Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Do the Ferengi even maintain a diplomatic corps? I don think they do, so to a Federation raised citizen or uniform it would be like meeting the CEO of a company you don't work for from an industry you have no contact with.

I mean, how excited would you be to meet Dave Petratis, CEO of Allegion, distributor of Schlage-brand locks and entry way devices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Harveygod posted:

I'm going to watch it again this week because The Magnificent Ferengi owns from start to finish.
DS9 owns from start to finish except for the start and well, the finish.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Paramount and CBS, when the lawsuits fell. Injunction, his arms tied up.

quote:

Back in August, an Indiegogo campaign raised $566,023 to produce Axanar, a Star Trek movie in development by an independent group of fans, who also happen to be film professionals. Now, unfortunately but predictably, Paramount and CBS have filed a lawsuit in California federal court claiming their intellectual property is being infringed upon. They are "demanding an injunction as well as damages for direct, contributory and vicarious copyright infringement." The guy running the crowdfunded film is a lawyer, and he said, "We've certainly been prepared for this and we certainly will defend this lawsuit. There are a lot of issues surrounding a fan film. These fan films have been around for 30 years, and others have raised a lot of money." He said CBS/Paramount weren't willing to provide guidelines on what types of fan productions would be tolerated (unlike Lucasfilm with Star Wars), because they worry about setting precedent.

Sounds like someone high up didn't get their muffin basket protection money or maybe Captain Worf is ratting people out like rival drug dealers are known to do.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DarkMalfunction posted:

Well they didn't seem to care about a whole bunch of other fan movies - though maybe this is the first one with a big enough budget for CBS/Paramount to actually receive a decent amount in damages?

Furthermore, what about the knock-on positive affect to Trek (and thus revenue for CBS/Paramount) as a whole that a successful fan-film, professionally done, could have?

Also isn't the Xerox/Kleenex/Photoshop issue at play here? Where if you don't bother to defend a trademark and it can be shown to be generic enough that "Star Trek" could just be like a generic term, like "watch this star trek jimmy, its got lusty spacemen in it". You could easily show that Paramount didn't bother to defend it against several other fan films.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nobody cares what that other thread thinks, they have no appreciation for the virility of the Cardassian male figure.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Naxuz posted:

Well the Terok Nor girls really knock me out
They leave Starfleet behind
And Lakarian girls make me sing and shout
That the harsh but necessary subjugation of Bajor is always on m-m-my mind

I'm back in Cardassia
You don't know how lucky you are, boys
Back in Cardassia

Well Empok girls are hip
I really dig those slaves they scare
And the Obsidian girls with the way they talk
They knock me out, tie me to a chair

The Science Min'stry's girls are fertile that's right
And the Occupation girls with the way they kiss
They'll burn a prisoner's corpse at night

I wish they all could be Cardassia
I wish they all could be Cardassia girls

The Detapa has the sunshine
And their girls get mil'tary command
Dig a tailored bikini on Risian island
Kanar with palm trees in the sand

The Dominion now rules this great big world
And I seen their kind of girls
So, yeah I couldn't wait to get back in into space
Back to the cutest girls in the world

I wish they all could be Cardassia girls

(Girls, girls, girls yeah I dig the)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DarkMalfunction posted:

Although once you watch Battlestar Galactica you realise it beats DS9 at it's own game.

Oh for sure man. Enjoy the gently caress out of those endless Jamie Bamber mainplot episodes. Watch Chief Tyrol's lovely marriage drama up front and constantly rather than have Chief Miles who would at least take a loving break from it every once and a while.

Battlestar Galactica would be lucky to make the same top 10 list as Babylon 5,. It cannot even sniff DS9's upper pylons.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Baronjutter posted:

Plus so much of the drama stemmed from really stupid or contrived plots.
This exactly as well, it was so bad in BSG that I didn't even want to bring it up to have to think about it. So much of the entire show revolved around 'broken telephone' and 'oh you just missed them' contrivances.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its pretty amazing that Bajor was nearly accepted into the federation while it was simultaneously suffering from a rash of Dalrock attacks. An entire colony of rake-clutching sustenance farmers held in the grip of terror at what was essentially a light show at a christian rock concert. Yes, these people are clearly ready to join the federation.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Crazy guy writing on walls is far more palatable than the true star trek origin of crazy guy sexually harassing actors.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I need to shave.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I really wish those guys had shown up again in some late season episode for a cameo. What a weird race.

That was a bummer. Was that an issue of paying writers credit if a species is re-used? Those were the best aliens, aside from Weyoun himself, to come through that worm hole.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Rom rolling for Bashir would kick off a Leeta-based fistfight before the D20 stopped spinning. The Day Shift does not take any stick from loose-panted geneboy barbless-dicked little salutatorians.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Honeytrapping Kira with sexy mirror Bareil was a good use of the resource, but time spent inside "Smiley's" DS9 was generally a waste of time given the brief window of opportunity DS9 had while it was making Star Trek cool and good.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kitchner posted:

I literally had no idea who those people were until I Googled them. Does that mean I'm not a true star trek fan?

