Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This thread is better than the other thread. gently caress that other thread. Let's have autistic internet nerd rivalries with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You probably didn't need to post each picture like seven times.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Literally gone insane Gull Dukat is almost as good as Klingon Pirate Gull Dukat.

Also you plebs are spelling Gull wrong.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Why would anyone think kira was hot she looks like a 14 year old boy

You could not possibly be more wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPsk8hjnhmw

You probably meant Ezri.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

chaosbreather posted:

the really funny thing about that nonce's shipartment is after all that effort the okudagram buttons are all misaligned and he's using the wrong typefaces

its crazy because there are plenty of websites devoted to deconstructing the LCARS design language, and he didn't consult any of them

so after all that time and money and molesting it doesn't even look close to authentic

His internet time was spent ....elsewhere.

drilldo squirt posted:

That guy committed treason and now works at fox news.

One day working at fox news will be considered treason.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I got about 15 minutes into that. The acting is terrible, the production values are worse. I finally gave up after the caradassian stopped mid fight so he could exposition all about emo chick and how her dad is noonien soong and exactly how she feels about it. Is there some kind of time anomaly? Admiral Chekov has to be like 200 years old, and the Klingon ships look even older, while nu-Voyager is all fancy, and the USS Mary Sue has super advanced Quadium Phasers (Do not steal). Tim Russ why? I understand wanting to relive the glory days, but wouldn't you have been more comfortable in the convention circuit?

FIND HIM AND KILL HIM

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Honestly it's kinda hard to even look at that photo without my eyes rolling out of my head. 17 characters? Really? Is this low budget Enterprise of Thrones? Unless half of them are dead by the end of this pilot/movie someone has no idea how visual media works.

Plus including poo poo like a nausicaan captain and a breen ...first officer? I guess. I don't know. I have no clue what role he serves because I don't speak dubstep. It was awkward when everyone had to repeat everything Thotgor said and make it sound natural at the end of DS9, but he had a minor role in maybe 5 episodes.

drilldo squirt posted:

That sounds terrible, why are you watching that?

So we can poo poo on it on the internet, duh.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This is from a few pages ago, but I thought early TNG music was pretty bad. It was done in that older 70s/80s (go figure) style where it feels like the music is constantly screaming at you THIS IS A SAD SCENE! DO YOU HEAR THE MINOR CHORDS? DO YOU FEEL SAD ENOUGH YET? and ACTION IS HAPPENING NOW ISN'T IT EXCITING? and pretty much always trying to dictate how you feel about any given scene.

Less overwhelming music is better, sorry.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The Bible posted:

Neutrons are bound by the Strong Nuclear Force. The Weak Nuclear Force is responsible for radioactive decay.

This is actually a really great name/post combo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
None of the crew except the bridge officers were ever really necessary for the ships operation. They were really just there so that Riker and Trio and Data and Geordie would have people to gently caress inbetween missions.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It looks like the mass of a Romulan ship is about the same as the D, it's just hollow. The interior volume compared to the surface area means that ship is like 90% bulkheads and plating, and it's really a hilarious terrible design.

Also Klingon cloaking devices are small enough to be carried by two Ferengi, and have their own power source and the ability to cloak themselves. Romulan executive shuttles, that are about the size of a runabout, feature cloaking devices, and I'm pretty sure they don't use a singularity for power.

Jesus Christ I am a big loving nerd.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kenzie posted:

Yeah sometimes they didn't seem to give a poo poo.

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Maquis,_Part_I_
"When Dukat and Benjamin Sisko enter the Promenade, having just returned to Deep Space 9 after visiting the Demilitarized Zone, it is obvious that the chest piece of Dukat's costume has detached itself from the underlying material. The rubber armor even catches a few times on the actor's lower arm as it swings while he walks."

