Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Given that Bashir is maybe my favorite DS9 character, I'm really hoping that this special episode of his doesn't totally torpedo his character.

They decided halfway into the series that he was secretly a genetically-enhanced super-genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Given that Bashir is maybe my favorite DS9 character, I'm really hoping that this special episode of his doesn't totally torpedo his character.

It shits allover his character. Then they force him to roll in it till the series ends.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Angela Christine posted:

What do you do with people who have the dumb but still buy into the party line of 'working to improve ourselves' despite having no useful skills or interesting talents?

Some people really really really want to do starfleet stuff, but can't hack starfleet academy. Or engineering school. Or medical technician school. Or barber college. They get to do a tour of duty as a barrel stacker . . . in space!
Seems more likely that someone in that position would just write terrible poetry or other such self-actualization stuff, since they don't have to worry about the issues of getting paid.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The General posted:

It shits allover his character. Then they force him to roll in it till the series ends.
But it is nice to see little lothario Bashir, the man with the thinnest professional boundaries get put in his place by that genetically engineered sultry genius and have to switch off his pickup artist game for once or get blown out of the water.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I would honestly spend my time on a starship stacking crates and boxes, cause eventually we'll get to a baller planet for some shore leave. Though why O'brien doesnt just the transporter to do it, I dunno.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Given the number of missions that involve emergency transporter rescues, shouldn't the enterprise D have moved Picard's office to 40 feet down the hall and put in a bank of transporters in its place, so you'd not have to rely on your comm badge reaching O'Brien down in his pit to get the message and time it right? Wouldn't it help him to see a loving view screen of that which he needs to target for transport?

Oh wait, Livingston wanted something with a view. Captain's privilege I guess.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

shadow puppet of a posted:

Given the number of missions that involve emergency transporter rescues, shouldn't the enterprise D have moved Picard's office to 40 feet down the hall and put in a bank of transporters in its place, so you'd not have to rely on your comm badge reaching O'Brien down in his pit to get the message and time it right? Wouldn't it help him to see a loving view screen of that which he needs to target for transport?

You're making the classic mistake of trying to think about something in Star Trek rationally. Once you go down that rabbithole there's no bottom. Next thing you know you'll be asking why the bridge is a fragile little hood ornament instead of buried in the center of the ship or how a race of thick-skulled warrior bros like the Klingons managed to invent the warp drive.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Tujague posted:

We could write a good script about people who have poo poo jobs like that and throw on some DS9-style critique of the Federation and some "Why is O'Brien the only enlisted man in the Federation?" crap and it would be better than these silly, overwrought fanmades. I'm sure Robert Picardo would jump onboard.

The only time I can remember enlisted personnel was that DS9 episode where the Defiant was chasing Jem'Hadar ships in the atmosphere of some gas giant. There were enlisted engineers with actual speaking roles, and O'Brien tells Worf to ease up on them and stop yelling at them because they weren't officers and haven't been to the academy.

I wanna see a show about those guys, not yet another Adventures of Captain Swinging Dick and His Shithead Bridge Officers.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kenzie posted:

The only time I can remember enlisted personnel was that DS9 episode where the Defiant was chasing Jem'Hadar ships in the atmosphere of some gas giant. There were enlisted engineers with actual speaking roles, and O'Brien tells Worf to ease up on them and stop yelling at them because they weren't officers and haven't been to the academy.

I wanna see a show about those guys, not yet another Adventures of Captain Swinging Dick and His Shithead Bridge Officers.

Muniz!!!!

:negative:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like how they couldnt really decide what rank Obrien had on TNG so they kept just kinda throwing pins at his neck.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

They're probably closer to the core for <energy reasons> but more realistically, until the Saturn project, we always built our vehicles for humans and not logic and even then we still kind of do I mean why else do our rockets and space station have windows when you could put more instrumentation and other useful poo poo there.

loving right it's captain's privilege.

Besides, by your logic it wouldn't end at transporters. Holodecks, main engineering and the captain's quarters should just be one big open design room next to the bridge for troubleshooting purposes.

e: with tin cups and rope.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

All I know is that the Enterprise functions as a rescue ship 25% of the time and the bridge explicitly excludes the person that operates the greatest emergency rescue device ever invented.

