Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Wowbagger2004 posted:

People have joked about it in this thread but the star trek house guy was unsurprisingly a paedophile for reals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32736286/star-trek-flat-for-sale-after-owner-jailed
It's the tragic joke that keeps on giving.

Delsaber posted:

Why would anyone design a house like this!
How are you supposed to pretend you're in space when you can see sunlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Paramount allows fan films because they know they're all going to be so terrible that no one other than the kind of die-hard fans who make them is going to watch them anyway, and why antagonize the people who are going to buy all your poo poo forever?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are Tuvok and Bob Picardo really so hard up for cash that they need to do these crap? Or do these fans have some kind of blackmail on them?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The problem with fan films is that they're made by the kind of people who would make a fan film. I.e. people who, even if they have the requisite technical skills, have never had an original idea in their life.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wasn't Dr Bashir a literal retard before his parents got him illegal genetic manipulation to make him a super-genius?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The General posted:

Perhaps the absolute worst episode of DS9. Even worse than that Move Along Home episode.

Was that when they first brought in those other three weirdos who were super-geniuses but still complete social retards?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm shocked when I looked up on Memory Beta a while back that there wasn't a lot of fiction out there about those characters.

I bet there's lots on Memory Gamma.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Given that Bashir is maybe my favorite DS9 character, I'm really hoping that this special episode of his doesn't totally torpedo his character.

They decided halfway into the series that he was secretly a genetically-enhanced super-genius.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

shadow puppet of a posted:

Given the number of missions that involve emergency transporter rescues, shouldn't the enterprise D have moved Picard's office to 40 feet down the hall and put in a bank of transporters in its place, so you'd not have to rely on your comm badge reaching O'Brien down in his pit to get the message and time it right? Wouldn't it help him to see a loving view screen of that which he needs to target for transport?

Oh wait, Livingston wanted something with a view. Captain's privilege I guess.

You're making the classic mistake of trying to think about something in Star Trek rationally. Once you go down that rabbithole there's no bottom. Next thing you know you'll be asking why the bridge is a fragile little hood ornament instead of buried in the center of the ship or how a race of thick-skulled warrior bros like the Klingons managed to invent the warp drive.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gutcruncher posted:

And unrelated, I love how they dont seem to bother securing anything. One of the only good things ST:Enterprise did was actually take real ship and submarine design philosophy for their poo poo and SECURE HEAVY OR BREAKABLE THINGS

Whenever they show someone's quarters on TNG and they have like glass coffee tables and goofy ornaments everywhere I wonder what must happen to people's quarters during those bridge scenes where they shake the camera.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

To be fair it's not just Star Trek, though. Pretty much any space opera will fall apart if you pick at it long enough.

You just gotta remember that you're probably putting more thought into it than the writers or producers did.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think it was explained Klingons were supposed to have a caste system and we only ever saw warriors, lawyers, and the Klingon Chef.

That would make Worf's japanophile-like obsession with the klingon warrior caste even sadder.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Nick Meyer knew going in that when he was asking for a "run out the guns" sequence in Wrath of Khan, with the crewmen pulling up the grating in the torpedo bay, that it was an anachronistic and essentially absurd visual; but he wanted it anyway and he got it, and as a visually dramatic scene, it works.

That's what I'm saying though, and that's the whole thing about shows like Star Trek: the writers put stuff in because it makes dramatic sense in the moment and makes for a cool visual or a good character moment, and then the fans spend endless hours trying to find consistent in-universe justifications for things where the only actual justification was "because it'll be cool".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Sunshine posted:

What the federation would actually be like:

Robots everywhere. Robots cleaning everything, maintaining everything, operating everything, doing almost all of the work. Robots maintaining other robots.

90% of the human population living permanently in holodecks or laying around all day in a permanent Risa-like vacation, most of them illiterate and stoned on whatever drugs are legal or available.

Those with any drive or ambition or desire to do anything are running society, in the military, or being scientists or artists or chefs. Whatever perks society has are offered to those willing to actually do anything. Also to those couples who actually manage to give birth, since the availablility of holodeck sex means most men lose all interest in having a long term relationship with a real woman.

On a federation starship, the crew is relatively small, as most of the work is done by robots. No person stands in the brig and guards a prisoner, or does menial "recalibrate the such and such" engineering work.

You could never actually do a star trek show like this, because it would be impractical and uninteresting to watch a show with robots everywhere doing everything.

The main characters on every Star Trek show are all actually just dorks in the holodeck basically just playing Roy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as
It explains all the continuity problems perfectly.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The best thing about The Culture is that they have a whole organization specifically devoted to violating the Prime Directive.

When in TOS did they introduce that anyway, it's the most simplistic simple-minded sort of rule and makes no sense for a big bureaucracy like the Federation.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lord of Pie posted:

They can't hit poo poo with photon torpedoes because Bones never did a write-up on his fart seeking torpedo technology from Star Trek 6

About half a dozen times a season on TNG or DS9 they would discovery some sort of revolutionary paradigm-changing technology like a cure to ageing, or sniper rifle with a built in transporter for bullets and scope that sees through walls, or a way to travel through time; and then they'd promptly forget about it next week.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chomp8645 posted:

It's more than just "don't give them tech". It's basically "if they haven't invented warp drive, then don't interact with them in any way or even let them know you exist".

