your crew. duh do you even watch voyager

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
by grabthar's hammer.............................................................................. what a savings

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

Ron Jones didn't get fired until like season four

yeah and seasons 5-7 have like the blandest music possible

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Paramount allows fan films because they know they're all going to be so terrible that no one other than the kind of die-hard fans who make them is going to watch them anyway, and why antagonize the people who are going to buy all your poo poo forever?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Moridin920 posted:

by grabthar's hammer.............................................................................. what a savings

*visible flinching in lip muscles*

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Figaro posted:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...~pmk3JTeWPYaYzn[/url]

Oh dear, is it that day already? Those poor poor desperate actors...and Icheb. Seriously who gives a gently caress what that little scote is up to.

Will watch until Edward Furlong turns up

I was wondering what John McCain was doing in this until somebody said Chekov

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are Tuvok and Bob Picardo really so hard up for cash that they need to do these crap? Or do these fans have some kind of blackmail on them?

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
they threatened to release their neelix sex tape if they didn't show up

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Entropic posted:

Are Tuvok and Bob Picardo really so hard up for cash that they need to do these crap? Or do these fans have some kind of blackmail on them?

Tuvok directed this thing. It's like when you see the last film credit on some actor's Wikipedia before reading about their suicide.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

In my expanded universe works Neelix and Ch'Rega's sex tape made them the Kim K and Ray J of the Delta quadrant. With Neelix, as both the receptive partner and more fashion-forward one, as the Kim K.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Hmmm okay "Star Trek Captain Pike" is a thing, too

---------------------
The group — which calls itself Rigel 7 Productions — aims to first make a 45-minute feature called "Star Trek: Captain Pike," then produce the 90-minute movie "Star Trek: Encounter at Rigel."

So far Rigel 7 Productions' Kickstarter campaign has raised almost $24,000 of its $112,000 goal. The campaign will close on June 3.

Rigel 7 Productions says "Encounter at Rigel" wouldanswer three questions raised by "The Cage" pilot episode: What happened to Pike's first officer and science officer (Mr. Spock) on the first mission; if Pike ever went into battle; and what alien race he encountered.

Pike will be played by Todd Shawn Tei, the producer of the show. The cast also includes Robert Picardo, who played The Doctor on "Star Trek: Voyager."

Other headliners include Bruce Davison ("Star Trek: Voyager and Enterprise"), Dwight Schultz ("Star Trek: TNG"), Linda Park ("Star Trek: Enterprise") and Chase Masterson ("Star Trek: Deep Space 9").
--------------------

I'll have to watch Renegades at another time, but it looks like the usual poo poo that makes Mary Sue fanfic so awful: Swinging for the fences, hammering in so many linkages to canon that it makes the universe seem smaller, and botching the fundamentals. Of course Mascara Chick is a descendant of Khan Noonien Singh! Of course Tuvok is in charge of Section 31 now! Jesus christ.

I guess I'll try ANAXANXAR or whatever the poo poo. That one looked better and less whizzy and crazy. You know, if these people had absorbed a heavy dose of cynicism and hateful, post-nerd awareness of the subject matter, they would make better stuff. Which is why I think goons may be the perfect people to write a fantrek script. Remember the TNG episode where they rescued a lady from some space antenna relay station, and Geordi formed a deep relationship with her video diaries, and her dog turned out to be The Thing? We could write a good script about people who have poo poo jobs like that and throw on some DS9-style critique of the Federation and some "Why is O'Brien the only enlisted man in the Federation?" crap and it would be better than these silly, overwrought fanmades. I'm sure Robert Picardo would jump onboard.

Also, this: "For reference, the film Star Trek Into Darkness had an estimated budget of $190 million" ha ha really? 200 million clams? drat!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tujague posted:

We could write a good script about people who have poo poo jobs like that and throw on some DS9-style critique of the Federation and some "Why is O'Brien the only enlisted man in the Federation?" crap and it would be better than these silly, overwrought fanmades.

I would watch the poo poo out of Star Trek: These Guys. Imagine being lower than O'Brien on the totem pole. Working for Aldebaran Staffing Solutions Inc. on a 9 month contract of barrel-hoisting in an era when robotics would make a trillion times more sense and keeping out the sneaking suspicion that you are being kept around only as an organ donor for darling son Commanders and Lt. Commanders.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Star Trek: These Guys: Episode 1: Scene opens in a big cargo bay on the Enterprise. A loud thudding noise is heard from outside the frame.

Worf (voice): BLEARRRRGG!
Riker (voice): WORF!!!
Frank: Oh, poo poo, that barrel just fell on the loving Klingon!
Nick: Is he OK?
Gwarb'au'zor'phron: Uhhh, okay, put that poo poo down and let's get out of sight.
Nick: poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo
Frank: We totally stacked those barrels right, didn't we? I don't even think we stacked those barrels. Did we? That's not on us.
Gwarb'au'zor'phron: Keep walking. Get around the back of the shuttle.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

A great episode of B5 followed around a couple of maintenance workers around for the episode. Would watch a series about them.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Axanar owned because they went with the one actor documentary style, not despite it. It basically sidesteps every problem that cheap productions with crappy actors have and gives us a pretty clever DS9 style-story to boot.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Star Trek: These Guys episode 2 is about not having access to the same medical facilities as federation citizens and watching Dr. Crusher fawn over the needless holodeck injuries of the crews complement of fake gymnasts and kayakers. Dr. Bev tosses the These Guys a handful of mixed, loose moldy pills for their searing back pain and shorn vertebrae and acts like she is doing them a favor, while really she's just scouting the These Guys for a trade for some fancy flower seeds with that reckless spine transplant doctor.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 25, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of Star Trek: These Guys. Imagine being lower than O'Brien on the totem pole. Working for Aldebaran Staffing Solutions Inc. on a 9 month contract of barrel-hoisting in an era when robotics would make a trillion times more sense and keeping out the sneaking suspicion that you are being kept around only as an organ donor for darling son Commanders and Lt. Commanders.

