Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

not limp along for 3 or 4 seasons until it gets good, either

Lol, TNG limped for 2 years before it got good, DS9 limped along for about 3, Voyager limped along for 7, and Enterprise was executed before it's pilot's opening theme even finished and then spent four years as a rotting corpse.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Boner Slam posted:

-> Getting home is ultimately almost impossible:
The show showed too quickly that there are plenty Deus-Ex Machinas for getting home. That only the second generation of Voyager might actually see Earth (without having ever been there) is a concept they should have not deviated from.

The early development stuff for Voyager seemed pretty focused on that. The 75 year journey was based on going nonstop at maximum warp, the realistic figure was 200-400 years and that was supposed to be the omnipresent danger. Its a shame they abandoned that feeling, but in regards to deus-ex machinas, finding ancient alien super technologies is standard in Trek so I'm not sure how you're disappointed in that.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The Bible posted:

I don't get what the big deal was; Kirk went to the very edge of the Milky Way as a standard mission. Why didn't they just use the tech he had 100 years ago to just warp back in an afternoon?

Or when the dominion war was heating up why didn't they use Spock's time travel implosion formula to go back a few months and mine the wormhole before the dominion flew a bunch of armadas through it.

My Q-Face posted:

drooling over DS9

Look dude, I love DS9 too, but it was mostly alien of the week bullshit until the dominion started showing up and poo poo doesn't really get great until after Tain fucks up and starts a war late into season three.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Yeah it was a really solid ep, it's a shame the rest of the series is completely unlike it

It was ok, but the best one by far was the mirror universe 2 parter.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its got Icheb and you dont need to bother listing any other old cast names once the 'cheb is on the marquee.

Pssshhhhh

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing about Quark is that during the occupation of Bajor, he sold food to the laborers for zero profit. Out of context that doesn't sound like a big deal, but he's basically going against everything he believes in to help people out.

He sold it at just above cost. He many be a filthy humanitarian, but he's still a Ferengi.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Not just chuckling, but throwing it back in his face with a "maybe you should talk to Worf again"

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Cardassian ladies have blue spoons and neck ridges. Genetics or makeup?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

It always bugged me that they called her MISTER Saavik. I know, Naval tradition, blah, blah, but its literally the only time Trek referred to a woman by Mr and it irks me.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Entropic posted:

I watched the pilot and it was godawful and years later people told me "no, it gets better, there's a bunch of cool episodes, like that borg one" and I watched the borg episode and it was godawful.

The only good Enterprise was the mirror universe two-parter. The replacement intro is loving fantastic and the cast really hams it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Worf should have carried his knife on duty, but with some token peace bond that he'd break in circumstances where the officers were like "gently caress it, we're out of options, just let Worf loose with his knife and see how many he can take down".

The Plinkett review of Nemesis made a great point about this. At the end when Picard beams over to the scimitar on a suicide mission they really should have just strapped a couple of phasers to Worf, handed him a batleth and said "Worf, kill everything you see and shut down the green thing. You're not gonna come back, but you'll save the ship and Earth"

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

It will be me because I liked enterprise.

Dumbass.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek Continues is genuinely fun for what it is especially when you consider what passes for serious drama on network television these days

After Of Gods and Men I was very prepared to hate the gently caress out of Star Trek Continues, but they actually did a good job at what they set out to do. Granted, it helps that its relatively easy to make something look like no-budget 60s schlock.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, goons in this thread love to poo poo all over Farrel, but could someone point out a specific example of her terrible acting? I don't think she was ever gonna win a golden globe, but she seemed fine after the first season or two. And lets be honest, the first season or two of virtually every Trek is rough and lovely, with people desperately trying to define their characters.

The only thing I can think of is her supremely uninspiring recitation of Sisko's inspirational "spent phaser power cell" speech from Behind the Lines. "Take a gooooooood look at this, people...." Urgh, it was terrible.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Figaro posted:

*Weird shrill hooting*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

Yes, mhm... woo hah!

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Gates McFadden left after the first season because producer Maurice Hurley was sexually harassing her.

Watch Shatner's new documentary on Netflix to see interviews with this shithead. Also a bunch of people poo poo talking Gene's rear end in a top hat lawyer and rejoicing at his death, complete with offensive caricature

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, Chaos on the Bridge. The whole thing is just bitching about how awful Hurley and Maizlish were and how they were just firing people left and right and rewriting scripts and going through like 30 writers in two years or something? Then they all hosed off and the show became watchable.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 2, 2015

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Not only is every fan made star trek thing utter trash

Except Star Trek Continues. I don't even really like TOS, but I have to admit they nailed it with this project.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Actually, Babylon 5 is Admiral Checkov's favorite holodeck program

Captain Archer just likes to cross dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

He went without alien makeup in the Atlas Shrugged films.

Also as Stan the caddy.

Lets not forget it was his terrible advice that got the whole gang sent to prison in the finale.

• Locked thread