Yeah, there are multiple TNG episode where they're like "this planet is gonna explode next week from a natural disaster and we could save a billion lives by fixing it with our space lasers, but that would violate the prime directive oh no what should we do".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MikeJF posted:

There is a Culture thread in the book barn

No one reads that forum though

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fister Roboto posted:

It's The Inner Light: The Video Game.

I love Rick and Morty.

I love how in the BIips n Chitz commercial in the after-credits there's an ad for ROY 2: DAVE.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pneub posted:

Now that I think about it, Worf's the only person in the federation that knows how to do more than that dumb two-handed club move. Maybe being obsessed with 500-times folded Hanzo Steel is a good idea after all.

He trained in the lost art of Kirk Kwon Do

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If their magic shields can stop a huge chunk of iron going at a significant fraction of C, they must use a hell of a lot of energy. And if phasers and torpedoes can get through them, they must use an insane amount of energy too. Enough that one hit without shields up would reduce any ship to a faint smear spread across half the solar system.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mike the TV posted:

Ships in ds9 and the tos movies get holes blown in them all the time

Of course they do, ships getting holes blown in them looks rad as hell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Thread's getting too serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shOhXZvDaY

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlKyX502kHc

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Omi-Polari posted:

Speaking of screwed up Star Trek fans, remember the story about the German cannibal and the guy he met over the Internet who wanted to be eaten?

That whole case was like "what if Hannibal wasn't a gourmand and instead was a goon who doesn't know how to cook and has a freezer full of frozen pizzas."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't tell if the Cardassian uniforms are supposed to be rubber or not. I used to think they were metal when I was a kid, but in a bunch of episodes you can see them bend like rubber and it doesn't seem like they're trying to hide it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does Conservation of Momentum apply with Star Trek transporters? It seems like it must not because otherwise when you beamed someone up from a planet they'd smear across the wall. But then there's that episode where Ezri makes a magic rifle that transports moving bullets, so :shrug:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You just set up a vacuum chamber with something falling in it and transport it to the top every time it's about to hit the bottom. It will just keep accelerating until you've got it going a significant fraction of the speed of light and then instead of teleporting it to the top of the chamber you teleport it to outside, aimed at someone you don't like.

You want to put this setup on the lowest deck of your ship though, in case you lose power.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Come to think of it, you ought to be able to weaponize artificial gravity pretty easily too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Germstore posted:

That would overload the gravity plates!

You could do it in a real gravity well. Even more dangerous if you lose power though, because then you suddenly cause the equivalent of gigaton meteor strike in your basement.

You'd think terrorists would have thought of this.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fister Roboto posted:

Why would it accelerate though?

Because that's what falling is. Drop something in a vacuum chamber in earth-standard gravity and it will accelerate at 9.8 m/s^2 downward.

Normally something in a gravity well only gets to accelerate so much beause a) with atmospheric resistance it will eventually reach terminal velocity and b) it will eventually hit the ground. Droping something in a vacuum eliminates a) and if transporters conserve momentum you can eliminate b)

Haven't you ever played Portal and put one portal on the ceiling and the other just below it on the floor and jumped in?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 28, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Germstore posted:

If the writers thought about it

Big ol' if there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Also copyright is a bitch.

The Eugenics Wars wiped out all culture from after whatever was public domain in 1987. And then no new culture was produced since then because, I dunno, Section 31 drugs the water to make everyone boring or something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I wonder if there was a holodeck programme that was their equivalent to an MMO? Like playing with people from different ships/nearby bases within a few lightyears of eachother. I guess it would depend on how subspace communication works exactly.

This is what 95% of the people on Earth are doing at any given time in the Star Trek universe.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Blazing Ownager posted:

The brief HBO lintro does make me want an R rated, highly serialized sci-fi show. Come on HBO, make something.

You mean Battlestar Galactica?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There was already a Dune miniseries and it was not terrible.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

skasion posted:

It was pretty bland but did a decent job of getting the whole plot on screen on a reasonable budget. Children of Dune took this to theretofore-unknown frontiers of blandness which is pretty remarkable for an adaptation of a novel which culminates with its protagonist covering himself in an irremovable armor of sentient worms. It's really unambitious and disappointing after watching something as batshit as Lynch's Dune, which casts whole swathes of plot by the wayside together with any desire to actually make sense but really successfully evokes the bizarre religious and political atmosphere which the whole story is about. The most you can say for the miniseries is that it wasn't butchered by executive meddling. A better one could definitely be done but I have to assume it won't be. Dune's themes would be really uncomfortable for a TV audience these days.

I find it interesting that adaptations of Dune end up either completely literal and dull or utterly batshit insane, with nothing in between.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

muscles like this? posted:

Listening to a podcast today and they had a guy who is working on a Trek mobile game where all the series kind of meet up in one place. He said that a weird thing about character likenesses is how at least one actor wanted a "later season" haircut because they didn't like what they had early in the series but didn't have enough pull to demand a change early on.

Was it Kate Mulgrew or Avery Brooks?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I saw the pilot of Enterprise and decided immediately to forget the show existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think every series had crazy last minute casting changes. TOS was going to have a woman first officer until the network nixed it, and there's test footage of the Voyager pilot with Janeway played by a french canadian woman who didn't want to be there.

• Locked thread