Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Spoonheads is a really great slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Soong specifically said that Lore was too real and creeped people out. His solution to make Data less creepy was specifically to prevent him from using contractions. Also to make him not a psychopath, but mostly the contracting. That video is hilarious though, lol at 80s quality control.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gutcruncher posted:

So like was the shirt tugging scripted or was it the costumes fault and the crew did nothing to prevent it for 7 years?

That's the Picard maneuver.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In the first couple seasons, Gene insisted on spandex uniforms that were a size too small for the actors, because "they don't have wrinkles in the future" or some completely absurd poo poo. It never really got addressed until Stewart's doctor basically said they were destroying his back and he should quit if it wasn't fixed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I wear bicycle shorts and suspenders day in, day out. Never once had a back problem.

PIcard just had issues controlling his phaser rifle

If you wear bicycle sorts and suspenders day in and day out, you might not have back problems, but there are definitely problems.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I knew a couple in WoW that named their characters Nerys and Bareil.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Riker and everyone.

Except Trio. I mean Troi. All of his Trios were actually fine. Except the ones that included Troi.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 10, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nondescript Van posted:

Star Trek: Time Cops - follows those time cops from the 29th century as they make every excuse possible to keep Hitler alive.

That's almost as absurd as star tracks going back in time to assassinate JFK.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The progenitor was played by the same actress as the female changeling.

All female klingons have cleavage holes in their armor, so it's pretty easy to figure out that big soft ridge-less titties are a thing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

vulvamancer posted:

He can't say a contraction, so until he can pull that off I'm not sure this theory holds water.

Wait. What if the contraction thing is a troll too? I'm beginning to question my whole worldview on Data now.

Data used contractions all the time when it wasn't a plot point. He was definitely just loving with the dumb normies.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

happyhippy posted:

Apart from putting his scaly pecker in a Bajoran.
Twice.

Hahahahaha.

Haha.

Twice during lunch on a Tuesday maybe.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

Different time line sorry. No red matter in the standard universe.

The red matter came from the standard universe, just in the future.

Speaking of the iEnterprise movies, who gives a poo poo about sterilizing one planet at a time, when a star can go super nova and threaten the entire galaxy! :suicide:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I would totally get into like a west side story dance fight over which station based sci fi 90s tv show was superior.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It wasn't the Romulan star, it was a magic star that could somehow put the entire galaxy at risk. Because that's not completely retarded hack writing at all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

Wikipedia disagrees:

Kirk encounters an older Spock, who explains that he and Nero are from 129 years in the future. In that future,Romulus was threatened by a supernova. Spock's attempt to use "red matter" to create an artificial black hole and consume the supernova was too late, and Nero's family perished along with the planet.

It doesn't specifically say that it's the Romulan sun though. Under normal circumstances you would assume it would be, but the movie also used a phrase like "could threaten the entire galaxy" so that poo poo is right out the window.

Supposedly there is like a whole comic book series that explains it all in more detail, but the comic book series also talks about how Nero went and chilled with the borg for a while for some reason, and included the phrased "They tried to assimilate me, but they could assimilate ...my hate" which makes the rest of this clusterfuck of a movie look like Shakespeare by comparison.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 21, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rutibex posted:

maybe they mean the trillion+ dead on the Romulan homeworld, and the disintegration of their vast space empire as a result "could threaten the entire galaxy"

Maybe.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Spock did save the galaxy. He used his magic technobabble juice to stop the supernova wave, he just did so too late to save Romulus. Him using the red spooge on the supernova is what threw both him and nero's gay rear end garbage scow back in time in the first time place.

Nero's motivations were poo poo. I can see him being angry for awhile after it happened, but to dedicate the rest of his natural life to making Spock suffer when the had the technology and the ability to do literally anything he wanted in the past was stupid. It's one thing to have one guy snap, but the fact that his entire crew was apparently cool with dedicating their existence to revenge as well made it even dumber.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Well they did permanently dismantle him so I don't see why they couldn't have donated his body to Science. It's what Soong would've wanted... probably.

I get the feeling the Soong would have wanted Lore to win and gently caress everyone up, actually.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

TEAYCHES posted:

eugenics in the 21st century means everyone in the 24th benefits

This.

lol, just lol if you think Honey Boo Boo survived Khan's eugenics purges.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tujague posted:

It's sort of funny and sad how stirred up you guys get when I say that desperately straining and grunting to seem smart by earnestposting wildly unexamined, kid-who-read-cliff's-notes philosophy bullshit in the context of a TV spaceship show is real stupid

It's like poking a nest of obese hornets. Like, you all leap with uncharacteristic vigor and wheezing noises to make it stop and try to hurt my feelings via projection. Reminds me of that lowtax thread about changing the shitposting rules.