If you googled "Chase Masterson" like I had to to remember she was Leeta, and you clicked on her Wikipedia link, then clicked on her article's "talk" pages, you'd see the sad/hilarious drama of Chase herself creating sockpuppets and using Wikispeak-Fu to keep her birthday off her article's page. Because surely without that piece of data, nobody would have ever clued in on the fact that this:

Is a woman pushing 53. Keep fighting the good fight, Chase aka Helicon Arts Cooperative aka smokefree aka Cubert aka Somaterec aka noirfilms. Nobody will ever know!

(Equally amusing is the drama of wikipedians enthusiastically calling her past employers for her tax forms and travelling to her highschool libarary to find her old yearbooks so they can have a citable source of her birthday)

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 6, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What is it about a man in jorts and white athletic ankle socks that you all find to be so irresistible?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That would still have ships spinning like tongo wheels. Its galactic plane or nothing. The orientation is established by the galaxy you are in.The spiral arms make it clear what should be the direction of travel as well as the correct x-axis to line up along.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kitchner posted:

Even then the Galaxy isn't perfectly flat, so if you've warped from one star system to another and you're travelling "up" or "down" from the Galaxy's point of view you're still going to end up on an angle rather than nose to nose

You dont tip the ship's nose up or down like some lovely jet ski. You tap on the docking thrusters a little when travelling cross-galaxy and that way your vessel stays dignified and sits upright for the entire journey.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kitchner posted:

This is a really funny image but there's loads of footage of ships tipping their nose when they go under and over things so sorry, but you're out of luck.

But those are the impulse thrusters.

They always went to warp at a perfectly flat angle. So while they can to twists and spins, its just not done with capital ships when laying down real distance at speed.

For reasons of decorum.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I really enjoyed this delayed-reaction Crublermatch hate.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Shab posted:

It's like the Federation invents technology and doesn't bother to think of actual applications for decades or centuries after the fact.

The entire federation is a unionized public transit jobs program gone amok and run out to its logical conclusion centuries later.

They own everything via their pension fund to the point where currency is no longer logical, every new guy still has to take lovely midnight shifts when starting out (even past the concept of night or day being relevant) and nothing, absolutely nothing gets automated for fear of it taking away good union jobs. See 'canteen waiter' still being a valid career path.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think they found that saucer sections where a huge boon to a combat ship as the enemy would invariable target the life-sign rich area which is strategically positioned directly between enemy weapons and sensitive federation ship engine and weapon systems.

Have you any idea how well an armoire stuffed with replicated children's toys and mementos absorbs disruptor fire?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Baronjutter posted:

Roddenberry is dead, everything is canon now. Canon is a matter of individual taste, nothing to do with who ever happens to be the arbitrary IP rights owner at the particular moment.

There is that case of heavily damaged floppy discs of Gene's that were data recovered and turned over to the Roddenberry estate just last week. There could be new old canon on its way, like an extra page of Ferengi sexual prowess described in vivid detail.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'll defend anyone's right to call Babylon 5 'poorly acted' but it was still a good show despite that, maybe because of that. When you couple its acting with the pervasive videotoaster+neon signage look its just so unto itself. Like its not a badly acted show but instead a badly acted sector of the galaxy.

You should watch all of it. Maybe skip B5:Crusade though.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I thought the guy who played Jubal Early on Firefly was great.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The good news is that with Star Wars setting record gross receipts and CBS bringing back Star Trek to rob money from Yahoo, it stands to reason that one of Netflix, Hulu or Amazon is going to greenlight Babylon 6 for full swing development any day now.

And I cannot wait for more space in the year 2263 via the year 1995 in the year 2017.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

BottledBodhisvata posted:

They kind of make the show, honestly. Babylon 5 has a lot of weird poo poo but somehow the cast and characters manage to make it endearing.

Especially sexy early Delenn.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

From when SciFi went grunge.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Space Transylvanians you mean.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tujague posted:

Who is this guy? I can't quite place him

His name is Inigo Montoya, you killed his alcoholic Russian Jewish lesbian would-be girlfriend. Prepare to die, and have your soul captured by a a soul hunter.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

B5 will still sometimes throw an incredible amount of compressed mid-90s at you.

Hitmen from the future used to have blow-dryed hair. And that glove. Straight out of the OJ trial that was taking place as this ep first aired. Killin' gloves were just that in-style at the time.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 10, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

happyhippy posted:

90s scifi best scifi

It really is. If i can get my hands on a winning powerball ticket I pledge to make an awesome vanity project 90's SciFi. My budget for the 486es required to run the effects software will be astronomical.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Y/N would you date Jha'Dur aka Gaila Lobos aka "Deathwalker", holder of the rank of Warmaster, war criminal, creator of anti-agapics, wielder of the Stafford plague, responsible for the destruction of the planets Tirolus, Comac and Halax, last of the Dilgar race?

Pros: Forever young.
Spending holidays together with friends in the Wind Swords.
Good teeth.

Cons: Systems full of blood oath vendetta holders make vacation planning a chore.
Affects a bad British accent on occasion.
Asks for the heads of things as a form of dispute resolution.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Big Mean Jerk posted:

what exactly am I looking at here

My spacewife.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Who do we petition for a 90's sci-fi focused subforum?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

He actually secretes spirit gum from his pores at this point so his actual chair time is quite low. They just stick stuff to him like a fridge door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kramjacks posted:

Did Worf ever win a fist-fight?

Yes, but only against K'Ehleyr and that Klingon woman Q made appear on the bridge.

• Locked thread