Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah that's why fitting TOS into "DS9 < TNG < Enterprise < Voyager" is tricky, because you have to account for the fact that it was made in a time when your parents or possibly grandparents were children and TV audiences weren't skeptical or cynical and nobody cared that the props were cardboard and spraypaint and sci-fi could unabashedly be about ideas

Seems 100% obvious, right? But this is the goon trek thread so there's guaranteed to be some dumb piece of poo poo saying "LOL THESE RENAISSANCE ERA PAINTINGS ARE GARBAGE THEY DON'T EVEN LOOK LIKE PHOTOS OF ACTUAL BATTLES" and pow here he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Data's Day isn't even in the lovely half of TNG episodes

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

My Q-Face posted:

I used to read Star Trek novels in the early 90s

Iprazochrome posted:

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

My Q-Face posted:

Ugh, no they weren't.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The fat lady isn't going to sing until the Borg show up in reboot trek

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The Culture wins every space battle ever because it's basically just "What if everything was the best and most awesome thing ever and it was Burning Man?" :jerkbag:

Then if you were lucky the battle between The Culture and Star Wars would be written almost exactly like Takkaryx's post unless some even shittier form of prosecraft could be found, such as a 4chan >greentext story.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, I meant that The Culture would insta-smug-win with no real explanation against "any other sci-fi franchise" which was the "context" which you can tell by picking up on "social cues" oops ok I hear it never mind my bad

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
And if Dax just kept wearing her little miniskirt and beehive hairdo and brought it back to DS9 and started a fashion craze

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I googled "unicron" from the previous page and found a wiki that might just be more autistic than Memory Alpha

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Well guys maybe the new TV series will be closer to Rape Master Gene's vision of technobabble

fingers crossed

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ugggh that Into Darkness movie gets way worse the second or third time you see it. That cumberbatch guy's acting job is so brutal that he should have been charged with a crime. It's like the motherfucker thought he was still strapped into the facial recognition gear from the time he played a dragon in a hobbits movie. And the end was some major-league barrel-scraping bullshit. I think my new years' resolution is to not watch the third one, like, ever.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Baronjutter posted:

It seems the main things people didn't like about DS9 were all the actually good points:

Yeah, I think the real question here is whether or not your taste, or your taste in space shows, or even just your taste in Star Trek grows and develops and if you get tired of candy after a while. Star Trek reached Peak Optimism in TNG and coasted for seven seasons with only a handful of Starfleet people being unpleasant or interesting. Then there was a fork in the road. If you liked watching a bunch of sweetheart goodguys triumph over yet another space jellyfish using inspiration and teamwork, you were down with Voyager. If you had enough of that and wanted to see some people deal drugs, lie and yell at each other, you liked DS9.

Now it's all hosed up. The JJTrek movies aren't a critique of Uncle Gene's Vision, they're totally oblivious to it. If you tried to explain that poo poo to the characters, they'd be totally baffled and you wouldn't get to finish because something would blow up and everyone would start kung-fu fighting. Like, your big introduction to Starfleet was Pike going "Hey, you should join up, we're a peacekeeping armada" right before McCoy came running into the frame and said "HEY EVERYONE I'M MCCOY DAMMIT JIM I'M A DOCTOR NOT A BONES"

Aaaaaand we have the looming specter of the new TV series, which is going to be built on the philosophical ground of monetizing the brand and drawing ad buys to CBS Digital

Jesus christ, did those ANAXANAR dipshits really start selling merch? I would have bet a lot of money on the script being the dumbest part of the production.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 2, 2016

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Oh my loving god ha ha ha

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, the Prophets and Pa-Wraiths showed up like six or eight times in the whole show, and four or five of them were pretty bad. Like, DS9's pilot doesn't get enough credit, and they did a swell job introducing them - Sisko gets to showcase his intellect and argue these weird non-temporal aliens down, and they conduct some impromptu therapy on him, and they have a mutual breakthrough. Good stuff. (Dax is standing right next to him and her character development is a shamefully brief cop-out, natch).

If they had planned from the beginning to say "There are evil wormhole aliens who got exiled on Bajor. They are still dangerous, explaining why the Prophets give a poo poo and why they influenced the Bajoran religion." That could have been a road map for the rest of the series. But later on, they were pretty obviously just hucking poo poo at the wall to see if it stuck. Sisko, you can't get married. Sisko, Bajor can't join the Federation. Or else. Because we care. I mean, we don't care, but, talk us into caring this time. poo poo, we forgot to teach the model who played Jennifer Sisko how to act. Okay, let's never talk about this again. Oops, series is ending, umm, let's make Gul Dukat evil space Jesus and give him an evil magic book, I guess.

The Bajoran religion storylines were mostly pretty good, especially in the way they critiqued traditionalism and made Kira into a well-meaning dumbass every once in a while. That could have been worse. But the parts where the actual magical energy beings showed up were not easy to sit through.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Sisko can't get married because he is training to become a Buddha in White Space. He could show up later to herald a new conflict for the Federation in 20 odd years.

Hmmm yes you are right, it makes perfect sense if you yank some random made-up bullshit out of your rear end and think it through backwards

Don't know how I missed that

edit: actually

Tujague fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 2, 2016

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Space Lincoln did nothing wrong

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
On the other hand, let's not do that

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Mirror Universe Darmok and Mirror Universe Jalad at Mirror Universe Tenagra

Mirror Universe Boothby

Mirror Universe Tard Aliens who look for things to make us go

Ill poo poo

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Any good spaceship shows out right now? OTHER SPACE is great, but it's a workplace comedy send-up about a bunch of goofy bozos lost in an alternate dimension vaguely similar to Red Dwarf so it's kind of limited in scope.

Dark Matter is coming back for another season, which is awful because it is a piece of shiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttt

edit goddamn stop debating canonicity what the gently caress

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The first couple eps of Dark Matter were the best ones

not kidding

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Who is this guy? I can't quite place him

Tujague
May 8, 2007