Holy poo poo guys, he was a puppetmaster all along, and we totally fell for it! Rekt!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought quark just put on a dress? Or does that count as a sex change and I should check my filthy cis privilege? I can never keep up.

chaosbreather posted:

Huh. I just realised Julian must have done both Daxs' medicals.

That is super awkward. How do you even deal with that?

You'd never know it by most of the episodes, but he does have a full staff working for him.

I think it would be more awkward for him to do worf's physical. You put that barbed klingon ding dong into Dax, and she liked it? Well no wonder I never had a chance.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

sinking belle posted:

What are some good weird "something's wrong with everything but everyone thinks I'm crazy" episodes? Watched Remember Me and Parallels with a buddy who hasn't seen much star trek yesterday and realised that those are my favourite kind of star trek thing.

DS9 Whispers is the best one

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Higgy posted:

So I've been moving through the treks and I'm onto Voyager because I hate myself. Some assorted thoughts as I passively let season 4 occur:

- so much squandered potential with so many glimpses of how it could've been amazing. The Borg add-ons to the ship and the decay from the year of hell should've found a way to stick around because it looks badass. I wanted to see the ship get turned into this hybridized hulking mess by now.

- Neelix can go at anytime and I wouldn't be upset

-flashes of serialization a la deep space 9 which make it intriguing and then they just lose the thread for an alien of the week ep.

-this show kind super sucks and nostalgia from watching it after school back in the day definitely doesn't hold up.

Deep Space 9 > TNG > Voyager

Still need to watch Enterprise (lol) and TOS. Light a candle for me goons, I'm gonna die drinking kanar with Damar.

All of these opinions are correct and proper.

shadow puppet of a posted:

You wont manage to make it through Enterprise if Voy is giving you this much bile. Enterprise is abysmal and so far out of the vein of the 90's style treks that its like watching some moribund, Danish-Australian co-produced sci-fi show made through co-financing through their national broadcasters. Oh wait I just described Farscape. Still, just watch Farscape instead.

And skip TOS and watch Animated TOS.

Enterprise is okay. It's a hell of a lot better than Voyager for sure. It suffers from a lot of *wink wink nudge nudge* this is what really happened or here is the origin of this idea bullshit that literally ever prequel ever made suffers from. And it's got a lot of star trek fatigue since these poor bastards have been writing star trek like their entire adult lives by this point. Season 1 and 2 start off slow, again, like every other star trek ever made, but it does pick up. Everyone loves the poo poo out of season 4, which is great overall, but it does start with one the dumbest episodes of the series. It's really the only trek where the ship feels and looks like a real ship, with a sense of scale and you can see how people could be living inside it, instead of just a cool model they ship a clip of that's unrelated to scenes inside.

DS9 > TNG > ENT > > > VOY

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nathilus posted:

I like that trek has two distinct kinds of space jews. Youve got the greedy well poisoning kind (ferengi) and the crazy religious terrorists who are recovering from a holocaust (bajorans)

Free palestine free gul dukat.

Also bajoran women are insanely bitchy.

"Have you ever served with any Bajoran women sir?"

"No, why?"

"Oh um... just wondering...."

Edit:

Angela Christine posted:

And he can do this:

That's pretty much the best alien quirk ever. Way better than the Andorian antennae wiggle or the vulcan eyebrow raise.

Wrong.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 29, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Isn't that why both klingons and romulans have bird-themed ship classes?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I wanted to watch a random TNG episode tonight, and ended up with the Irish stereotypes one. It was way more hilarious than I remember. In HD you can really see the disgust in poor Colm Meany's face in the scene where he beams them up for the first time, and a little folky Irish jig starts playing, and the head guy of course immediately runs over to offer him a drink from his hip flask, the standard greeting between two Irishmen. I think this might have been the original origin of O'Brien must suffer.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Everyone knows that autism is caused be vaccines.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The new series can be a what if section 31 never existed, and the Dominion was able to bide it's time and take over the whole alpha quadrant and a bunch of human slaves can have a perfectly upfront and transparent "government" in their slave quarters and talk about how great they all are. At some point early on there could be a reference to that time a star fleet captain caught a simple tailor trying to mislead the romulans and trick them into the war but he put a stop to that sound of underhanded immoral thing, then they'd all go start their 18 hour shift in the dylithium mines.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The General posted:

I did and it's glorious.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The General posted:

Can we get Paul Sorvino back to reprise his role as Worf's dadbrother?

