Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
No poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

When you walked into the Star Trek thread, saw the conversation about Dyson spheres, ablative space ship armour, Klingon otakus and transporter room location design, thought to yourself "realism sucks guys", you should have walked out.

You're going to focus on my usage of walk and fume silently, too.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Back to the good stuff: ezri's speech now has no weight at all after that good explanation about his culturizing. He's not the most honourable man, girl, he just buys into the lie more than any Klingon!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

When two old geezers stirred up a pail of blood scrapings and jizz to remake Kahless and it produced a weak old runt with the voice of a pack a day smoker, and the Empire still accepted him as a living god, well thats when Worf should have seen the light and walked away from the whole mess and got really into Nausicaan culture.

Its all on him.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Even as a kid I found it strange that they didn't have small one-person (or computer controlled) war ships that would fly out of the larger craft to confuse and inundate the opposing ship(s). Also the design of their flashlights were loving stupid, holding them overhand must be a bitch.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tarkus posted:

Even as a kid I found it strange that they didn't have small one-person (or computer controlled) war ships that would fly out of the larger craft to confuse and inundate the opposing ship(s). Also the design of their flashlights were loving stupid, holding them overhand must be a bitch.

Because Navy ships don't do that, and Starfleet is The Navy In Space.

I always felt Star Trek battles were almost ludicrously dignified, just dainty laser beams exchanged between two slow moving targets. DS9 actually gives space battles some meat, a lot of speed and explosive kick. The Defiant is such a cool loving ship.

I loved the DS9 episode where Sisko and the crew are stuck on a crashed ship and have to deal with a tense standoff with the Jem'Hadar. So loving intense.

Also, I was really worried about Odo when they turned him into a human but I'm so glad they did, he's so much more engaging now that he likes to drink and eat and gets boners. Rene Auberjonais may actually be the strongest acting performance on the show at that--Odo is played with a perfect blend of rigid authority and awkward vulnerability and he's incredibly fascinating for a character who is more alien than literally any other Star Trek alien regularly featured. He's a great character, and I love his bro-mance with Quark.

Oh man, and the episode where Quark and Odo climb a mountain together is fuckin' choice.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
The Odo-Kira relationship was the most awkward Goony Nice-Guy Fedora poo poo ever, even worse than Worf wanting to marry the first Klingon Woman who put out for him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Odo is great 90% of the time, but the other 10% is creepy "I bet vedek beriel can't change his dick's shape but I'm just gonna stalk Kira until she loves me" Odo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Why was young Keiko played by a brown haired Mexican girl?

Oh god she's having coffee with O'Brien.

"I dont know but this feels wrong... somehow..."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Poor Miles. Damned if he does damned if he doesnt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

Ah yes ablative armor. Just the thing for a multi-target engaement. Armor that cannot take two shots.

Ah yes ablative armor. Just the thing for a deep space mission, armor that needs to be continually replenished through extra vehicular activity.

If I recall the nerd tech explanations right, Defiant's ablative armour was designed so it was continuously reapplied via replication/transportation/space magic as it was blasted off.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 26, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MikeJF posted:

If I recall the nerd tech explanations right, Defiant's ablative armour was designed so it was continuously reapplied via replication/transportation/space magic as it was blasted off.

Thank god the Defiant first solved the "systems go down when under fire" problem that plagued every single star ship from every single race.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Nick Meyer knew going in that when he was asking for a "run out the guns" sequence in Wrath of Khan, with the crewmen pulling up the grating in the torpedo bay, that it was an anachronistic and essentially absurd visual; but he wanted it anyway and he got it, and as a visually dramatic scene, it works.

That's what I'm saying though, and that's the whole thing about shows like Star Trek: the writers put stuff in because it makes dramatic sense in the moment and makes for a cool visual or a good character moment, and then the fans spend endless hours trying to find consistent in-universe justifications for things where the only actual justification was "because it'll be cool".

The Bible
May 8, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

Remember, neutrons are bound by the weak nuclear force which shits all over the electromagnetic one.

