Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

shadow puppet of a posted:

And try to obey the temporal prime directive this time. By which I mean lets not talk about TOS.

Why not? That's loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Kitchner posted:

Since Q is one of the best TNG characters ever created you're missing out in a lot.

Eh, he has his moments. He's usually just a plot device to give them an excuse to do crazy poo poo.

Someone photoshop those into little Neelixes.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

The General posted:

But De Lancie does such a good job. He alone almost makes TNG worth while.

Yeah, De Lancie made the character worth using again (as a plot device).

Pneub fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 24, 2015

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

MikeJF posted:

Ground forces never make much sense when you can easily bombard poo poo from orbit.

You can't capture a territory and it's assets if you bomb it to ashes. If you want to take over a city, then it doesn't make sense to bomb it into gravel.

You can't take something over if you vaporized it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Universe Master posted:

star trek ships even have a stun setting on their main phasers, and can target with centimeter precision from orbit

no need to ever have more than a handfull of guys in key locations on a planet as long as you've got a few ships in orbit.

Even then, that's one of those thing that they mentioned once or twice in 40 years and never even tried to use once.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Kitchner posted:

There also isn't any "ground forces" they are just dudes in the yellow uniforms. Since the only half way competent security person you ever meet in a yellow uniform is Worf and everyone else gets bitch slapped, vapourised, or tricked into letting their prisoner escape, I'm surprised the Cardassians didn't wipe the Federation out in ever land battle.

Now that I think about it, Worf's the only person in the federation that knows how to do more than that dumb two-handed club move. Maybe being obsessed with 500-times folded Hanzo Steel is a good idea after all.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of guys who probably have heads in the freezer:

http://youtu.be/9Z9VSOq0nqU

Man, Hank Hill was really dead on the inside before he discovered Propane.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

chaosbreather posted:

yeah, this. you only need to use replicated material if there's a likelihood that you could eclipse the forcefield from its projector. otherwise every single texture, taste and even smell, and even stuff like mass and hardness and moisture is all doable with precise enough control over EM fields at an arbitrary distance

It can simulate smells, but can it simulate stank?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Kitchner posted:

Problem is Wesley Crusher went off to evolve to a higher plane of existence. What a poo poo story.

He was back for the Riker wedding in Nemesis. Looked like he was having fun.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Kitchner posted:

Get Kevin Spacey in a Star Trek uniform and pronto that's what I'm saying

Literally re-shoot the entirety of House of Cards, except Kevin Spacey has Fegengi ears the whole time.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Andro Dunos posted:

The episode "Conundrum" has the same problem. The Satarran aliens can wipe the memories of everyone on the Enterprise, alter the computer records, and insert their own crew posing as humans, but they can't defeat the Lysians?

I MEAN REALLY

They couldn't spend another week to find some no-name Miranda with a dumb crew?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

eSports Chaebol posted:

im p sure the word "countermove" appears in at least one of the sex scenes of chapterhouse dune

That series loving tanked after the Jedi-Only-More-Bland became the main characters in the last couple Frank-written books. Everyone says his son's books suck, but that ship was already sinking so who gives a poo poo?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Cool t-shirt, if it didn't have the hashtag bullshit on it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

quote:

im permabanned poster spoonheadstomper58. i first started reading the star trek thread when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "spoonhead balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside spoonhead assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of the star trek thread humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the star trek thread to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 30, 2015

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

shadow puppet of a posted:

A good cadet prank would be transporting things into people's asses as they go about their day.

Is teleporting a dildo into a butt technically sodomy? There isn't really any 'penetration', one moment it isn't in there, and then it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Lol at casuals saying McCoy isn't as much a main character as Spock and Jim

The relationship between those 3 is the heart of the show and what makes it so great. None of the other series have been able to replicate it and that's why they aren't as good

If you don't get that you don't get TOS and would be better off watching a technobabble show like TNG

Additionally, Deforest Kelly's probably the best actor that got permanently dumped into Star Trek typecasting hell for the rest of his life (although I doubt his bank account was crying to hard about it).

Coincidentally, Star Trek V spontaneously turns into Quality Star Trek at the one-hour seven-minutes mark and never turns back(I have that stupid movie saved on my computer for some reason so I could double-check the time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-6rqbQBpc

The Bible posted:

TOS is pure garbage. The worst Voyager episode would have been TOS gold.

Wow you're so edgy.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 6, 2015

• Locked thread