"Number one, please ensure I never hear a shred of advice or input from that glorified elevator operator prior to me directly asking for it"

LCARS, for all its contextual wonderment seems to be unable to replicate the two finger uppie slidey gesture on any other surface.

Ah well. I guess I just enjoy being annoyed by Trek continuity.

Worf: "Captian, the Dyson sphere is made of carbon neutronium, our weapons would be totally ineffective!"

<exits sphere>

Well, lets not bother carving out a few pieces to wrap around Ten Forward or anything. Nope, lets never mention this magical, space-proven, constructable, corrosion resistant, plentiful, incredibly strong, sensor-proof and capable of crushing the hull of a starship material ever again.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Why even have all these rooms the Enterprise has? Fencing room, just use a holodeck. Courtroom, holodeck. Hot-rear end mirror room, holodeck.

And unrelated, I love how they dont seem to bother securing anything. One of the only good things ST:Enterprise did was actually take real ship and submarine design philosophy for their poo poo and SECURE HEAVY OR BREAKABLE THINGS

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gutcruncher posted:

And unrelated, I love how they dont seem to bother securing anything. One of the only good things ST:Enterprise did was actually take real ship and submarine design philosophy for their poo poo and SECURE HEAVY OR BREAKABLE THINGS

Whenever they show someone's quarters on TNG and they have like glass coffee tables and goofy ornaments everywhere I wonder what must happen to people's quarters during those bridge scenes where they shake the camera.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Entropic posted:

Whenever they show someone's quarters on TNG and they have like glass coffee tables and goofy ornaments everywhere I wonder what must happen to people's quarters during those bridge scenes where they shake the camera.

All of Worfs knives and swords and dangerous pointy trophies shred the poo poo our of his upholstery and he's gotta replace his furniture every goddamn week.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Not a comedy, a story of those trod on by the blithe principles of the prime directive and being squeezed to death by the handcuffed invisible hand of oppressed market economics in a post-scarcity world. A show about sweeping up the hair clippings of some rear end in a top hat that gets to spend four weeks on Risa because he was was a lil' stressed after sending a dozen of your friends to their death because he wanted to try and rescue his collar-pipped bestie.

You don't need to spend a million dollars to put a show about the captain of a vessel and their crew in space either.

You are off the production committee Farmer Crack-rear end, you'll never get to shoehorn your talentless kids into cherry SAG speaking roles.

Yeah, you probably need to spend two million to put a navy captain and crew at sea, because it's harder to wave away irregularities in visuals or whatever. :v:

The General posted:

I will admit I have terrible tastes, I also really liked the episode GROPOS.

GROPOS was corny but it at least didn't try to have the same two grunts being involved with nearly every aspect of the episode's plot.

Also I love how the big bar brawl starts.

Gutcruncher posted:

I like how they couldnt really decide what rank Obrien had on TNG so they kept just kinda throwing pins at his neck.

O'Brien was a lieutenant until like season 4, at which point he was "chief petty officer" which didn't have a rank pip because when TNG started there was no such thing as enlisted people in TNG.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gutcruncher posted:

Why even have all these rooms the Enterprise has? Fencing room, just use a holodeck. Courtroom, holodeck. Hot-rear end mirror room, holodeck.

poo poo dude why not just build the ship out of holograms

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

You're making the classic mistake of trying to think about something in Star Trek rationally. Once you go down that rabbithole there's no bottom. Next thing you know you'll be asking why the bridge is a fragile little hood ornament instead of buried in the center of the ship or how a race of thick-skulled warrior bros like the Klingons managed to invent the warp drive.

To be fair it's not just Star Trek, though. Pretty much any space opera will fall apart if you pick at it long enough.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

poo poo dude why not just build the ship out of holograms

Screw that, its all about inflatable ships nowadays.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

To be fair it's not just Star Trek, though. Pretty much any space opera will fall apart if you pick at it long enough.

You just gotta remember that you're probably putting more thought into it than the writers or producers did.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Entropic posted:

or how a race of thick-skulled warrior bros like the Klingons managed to invent the warp drive.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Entropic posted:

I think it was explained Klingons were supposed to have a caste system and we only ever saw warriors, lawyers, and the Klingon Chef.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think it was explained Klingons were supposed to have a caste system and we only ever saw warriors, lawyers, and the Klingon Chef.