Neutrons are bound by the Strong Nuclear Force. The Weak Nuclear Force is responsible for radioactive decay.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Tarkus posted:

Well, they did as they specifically refer to "Peregrine Fighter" wings, which are mentioned but never shown during the show.

I personally find it a bit of a travesty that the only mention of federation ground forces is a single episode when they're all jumpy and depressed. The whole premise of the Dominion War screams for coverage of the poor drat redshirts on the ground finally succeeding and maybe liberating a bunch of omnisexual Batazeds.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This is from a few pages ago, but I thought early TNG music was pretty bad. It was done in that older 70s/80s (go figure) style where it feels like the music is constantly screaming at you THIS IS A SAD SCENE! DO YOU HEAR THE MINOR CHORDS? DO YOU FEEL SAD ENOUGH YET? and ACTION IS HAPPENING NOW ISN'T IT EXCITING? and pretty much always trying to dictate how you feel about any given scene.

Less overwhelming music is better, sorry.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

cult_hero posted:

Well, they did as they specifically refer to "Peregrine Fighter" wings, which are mentioned but never shown during the show.

Those fighters show up a couple times on DS9 I think. The Maquis stole a bunch of them, then later Sisko throws waves of them against the Dominion fleet to die horribly like he's Zap Brannigan or something.

It's weird that they even exist. 1-on-1, they're no better than a runabout, and against larger heavier targets they just get plucked out of the sky because everything in Trek has crazy accurate targeting computers and ECM stuff doesn't really exist.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What the federation would actually be like:

Robots everywhere. Robots cleaning everything, maintaining everything, operating everything, doing almost all of the work. Robots maintaining other robots.

90% of the human population living permanently in holodecks or laying around all day in a permanent Risa-like vacation, most of them illiterate and stoned on whatever drugs are legal or available.

Those with any drive or ambition or desire to do anything are running society, in the military, or being scientists or artists or chefs. Whatever perks society has are offered to those willing to actually do anything. Also to those couples who actually manage to give birth, since the availablility of holodeck sex means most men lose all interest in having a long term relationship with a real woman.

On a federation starship, the crew is relatively small, as most of the work is done by robots. No person stands in the brig and guards a prisoner, or does menial "recalibrate the such and such" engineering work.

You could never actually do a star trek show like this, because it would be impractical and uninteresting to watch a show with robots everywhere doing everything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cult_hero posted:

I personally find it a bit of a travesty that the only mention of federation ground forces is a single episode when they're all jumpy and depressed. The whole premise of the Dominion War screams for coverage of the poor drat redshirts on the ground finally succeeding and maybe liberating a bunch of omnisexual Batazeds.

Ground forces never make much sense when you can easily bombard poo poo from orbit.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Delsaber posted:

Those fighters show up a couple times on DS9 I think. The Maquis stole a bunch of them, then later Sisko throws waves of them against the Dominion fleet to die horribly like he's Zap Brannigan or something.

It's weird that they even exist. 1-on-1, they're no better than a runabout, and against larger heavier targets they just get plucked out of the sky because everything in Trek has crazy accurate targeting computers and ECM stuff doesn't really exist.

NERDYTHEROY
Maybe they simply take less materials than runabouts which are big and intended for longish trips?

Real reason is of course "because shut up"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't forget on TNG they're like 'the ship cleans itself'

presumably the space-roombas are really shy and only come out when there's nobody around

Also I always assumed 95% of Earth was basically stoners waiting for their turn on the holodeck

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Delsaber posted:

everything in Trek has crazy accurate targeting computers
What?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Sunshine posted:

Robots everywhere. Robots cleaning everything, maintaining everything, operating everything, doing almost all of the work. Robots maintaining other robots.

90% of the human population living permanently in holodecks or laying around all day in a permanent Risa-like vacation, most of them illiterate and stoned on whatever drugs are legal or available.

Those with any drive or ambition or desire to do anything are running society, in the military, or being scientists or artists or chefs. Whatever perks society has are offered to those willing to actually do anything. Also to those couples who actually manage to give birth, since the availablility of holodeck sex means most men lose all interest in having a long term relationship with a real woman.

