Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
There was a Voyager episode where the Leonardo Davinci hologram gets the Doctors mobile emitter and he and Janeway have an adventure. Its a dumb episode with a doofy premise, but the episode begins with a group of small ships showing up, knocking Voyagers shields out, beaming a bunch of their cool stuff away, then running like hell. Voyager is out in the dangerous neighborhood and gets mugged, then they spend the episode having get their poo poo back. I actually liked that this was something that could not have been done on other Star Treks, where Picard could just call space AAA and retreat to his ready room to listen to public domain crap for a couple days till the tow arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
more importantly it demonstrated that john rhys-davies makes for a bangin da vinci

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Oblivion is the best episode of Voyager because everyone dies and nothing matters in the end.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
What's the episode of Voyager I should watch to see Tuvok doing cool poo poo

And not the part where he strangles Neelix, I saw that

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Tujague posted:

What's the episode of Voyager I should watch to see Tuvok doing cool poo poo

And not the part where he strangles Neelix, I saw that

There was that episode where he finally gave into his feelings and made love to Neelix. I think it was a season 5 episode?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
the one where they go back to 1995 with sarah silverman is prolly the most 90s thing ive ever seen and also, vitally, features tuvok in a du-rag

tuvok was prolly the best character on that show b/c they felt like hammering home the "vulcans obviously have emotions and are big weiners in denial about it" thing w/ his character, which makes him interesting, and tim russ did a really good job with that. whereas with, idk, janeway, kate mulgrew was a fantastic actor in the role but the writing was atrocious and schizophrenic and her characterization changed radically from episode to episode

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Seiko digital, clock of the future!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New thread, same old song and dance.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When I look at these threads it seems like people have watched Star Trek both before and after TNG which can't be right.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

voyager commits the double mega sin of 1) squandering all the potential of its premise

I think that's why I hate it so much. It's not just that it was a bad show, it was a bad show with a neat idea behind it that could have been good, thus the backlash is stronger.

I shalt dub this: The Pixels Effect.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

blowfish posted:

the plebs are simple minded and cannot deal with people who don't neatly fit into "good" or "evil" categories, or for that matter any sort of further independent thought

unironically

what happened was RDM saw that people were defending Dukat's behavior during the occupation on Usenet using the same arguments you would use about hitler and how he totally needed to kill all the bajorans

Similarly, Nana Visitor had to tell the writers on multiple occasions that no, Kira would not ever fall for Dukat

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I dunno, I never liked the whole "Vulcans are boiling kettles of emotion who have decided, as a culture, to unsuccessfully repress it and transparently bullshit themselves and everyone else" poo poo was weak. It was certainly very badly executed with Tits Girl in Enterprise. The whole notion made them less alien. I mean, humans are savage animals with a layer of civilization and logic on top, too, but you'll find us reflecting on it instead of running around pretending we can't see the poo like a whole race of naughty puppies and/or internet libertarians. Like, was it an open secret? Did they have a class at Starfleet Academy where they go "Vulcans are venal, ruthless, rage-prone runaway trains, but they're working on it, so just play along, OK?"

Spock's cool, simple, wise remoteness was awesome, especially when it was presented as Just How It Works and was a great counterpoint for when Kirk flew off the handle. Tits Girl, Nu-Spock and (to whatever extent) Tuvok being all "WE'RE LOGICAL WE DON'T FEEL poo poo NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE *record scratch* GRAAAAH FIGHT AND/OR gently caress ME" got reeeeeal dumb when used as a plot point multiple times. Weakend the whole species.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It's been established since TOS that Vulcans feel but repress.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Spock flipped out like twice, tops, and one of them was normal biological function, and he spent the rest of the time legitimately being chill and zen. This is a very sharp contrast to NuSpock and Tits Girl.

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib
Spock was half-human though, the emotions he was suppressing weren't as severe.

Right now I am suppressing the emotion of shame for this post.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tujague posted:

I dunno, I never liked the whole "Vulcans are boiling kettles of emotion who have decided, as a culture, to unsuccessfully repress it and transparently bullshit themselves and everyone else" poo poo was weak. It was certainly very badly executed with Tits Girl in Enterprise. The whole notion made them less alien. I mean, humans are savage animals with a layer of civilization and logic on top, too, but you'll find us reflecting on it instead of running around pretending we can't see the poo like a whole race of naughty puppies and/or internet libertarians. Like, was it an open secret? Did they have a class at Starfleet Academy where they go "Vulcans are venal, ruthless, rage-prone runaway trains, but they're working on it, so just play along, OK?"