That would make Worf's japanophile-like obsession with the klingon warrior caste even sadder.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

skasion posted:

:words: Season 2 :words:

The best thing about Season 2 is Picard and Wesley go on a road trip and Picard sets up the backstory for one of the best episodes of the franchise: It's a Wonderful Life.

Zeno-25 posted:

Also TNG sucks until season 3-4, or whenever after the writers' strike was resolved and the Borg show up

The Borg are hinted at in Season 1 and actually show up in Season 2

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

That would make Worf's japanophile-like obsession with the klingon warrior caste even sadder.

His old man would have been warrior-caste too, since Mogh was on the High Council.

I seriously think you guys are getting carried away and being too harsh on Worf here. We're not talking about some pasty fatass nerd obsessing over another country because he finds them ~exotic~, we're talking about a guy who wants to connect with the society his dead parents belonged to.

Now, if Wesley Crusher was all "fuckin', Klingons are the best space empire, they're the most honorable, I only watch Klingon operas with subs not dubs"...

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 25, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

You just gotta remember that you're probably putting more thought into it than the writers or producers did.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Nick Meyer knew going in that when he was asking for a "run out the guns" sequence in Wrath of Khan, with the crewmen pulling up the grating in the torpedo bay, that it was an anachronistic and essentially absurd visual; but he wanted it anyway and he got it, and as a visually dramatic scene, it works.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

When Geordi got promoted they gave him O'Brien's rank pips because they couldn't be bothered to hit up the replicator.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

GROPOS was corny but it at least didn't try to have the same two grunts being involved with nearly every aspect of the episode's plot.

Also I love how the big bar brawl starts.

*flying jump kick off a table*

The episode with the maintenance guys could've worked if one of them wasn't straight out of a New York cop show from the 80s. And if it wasn't in Season 5 and forced to involve not-Ivanova and the telepath Renaissance fair.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
There was a TNG ep about junior officers that was pretty good. It was only an hour long, so they only covered kissing Riker's rear end and attending Worf's kung-fu school, but it would be fun to see a whole season of them gradually deciding that the senior staff was retarded, helplessly sitting in the dark while space slugs try to eat the ship for the 100th time, getting booted off the holodeck by Data in a Sherlock Holmes outfit and applying for other jobs after learning that the Enterprise was a lovely billet that wasn't worth the prestige

You could twerk footage of the crewmembers rolling their eyes and making covert jerk-off hand gestures into old TNG episodes like the DS9 guys did for Trouble with Tribbles

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tujague posted:

getting booted off the holodeck by Data in a Sherlock Holmes outfit
The voyager crew would have been the best for this. No chance at all of promotion, a captain that wont gently caress a god to get you home and a god drat snooty hologram doctor kicking you out of the holodeck so it can have some downtime fiddling with holograms.

"Oh great, the sole functional holodeck is now an irish village, permanently, because our captain cant come out and admit that she finally wants to gently caress a hologram"

"Oh great, nobody gets to be promoted into the role of Morale Officer now that Shitnix is gone because addressing the promotion issue again would force Madam Captian to explain to Harry why he didn't get the job"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Voyager remade as a farce would be pretty good I think.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

His old man would have been warrior-caste too, since Mogh was on the High Council.

I seriously think you guys are getting carried away and being too harsh on Worf here. We're not talking about some pasty fatass nerd obsessing over another country because he finds them ~exotic~, we're talking about a guy who wants to connect with the society his dead parents belonged to.

Now, if Wesley Crusher was all "fuckin', Klingons are the best space empire, they're the most honorable, I only watch Klingon operas with subs not dubs"...

nah worf is definitely a mega weeaboo and it rules but its never stated directly

like. remember that worf is culturally and socially human and was raised in fuckin minsk, and had very little contact w/ klingons (if any really, i dont recall exactly) before TNG starts. so hes like "no i could not couple with these humans, they are too. fragile." and then it turns out worf was a fuckin virgin until he knocked up that one klingon lady who had alexander lmao. and worf is all HONOUR HONOUR HONOUR when every klingon we meet just pays honour lip service while being just about as cynical and pragmatic as anyone else. jadzia dax is a better and less weird/forced klingon than worf is in ds9, in the later seasons where theyre directly juxtaposed as a couple. and when worf really lets someone into his life on a personal level, like at the end of TNG when hes dating troi, he doesnt take them to klingon programs on the holodeck but the freakin shores of the black sea at night. hes very thoroughly human and just emulates klingonism from what is depicted in his anime magazines and it rules really hard