I choose to assume this was some kind of plot to embarrass Dukat, by his arch nemesis, who is a tailor.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Amazon Studios is developing a TV show based on Galaxy Quest

So clearly people capable of market research in 2015 know that there is a market for nostaligic episodic SciFi ships n' spacesuits TV. Fuckin' Paramount and their teletype machines and mimeographs don't have a clue what people want and are going to put out something soft boiled by around 2042. Probably "Captain Worf's Grandson, Ensign Mogh Brought To you By Norinco Diet Cola Flavor Clean Water Brands with 50% Less Lead"

I hope I'm still alive to watch this, especially if it stars Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho as Mogh. In fact, they should probably put his name in the title.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

There's an HD version of this floating around too now.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Kira's role was originally going to go to Ro, but Michelle Forbes didn't want the part, so they made up Kira instead. Ro was great, but Kira's arc and growth from S1 to S7 is my favorite thing about DS9, so it's okay.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

Oh also O'Brien is deeply embarrassed or made a fool of in one all of the traps.

They should have replaced every B plot for the rest of the series with this. Just in the background, traps going off all the time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Moridin920 posted:

is there a link to this anywhere?

As for the TOS part, the completed TOS pilot was on Netflix last time I checked, with a mostly different crew and everything. They reused footage of Captain Pike for that other episode where he was in the morse code giant iron lung dealie.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought Sinatra Jr. turned it down because they asked him to literally play his dad.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MikeJF posted:

Except later on they do have to and they pick basically the worst person on the ship to be the child carer.

What are you talking about? Neelix had more experience with children than anyone else on the ship. :pedo:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Klingons pulled their knives on him because he was mist, which they found offensive, and attempted to stab him. Then the klingons, who regularly fight each other to the death over untied shoelaces as a matter of honor, tried to rules lawyer an extradition because he was "surrounding them in a menacing way."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't know why people endlessly lose their poo poo about Tuvix. Through your inaction two sentient beings are unable to exist again, why does that mean absolutely nothing, while this dude in front of you does? What if Tuvok and Neelix were there begging for their lives instead, would it be different? Wasn't there an episode were moody klingon got split into two parts, and eventually got put back together again, was that cold blooded murder too?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The point is beings that existed will no longer exist, no matter what decision is made, why is the one I front of you more important than the two that are unable to plead for their life, even though they most certainly would if they could

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Was it just a possibility? I thought it was a sure thing, and it basically boiled down to push A for Tuvix, push B for the other two.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i would posit that one scenario involves murder and the other involves declining to pursue a course of action that would create life. if youre drawing equivalence between the two, yeah, you kinda gotta grapple with the much larger problem of abortion/non-procreative sex/etc, or even "doing things with your life that are not calculated for pareto-optimal societal benefit" necessarily being Bad Moral Failings

Those lives already existed though.

What if Tuvix was never a thing. What if the transporter accident just made both characters poof out of existence. After a few days of research, you figure out what went wrong, and could beep boop technobabble them back. Do you have zero moral obligation to bring them back? I mean, it's not like they exist at the time you're making the decision, so who cares right?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The dinosaur episode airing the 60s, and seeing the reaction could be potentially hilarious.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're being really obsessive over this poo poo, even my dumb rear end let the stupid Tuvix thing go eventually, rather than constantly poo poo up the thread with it. You could make the same grognard argument against a lot of the lighter bits of DS9, but... instead, how about you don't?

Besides, it gave us Avery Brooks' best reaction face.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

That's what Wesley was doing with that child molester uhhh I mean ascended being.

Oh, I think you know. Deep down, you've always known.

:aatrek:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Making the Dominion fleet disappear was kinda bullshit. Everything everyone had done beforehand really didn't matter at all, because the gods finally decided to do a thing finally. They should have at least combined it with the next season story about the wormhole temporarily disappearing, so there was at least a tangible consequence to The Sisko pleading for help, instead of 'oh, spooky things will happen later.'

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wait Hydrox cookies are a real thing? I thought they were something Colbert made up for a gag on his show a few nights ago. What the gently caress kind of name for a food product is Hydrox? That's only slightly less appealing that lactic acid juice.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oomox

Get Latinum

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Was that house party full of young children?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wasn't Chekov's son crazy and hung himself from a tree in a park or something?