Isn't this basically the premise of Red Dwarf? Working stiffs in space?

As a comedy I guess the concept is passable (yeah, that's right, I didn't care for Red Dwarf. deal w/ it) but honestly if you want a show about janitors you don't need to spend a million dollars to put it in space. Got lots of janitors down here on Earth.

The General posted:

A great episode of B5 followed around a couple of maintenance workers around for the episode. Would watch a series about them.

I disagree, I think that episode was lame as gently caress. Not even so much for the "working-class guys' perspective" as for the ultra-cornball way it was written. Which yes it was more cornball than the usual episode of B5. :colbert:

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Tujague posted:

Of course Tuvok is in charge of Section 31 now!

why are you lying? stop your hurting me

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

As a comedy I guess the concept is passable (yeah, that's right, I didn't care for Red Dwarf. deal w/ it) but honestly if you want a show about janitors you don't need to spend a million dollars to put it in space. Got lots of janitors down here on Earth.
Not a comedy, a story of those trod on by the blithe principles of the prime directive and being squeezed to death by the handcuffed invisible hand of oppressed market economics in a post-scarcity world. A show about sweeping up the hair clippings of some rear end in a top hat that gets to spend four weeks on Risa because he was was a lil' stressed after sending a dozen of your friends to their death because he wanted to try and rescue his collar-pipped bestie.

You don't need to spend a million dollars to put a show about the captain of a vessel and their crew in space either.

You are off the production committee Farmer Crack-rear end, you'll never get to shoehorn your talentless kids into cherry SAG speaking roles.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

Star Trek: These Guys episode 2 is about not having access to the same medical facilities as federation citizens and watching Dr. Crusher fawn over the needless holodeck injuries of the crews complement of fake gymnasts and kayakers. Dr. Bev tosses the These Guys a handful of mixed, loose moldy pills for their searing back pain and shorn vertebrae and acts like she is doing them a favor, while really she's just scouting the These Guys for a trade for some fancy flower seeds with that reckless spine transplant doctor.

They did this on Voyager (Critical Care). It was pretty good.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It seems like a show focused on menial laborers in star trek world would have to better address why menial laborers even exist in star trek world, which as far as I know is not something that's been substantively answered.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tuvok directed this thing. It's like when you see the last film credit on some actor's Wikipedia before reading about their suicide.
isn't tim russ like the biggest trekkie in human history and he'd be starring in lovely fan films even if he'd never been on official star trek?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0D9C5R4kTc

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I disagree, I think that episode was lame as gently caress. Not even so much for the "working-class guys' perspective" as for the ultra-cornball way it was written. Which yes it was more cornball than the usual episode of B5. :colbert:

I will admit I have terrible tastes, I also really liked the episode GROPOS.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The problem with fan films is that they're made by the kind of people who would make a fan film. I.e. people who, even if they have the requisite technical skills, have never had an original idea in their life.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strudel Man posted:

It seems like a show focused on menial laborers in star trek world would have to better address why menial laborers even exist in star trek world, which as far as I know is not something that's been substantively answered.

They banned genetic engineering, so there are just as many mildly stupid people as we have today. They might fix it if your baby is gonna have down's syndrome, but if your baby is just a medically normal below average schmuck you're stuck with them. What do you do with people who have the dumb but still buy into the party line of 'working to improve ourselves' despite having no useful skills or interesting talents?

Some people really really really want to do starfleet stuff, but can't hack starfleet academy. Or engineering school. Or medical technician school. Or barber college. They get to do a tour of duty as a barrel stacker . . . in space!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wasn't Dr Bashir a literal retard before his parents got him illegal genetic manipulation to make him a super-genius?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
For sort of the working stiffs in space thing with some Trek/Red Dwarf, I sort of want to recommend the old Flash series "Starship Regulars". It even has Dorn in it, if I remember. Showtime, about 14 years ago, I think was supposed to take over the show and were thinking about turning it into a full-length live-action or a full-length cartoon series on their network, but nothing really ever came from it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Entropic posted:

Wasn't Dr Bashir a literal retard before his parents got him illegal genetic manipulation to make him a super-genius?

Perhaps the absolute worst episode of DS9. Even worse than that Move Along Home episode.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The General posted:

Perhaps the absolute worst episode of DS9. Even worse than that Move Along Home episode.

Was that when they first brought in those other three weirdos who were super-geniuses but still complete social retards?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Entropic posted:

Was that when they first brought in those other three weirdos who were super-geniuses but still complete social retards?

That was later. They found out he's altered when Picardo is around interviewing everybody so he can make an EMH out of Bashier.
The socially retarded geniuses came later, and Bashier gets to deal with them, cause he's a genius too. To be honest, I kinda like those episodes too. Jack owns. :colbert:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Entropic posted:

I'm shocked when I looked up on Memory Beta a while back that there wasn't a lot of fiction out there about those characters.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Given that Bashir is maybe my favorite DS9 character, I'm really hoping that this special episode of his doesn't totally torpedo his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm shocked when I looked up on Memory Beta a while back that there wasn't a lot of fiction out there about those characters.

I bet there's lots on Memory Gamma.

• Locked thread