Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
big freakin ups to the bajoran priest hats that looked uncannily like the sydney opera house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

doodlebugs posted:

the episope when Jean-Luc Picard wears no underwear and you can clearly see his dick swinging back and forth.

which uhhhh which one is that. a friend wants to know, for a project

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
sometimes i think aobut how the naked now prolly woulda owned bones as a later season episode, when everybody had real established characters and relationships they could gently caress with, instead of as literally the first non-pilot episode aired when we dont know anything about anyone

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
data not being able to use contractions while being able to do anything else is just lazy writing, but i prefer to think that soong- out of either the encouragement of personal development or sadism- deliberately programmed that inadequacy in to saddle him with an otherness, so he'd always strive to be human and always be indelibly marked as inhuman

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Clark Nova posted:

I don't know what use otherness is in a setting where everyone is perfectly accepting both of glittery fish people, and of Worf wanting to gently caress the poo poo out of all the glittery fish people.

what a handsome creature
-worf, leaning over weird to hide he boner

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Nondescript Van posted:

I watched the first 6 or so episodes of DS9 and found it boring as poo poo so I skipped it. Does it get better?

jesus yes

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
just did looking for par'mach in all the wrong places. the b-plot w/ obrien and kira realizing they wanna bang and grappling with that is actually real interesting, i dont thing star trek ever went near infidelity and weird unrequited feelings quite like that since or again

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
also the a-plot for that one rules cause once again its a savage take-down of worf. dude has to take him aside and be like "uhhhhh have you ever actually, you know, tried putting the moves on a klingon woman before". and then worf cucks himself helping quark get laid w/ the woman worf is interested in. worf talks at length about her power and authority are why he's attracted to her. hes a huge sub lol

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
theres only one bridge. ONE BRIDGE. ONE PLACE TO poo poo

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i think talking about tuvix would measurably improve this thread, which is horrifying to me

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
the motion picture is the bomb if you are really high

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
For The Uniform. sisko is committing hella willful war crimes

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Figaro posted:

Klingons killed their God/Creator. Says it all really

the klingon cultural history/ backstory is a lot of fun + works very well for what was effectively writers repeatedly avoiding doing too much extraneous worldbuilding mid-episode

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
that episode is funny cause worf engages in terrorism against the federation but it fails to be a millstone around his neck like Maquis collaboration would have been b/c its the kind of terrorism that doesn't put lie to federation ideology

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
sometimes i think that a lot of the criticisms and critiques i read into, say, ds9 are jsut me mapping my own idiot brain onto the show, but then i remember, no, the critiques are mos def coming from inside the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5jAixHhSA

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the maquis are the far-right radical assholes of the federation.

i've never ever read the maquis as right-wing, that's an uh interesting interpretation. how do you mean

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
they are a terrorist militia who feel they were abandoned or betrayed by the Federation and are, from their perspective, defending their homeland. none of that makes them remotely right wing. i mean, the IRA or the PLO are/were also terrorists concerned about the occupiers getting off muh land but nobody would ever pretend they are right wing in the american militia sense

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 19, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
DS9 is all about deconstructing and critiquing the Perfect Liberal (in the classical sense) Paradise that TNG establishes. the maquis as the embodied face of the marginalized and normally-invisible casualties of federation policy fits perfectly with that. the maquis as, idk, rootin tootin entitled libertarian militiamen???? makes no sense, is not consistent with their characterization, and does not fit at all with the character and goals of the series

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
ur fuckin dead at gooncon mate

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Tighclops posted:

You guys think Garrett Wang hot boxed the Delta Flyer?