Was he dressed as a Bajoran monk?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thexerox123 posted:

I'm think that might be from Ethics, in season 5. Which would mean she has also been his doctor for like 4 years.

...maybe it's not that episode. Hopefully it is earlier on.

If it was post season 2, not only has she been a practicing doctor with at least one klingon patient, but she also spent a year as head of ...something. Whatever bullshit reason they had for not to be on the Enterprise for a year. Wasn't she head of starfleet medical or the medical academy or something?

But then I also remember her just expressing more general surprise and admiration in klingon anatomy. Not like 'wow I've never seen this before isn't it amazing' but 'even though I'm familiar with it, I still think it's impressive this resilient system exists'

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

happyhippy posted:

Children of Time
Visionary
Little Green Men
Indiscretion

Third writer, Sky Douglas Conway, looks to be just a fanboy.

Visionary was the one where O'Brien kept jumping around in time, and at the end he died and future alternate timeline O'Brien went back in his place. It was a great episode. O'Brien must, and did, suffer. Indiscretion was one of their better examples of fleshing out their villians, and it started us down the path to Klingon Pirate Dukat, whom we all know was the best Dukat.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tezzor posted:

remember when he almost started a shooting war with the goddamn klingons because they wanted to search the freighter of his booty call? the only reason there was no war is because a klingon backed down and was executed for disobeying orders. then later she turned out to be a maquis smuggler. nobody mentioned it at the time but: oops

I know right. God, what an idiot. Everyone knows the best thing to do is to submit to an illegal search and seizure by an aggressive military acting as police where they have no authority. Especially if it's in the name of defending against a vaguely defined nebulous threat like turrists shapeshifters.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tezzor posted:

if you want to argue that nearly starting a war with the klingons was the right call then whatever but at the very least he was too close and should have recused himself from command and put somebody in charge who wasn't loving the smuggler who went on to murder Allstate Obama

You seem like a cool guy, with well reasoned opinions, and I'm going to respond to your comments and look forward to the engaging discussion that follows.

FFFFAAAART.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But that begs the question of HOW the Founders could do all this stuff while remaining unseen. They have no visible technology--no space ships on their world, no buildings, no infrastructure.

If there's any realism to Trek's scale, then you'd need a planet, maybe several planets, devoted entirely to the breeding and manufacture of Jem'Hadar and Vorta. How did the Founders build all this stuff? Weren't they persecuted by the rest of the galaxy so bad they became hermits? Do they possess a biotechnology that we don't ever see, or do they somehow birth the Vorta out of their gooey slime pool ocean?

My girlfriend thinks Cardassians are kind of hot and I guess this explains it then.

All of Dominion technology is the founder's technology technically, they just choose to hang out on a hidden rock in the eternal orgy sea. Even that planet had some technology on it though.

Weyuon said the Dominion was 10,000 years old. Back in the beginning the changlings probably had to sully themselves with things like flying the ships or researching advanced gene slicing themselves, but they created the vorta and taught them to do it. After being maintained and incrementally upgraded by the vorta for so long, I doubt much of the original remains, but it's still all based on the founder's technology. Cloning and breeding and manufacturing facilities in the alpha quadrant are mentioned in the show, but I bet the gamma quadrant has some 40k type poo poo going on, with entire factory worlds and such. The Dominion is bigger than anything, except the borg collective next door.

I was always disappointed there weren't more vorta though. I guess Weyuon like personally ran everything in the alpha quadrant, except for one or two extras, and Iggy Pop of course. Like when DS9 was occupied, there should have been several other Weyuons doing stuff in the background, all of them played by Jeffery Combs.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Bashir replicated some kettie dubs during a slow afternoon in the infirmary for that babby jem'hedar

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Harveygod posted:

This same thought has crossed my mind, too.

Odo would angrily declare that he is not a founder, and then deal with it how he dealt with most issues, by handing in his resignation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

You're being really insufferable and argumentative and you keep posting about yourself. You should maybe consider not doing that anymore?

• Locked thread