Maybe Worf can mind wipe his human brother too for reasons.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you actually watch the opening credits of a show you are binging through more than two or three times at most, then it's your own god drat fault.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Without Ezri we wouldn't get the scene where Garak rips her apart, which is a great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Adm5SNv0Q

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Figaro posted:

Well yeah but that's the final scene of the episode and she'd spent the greater part of the previous 44 minutes; arguing with Worf, arguing with Sirella (Mistress of the House of Martok), having a wild party, dancing with Nog, hungover and getting dressed down by Sisko.

It's made clear in the dialogue that Jadzia realises, that while the marriage and bond that she shares with Worf is important to both of them, the wedding ceremony itself is only really important to Worf because Dax has been a bride and a groom several times already and has grown bored of ceremony. So in a twist in the old rom com formula, where it's always the bride that's getting excited about the wedding ceremony, it's actually Worf who's planned, envisioned and dreamed of his wedding day since he was a little boy. Jadzia loves Worf so she plasters a beatific smile onto her face and walks down the aisle to the man she loves. Ready to make a commitment to be his Par'Mach'kai forever. Awww

Yeah, that stupid dance she does with Nog in that episode makes up for a lot of dumb poo poo in my mind.

Jadzia isn't that well liked because the writers didn't know what the gently caress, and associated her with most of the worst story lines in DS9.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tujague posted:

With a score of 9 goonfats out of 10, smuglord has defeated the idea that there are plenty of good movies with multiple main characters by successfully obscuring his eyes with cheek fat when somebody tries to use the word "plenty" to mean "not on the top 10 list of highest grossing movies"

Also, apparently Hermione Granger wasn't a main character. Neither were any villains whatsoever.

Actually, it sort of looks like "main characters" can only mean "the two with the most screen time" so I sort of wonder why anyone even got in the ring with the one fat idiot on earth in charge of defining this poo poo, right?

Anyway, Smuglord's thesis, that normies are all stupid and he's not, remains fixed to the earth like it weights three hundred and thirty pounds, until the Day of the Fatal Sleep Apnea.

congrats bro

I know that hyperbole is all over SA, but there's one part of this post that is completely reasonable and accurate and not exaggerated.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mondian posted:

Watch Shatner's new documentary on Netflix to see interviews with this shithead. Also a bunch of people poo poo talking Gene's rear end in a top hat lawyer and rejoicing at his death, complete with offensive caricature

Is that that bridge show about "fans" being really mad that they made next generation? I should have known that dumbass would be responsible.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Does it explain why they're unheard of when they appear in NG?

I don't mind spoilers. I'm interested, but I doubt I'd ever get around to watching the actual episode.

To add to what others have said; I think it's established that whatever they are, they're trying to contact something in the delta quadrant, and it's unclear by the end of the episode if they succeeded or not, to further poo poo on the original "Q exposed humanity to the borg" story, but by the end of the episode everyone still had no idea what they were, so it makes sense that later in TNG people don't know what's up. It's still overall a pretty good episode, and a better premise than "Ferengi show up and take over the ship, but everyone's asleep, so it doesn't count as first contact."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Yeah that's much better than what I expected.

No idea why but I just presumed it would have went like, the Enterprise encounters "Primitive" borg, fights them off or they adapt and flee and then Scott Bakula goes, "Wipe the black box and everyone forget this ever happened because that was weeeeird. I hope we never see THOSE guys again!" As he stares off camera with a worried face. Fade to black.

That sort of emmy winning writing is saved for the ferengi episode. Something something REED ALERT, if only we had a directive or some sort.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Temper Trudeau posted:

I wouldn't drink targ piss from that.

Why, are there other bottles you would drink targ piss out of?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I finally watched chaos on the bridge. It was okay, and it was interesting to see all the behind the scenes stuff from the first two pretty bad seasons. That lawyer dude has probably been dead for years now, and he's still playing Gene's bad cop and taking the heat. It suffered from having William Shatner's ego and now 30 year old grudge attached, and would have been a lot better with someone else. I'm almost certain he was feeding people lines as he "interviewed" them, and it also seemed like makeup let anyone who wasn't on Shatner's side look all gross and sweaty. I expect they probably played up all the conflicting versions of events too.

Listening to Steward talking about bailing on a live segment and telling Good Morning America to go gently caress themselves was the highlight of my day though.

Edit: The stupid comic book art was crap too, but I'm not really happy with the visuals in almost all documentaries so meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Didn't the last movie blatantly setup the facial piercing nu klingon story for the third movie? I didn't see a single forehead ridge, pierced or otherwise. Also, why is there a jem'hedar?

Real insightful posting by this shitstain again. It's been literal seconds since I've seen anyone mention a fedora :iceburn:

• Locked thread