I bet he did

i would

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
TOS is campy fun but that's about all it has going for it and definitely isnt actually legitimately good TV. better than voyager but that is ruthless damning w/ faint praise

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

drilldo squirt posted:

Evil genius sisko is cool.

any role that let avery brooks free his inner JAMBALAYA!!! crazy person gets a thumbs up from me

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
brooks seems like a hella cool guy but also how is he a real person. i mean

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

schmitty9800 posted:

How come they never show anyone on the shitter in Star Trek?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKQzZfpaz8

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

muscles like this? posted:

Frakes said "make it more like a dude" and the producers said "no, that's gay."

not just more like a dude, he specifically wanted his love interest to be played by a male actor (so he'd be Gay Kissin It Up On Daytime TV) but that was just not on

frakes rules

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Tuvok is in Fallout 4?

nice av

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
jadzia was "fine, whatever" but yeah the character always felt like it was 3/4ths where it should have been at characterization- n writing-wise. the worf relationship stuff definitely did a lot for her character and the two played off each other very well, nothing like worf and troi on tng which was just boring and flat. ezri's surprisingly solid and interesting despite only having one season, i really would have liked to see where she would have gone if farrell ahd jumped ship a season or two earlier

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
tos is solidly middle of the pack. better that voy/ent, inferior to tng and ds9. this is now canon

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
my reflexive feel about the new movie trailer is "holy poo poo thats gonna be so bad" but justin lin is not the type to have the movie take itself too seriously or be totally dependent on nonsensical callbacks to the original series, which gives me some hope that itll be reasonably fun and dumb action sci-fi with a minimum of the stuff that made into darkness hot garbage

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
watching In The Pale Moonlight again and: vreenak's character is compelling and is like unbelievably well-acted, and youd never fuckin remember that in a million years cause ITS A FAAAAAKE

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Ralp posted:

I had exactly this thought just a couple weeks ago when I was image searching for headshots to steal for a dumb unfinished Goon Project. This is a game about deception, intrigue and hidden roles, so completely unsurprisingly the characters who exceeded my expectations with the ideal expressions are Dukat, Garak, and Vreenak, and I think the latter is actually the best of the best. It's his vaguest, subtlest, Mona Lisa whisper of a suggestion of a smile. so perfect:

a lot of star trek actors have complained about how your acting method and esp facial expressions have to be delivered completely differently under heavy alien make-up, so im kind of extra impressed at the subtlety n effectiveness of that actor's delivery

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
lol i always forget how bashir's crew of dysfunctional genetically modified dudes, institutionalized for their own good, consist of: catatonic lady, emotionally-stunted babyman, dude with 6 adhd diagnoses in parallel, and: W O M A N O F L O O S E M O R A L S

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Mushmouth posted:

Seriously, like why not just have her work strictly amongst women if her erotomania gets all crazy with only men? Even then she didn't seem all THAT bad like she was all 'JULIAN LOVES ME' but then largely ignores him/doesn't lash out when he de-autisms the one chick and starts trying to stick it to her.

haha yeah the storyline wherein doctor bashir, man of ethics, beds a patient who explicitly asserts several times that she feels indebted to him
everything about the genetic mutant episodes is kind of really hosed up, its impressive

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

FrensaGeran posted:

Guess the episode of DS9: the station celebrates Bajoran Burning Man and everyone rolls their loving faces off. Also, O'Brien suffers.

that ep rules (fascination i think, w/o looking it up)

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
sisko and dax should have boned and hten continually felt weird as poo poo about it for the next 4 seasons or w/e

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
im at this point in my watchthrough and i love it so much i natch gotta repost it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF2f3XLfCo

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

muscles like this? posted:

Lol, no wonder CBS is suing those fan film guys. They're selling poo poo with pictures of their fake Star Trek ships on it. Not the brightest idea.

its really easy to find all sorts of unofficial merch being sold in low volumes by fans, i wonder how close to the sun one can fly before catching the eye of The Lawyers

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
mirror universe characters are all transparent n boring but friggin mirror universe vic fontaine cameo is funny as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
remember how the federation sent a probable tens of thousands of civilians to their completely unnecessary deaths at wolf 359 cause nobody ever bothered to separate the saucer section before combat after, like, the first episode

• Locked thread