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ambrose Burnside posted:

nah worf is definitely a mega weeaboo and it rules but its never stated directly

like. remember that worf is culturally and socially human and was raised in fuckin minsk, and had very little contact w/ klingons (if any really, i dont recall exactly) before TNG starts. so hes like "no i could not couple with these humans, they are too. fragile." and then it turns out worf was a fuckin virgin until he knocked up that one klingon lady who had alexander lmao. and worf is all HONOUR HONOUR HONOUR when every klingon we meet just pays honour lip service while being just about as cynical and pragmatic as anyone else. jadzia dax is a better and less weird/forced klingon than worf is in ds9, in the later seasons where theyre directly juxtaposed as a couple. and when worf really lets someone into his life on a personal level, like at the end of TNG when hes dating troi, he doesnt take them to klingon programs on the holodeck but the freakin shores of the black sea at night. hes very thoroughly human and just emulates klingonism from what is depicted in his anime magazines and it rules really hard

hahaha Worf is Space Rachel Dolezal

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Well, lets not bother carving out a few pieces to wrap around Ten Forward or anything. Nope, lets never mention this magical, space-proven, constructable, corrosion resistant, plentiful, incredibly strong, sensor-proof and capable of crushing the hull of a starship material ever again.

Whoa hold on there guy

If their weapons can't penetrate it and it's harder than literally anything on the ship, how exactly would you suggest 'carving out a chunk'? Neutronium is the poo poo neutron stars are made of, you know, the single star-sized atomic nucleus? The stuff that you always read those cool quotes about like a teaspoon weighs as much as Mount Everest? Remember, neutrons are bound by the weak nuclear force which shits all over the electromagnetic one. Separating one part from the other is literally nuclear fission.

And even if they remotely had the insane level of technology required to take a chunk, that would mean damaging a relic whose age and value wreck any previous definition of those terms. The creators would have used entire star systems to build that thing, literally demolished stars and planets to make it. Do you think Picard, the passionate archeologist, sworn defender of civilisation, would engage in an act of such extreme desecration to improve his the chances of his ship, already the best in the fleet, in a firefight?

Finally would it improve his chances? The Defiant has it right, it uses ablative armour, which means it's easier to destroy than the ship is. The destruction of the armour uses so much energy than a minimum is transferred to the hull. A stronger material would just channels and focus the blast energy, making the ship far easier to destroy.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Plus it would probably make the ship a lot less maneuverable, if it's heavy.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
recall that the first time worf has sex hes literally like "so now we're married right" to the lady and shes like "man what even is your DEAL cant we just bang" and worf is devastated that he does not marry the first klingon woman he sleeps with lol

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Worf, a Klingon culture weeaboo, just assumes that's how it always works with other Klingons.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

chaosbreather posted:

how exactly would you suggest 'carving out a chunk'?
Same way Scotty did, by ramming poo poo into it.

chaosbreather posted:

The Defiant has it right, it uses ablative armour, which means it's easier to destroy than the ship is. The destruction of the armour uses so much energy than a minimum is transferred to the hull. A stronger material would just channels and focus the blast energy, making the ship far easier to destroy.
Ah yes ablative armor. Just the thing for a multi-target engaement. Armor that cannot take two shots.

Ah yes ablative armor. Just the thing for a deep space mission, armor that needs to be continually replenished through extra vehicular activity.

They should have detached the saucer section and stuck the warp-drivey part on the back of the sphere and tootled around the galaxy as a giant hamster ball, using the main gate as a gun barrel to unleash some hot death from that sun bouncing around the flying dyson sphere.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Other systems? That seems kind of barbaric in comparison. A civilisation that can harness a star shouldnt need raw materials. A Dyson sphere isn't cool because of what it is (it totally is tho) but what it implies about its creators and builders. If replicators are limited by energy consumption, surely a star sidesteps that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Trying to be realistic w/ star trek is dumb b/c trek is really good when its doing the classic sci-fi thing of handwaving away material considerations/limitations to explore really interesting concepts that have some intellectual or social/cultural hook to them, and extremely bad when its doing the hard sci-fi "wow this cargo configuration wouldnt hold up to the inertial dampers fluctuating very well" thing

• Locked thread