Spock's cool, simple, wise remoteness was awesome, especially when it was presented as Just How It Works and was a great counterpoint for when Kirk flew off the handle. Tits Girl, Nu-Spock and (to whatever extent) Tuvok being all "WE'RE LOGICAL WE DON'T FEEL poo poo NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE *record scratch* GRAAAAH FIGHT AND/OR gently caress ME" got reeeeeal dumb when used as a plot point multiple times. Weakend the whole species.

One of the books in the 90s details the Vulcan history, and pre-logic Vulcans were loving evil vicious cunts to each other.
The old Vulcan's would tear to poo poo modern Klingons in raw violence, and on a planet always hotter than Jadzia Dax wearing nothing but her spots didn't help much.
It was an interesting tale and at least logical (pun intended) how they came to repress themselves to survive and thrive.

Enterprise had poo poo writers so Vulcans were either sarcastic villians or sex crazy tit beasts.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There was also a TNG episode about an ancient Vulcan weapon from back when they allowed their ultra intense emotions to run wild. There's also the episode with Alzheimer's Serek and his emotions were more than Picard could handle.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Regarding this bad, dumb, badly handled narrative development, you guys sure seem to have the facts on your side based on careful attention to detail and a firm grasp of the literature

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Tujague posted:

Regarding this bad, dumb, badly handled narrative development, you guys sure seem to have the facts on your side based on careful attention to detail and a firm grasp of the literature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7C0GLclJk

Take that Apple Mac!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

do Romulans go into crazy sex mode every 7 years also?

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tujague posted:

Your attempts to goad me into an emotional display will prove unsuccessful. :smug:

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

Universe Master posted:

Nah, every seven years is when they take a break from crazy sex mode. At least, that's how it works in my new Riker story where he is kidnapped by Romulans. I'll be publishing Part 1 soon - stay tuned!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Universe Master posted:

No, Romulans are superior.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

quote:

It is on the market for £70,000.

However, because there is no cooker in the kitchen and the windows are obstructed, you can't get a mortgage on this property - so any buyers need to have the money.

Why would anyone design a house like this!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Stupid goddamn Voyager fans, that's why. :aatrek:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stupid goddamn Voyager fans, that's why. :aatrek:

Should be the thread title.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Delsaber posted:

Why would anyone design a house like this!

You don't need a cooker when you have a replicator.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

You don't need a cooker when you have a replicator.

Or in human speak 'Dominoes'.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I wanna know if that house makes space engine humming noises

Like does he just play this on a loop all the time or what
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AwAcMSfPQ

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tujague posted:

Spock flipped out like twice, tops, and one of them was normal biological function, and he spent the rest of the time legitimately being chill and zen. This is a very sharp contrast to NuSpock and Tits Girl.

i believe the second time he freaked out was because of some alien spores or something. Spock was in control of his poo poo

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
romulans and vulcans are the same species and the vulcans are just in weird denial about things

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ambrose Burnside posted:

romulans and vulcans are the same species and the vulcans are just in weird denial about things

Romulans and Vulcans are what would have resulted here on earth if the Campaign for Real Ale went on any longer than it did.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i dont get why romulans have weird brows then

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I tried watching the first episode of TNG once and an alien showed up dressed like a ship's captain from shakespeare times and poo poo and i was like NOPE SORRY

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Maldoror posted:

whatever happened to this bullshit (the pics are like 12 years old or more now)

grover is really stepping up his game

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
These are all pretty goofy at best but the infinite regression mirror thing, if that's what this is, is kind of neat and I like it.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
So based on that infinite regression mirror is the idea that he modeled his house to be some forgotten dank deck 500 basement that janeway pulled those maladjusted weirdos from for that one episode?

Very apropos if so, then.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fonzarelli posted:

I tried watching the first episode of TNG once and an alien showed up dressed like a ship's captain from shakespeare times and poo poo and i was like NOPE SORRY

Q is basically a trickster god, he's Loki but in Star Trek

Also TNG sucks until season 3-4, or whenever after the writers' strike was resolved and the Borg show up. It's basically a 90s version of TOS until then

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Okay I think we should agree to either stop spamming the star trek pedopartment pics or just dump them ten times on every page until the thread dies

I'm down with either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Fonzarelli posted:

Since Q is one of the best TNG characters ever created you're missing out in a lot.

He appears as a like 17th century ship captain because he's essentially mocking the crew and wearing uniforms illustrating humanity's awful past. The explorers who killed loads of black people, a captain from WW2, and then as a judge from Earth's post nuclear war tyrannical society.

His argument is humans haven't changed their nature just their uniform and picard is all like "naw baby we changed for reals".

• Locked thread