On a federation starship, the crew is relatively small, as most of the work is done by robots. No person stands in the brig and guards a prisoner, or does menial "recalibrate the such and such" engineering work.

You could never actually do a star trek show like this, because it would be impractical and uninteresting to watch a show with robots everywhere doing everything.
You've invented The Culture.

And you're right, it would be uninteresting so you have to have it take place on the fringes or from the perspective of outsiders who are enemies of the society.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
please god not another several pages of chattering about eeeeeveryone's favorite nerdcandy books

please

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but I thought early TNG music was pretty bad. It was done in that older 70s/80s (go figure) style where it feels like the music is constantly screaming at you THIS IS A SAD SCENE! DO YOU HEAR THE MINOR CHORDS? DO YOU FEEL SAD ENOUGH YET? and ACTION IS HAPPENING NOW ISN'T IT EXCITING? and pretty much always trying to dictate how you feel about any given scene.

That has not changed in 30 years, and it's across almost all television and movies. It's like "These actors suck at conveying how sad this scene is, so here's some music to give you a cue how you should feel".

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Well, yeah. Barely anything ever misses and everyone's constantly babbling about target locks. I don't remember anyone firing anything blind unless the plot called for it.

Stuff blows up good, that's all that matters.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

cult_hero posted:

It was great to see Tuco Salamanca as a redshirt though

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Sunshine posted:

The main characters on every Star Trek show are all actually just dorks in the holodeck basically just playing Roy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as
It explains all the continuity problems perfectly.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Bible posted:

Neutrons are bound by the Strong Nuclear Force. The Weak Nuclear Force is responsible for radioactive decay.

huh for some reason i thought the strong nuclear force was just for quarks and the weak was for protons-neutrons

thanks, the bible

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

gently caress off with your goddamn sonic wallpaper, Rick Berman

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

please god not another several pages of chattering about eeeeeveryone's favorite nerdcandy books

please

Oh no

Nerdcandy

In the star trek thread

Noooooo

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Delsaber posted:

everything in Trek has crazy accurate targeting computers

They can't hit poo poo with photon torpedoes because Bones never did a write-up on his fart seeking torpedo technology from Star Trek 6

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The best thing about The Culture is that they have a whole organization specifically devoted to violating the Prime Directive.

When in TOS did they introduce that anyway, it's the most simplistic simple-minded sort of rule and makes no sense for a big bureaucracy like the Federation.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lord of Pie posted:

They can't hit poo poo with photon torpedoes because Bones never did a write-up on his fart seeking torpedo technology from Star Trek 6

About half a dozen times a season on TNG or DS9 they would discovery some sort of revolutionary paradigm-changing technology like a cure to ageing, or sniper rifle with a built in transporter for bullets and scope that sees through walls, or a way to travel through time; and then they'd promptly forget about it next week.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The Bible posted:

This is actually a really great name/post combo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

Oh no

Nerdcandy

In the star trek thread

Noooooo
If the Federation built a No-Ship they could avoid Q's prescience.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

worst mistake in all of star trek was not going ahead with the spinoff about the guy with the sassy computer and the woman who could turn into a cat

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The Prime Directive is pretty simple, I thought. Don't give warp technology to primitive societies or indeed elevate their tech in any meaningful way.

It's important because you already have loving savages like the Klingons running around in warp ships we don't need MORE of them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The Prime Directive is pretty simple, I thought. Don't give warp technology to primitive societies or indeed elevate their tech in any meaningful way.

It's more than just "don't give them tech". It's basically "if they haven't invented warp drive, then don't interact with them in any way or even let them know you exist".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chomp8645 posted:

It's more than just "don't give them tech". It's basically "if they haven't invented warp drive, then don't interact with them in any way or even let them know you exist".

Yeah, there are multiple TNG episode where they're like "this planet is gonna explode next week from a natural disaster and we could save a billion lives by fixing it with our space lasers, but that would violate the prime directive oh no what should we do".

• Locked thread