Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dukat had redeeming qualities.

He did until someone decided to make him cartoonishly evil at the end because they didn't want people sympathising with a space nazi. No room for grey areas in the 24th century!

I really liked that episode of DS9 where they trigger an old Cardassian defence program that was designed to put down a Bajoran uprising - the best bit was how sincere Dukat seemed on the recorded announcements when he's asking the Bajoran labourers to give up or further lives will be lost. The implication that Dukat spent hours recording veideos for every forseeable scenario and going all out emoting the part for each one is pretty spot on for his character, I reckon.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually writing that makes me glad I hate that loving show, I've only made it through one episode in it's entirety and I was waiting for it to end.

Yeah. Equinox was pretty good though.

Tyrannosword fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

b b but she's part of a race that only lives less long than humans so what is your problem :aatrek:

So the plaid-wearing mascot wasn't just molesting a child, he was molesting a child with a terminal illness? :gonk:

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib
"It doesn't matter, they only live for nine years."

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ambrose Burnside posted:

theres a bunch of episode where sisko or other federation dudes have to do some real dirt to get what they want, and the conflict that results is what makes things so compelling

It's okay though, because he can live with it.

He can live with it.

Tyrannosword fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 23, 2015

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib
Spock was half-human though, the emotions he was suppressing weren't as severe.

Right now I am suppressing the emotion of shame for this post.

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tujague posted:

Regarding this bad, dumb, badly handled narrative development, you guys sure seem to have the facts on your side based on careful attention to detail and a firm grasp of the literature

Your attempts to goad me into an emotional display will prove unsuccessful. :smug:

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

Universe Master posted:

do Romulans go into crazy sex mode every 7 years also?

Nah, every seven years is when they take a break from crazy sex mode. At least, that's how it works in my new Riker story where he is kidnapped by Romulans. I'll be publishing Part 1 soon - stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib
Going back a few pages to the whole "This is how they'd fight a war!" thing, was there ever any documented use of the transporters as weapons? Seems to me you could do a lot of damage with those - beaming explosives directly into the enemy's chest cavity, for example, or just locking onto an enemy, converting their matter into energy and beaming that energy wholesale into the middle of an enemy ship for maximum explosive fun (there must be a whole lot of energy buried in the atoms of a humanoid body). You could literally use enemy soldiers as ammunition to blow up their comrades!

Not really the Federation's style, admittedly, but wouldn't the Romulans and Cardassians at least attempt that sort of thing?

Sorry to interrupt cannibal-pedo talk, by the way :ohdear:

• Locked thread