Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

happyhippy posted:

I loving hated selling shows on VHS back then.
When DS9 was being aired, in the UK it was either watch it a year after it actually came out, or buy 2 episodes per VHS for £20.
£20 was a lot for us kids, so a friend and I decided to get them between us, each in turn.
Took us about 300-400 quids worth to realize was not loving worth it.

$40 dollars to watch Move Along Home...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I was about to say that it must make it really hard to deal with spies, but lol at the idea that Starfleet cares about security.

I got the impression from watching DS9 that they did all their top secret security debriefings at Quark's.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm halfway through Season 7 of DS9. Wow, Ronald D. Moore tried his best to ruin the show with his lovely romance and new age bullshit, didn't he? It's great that Damar and Kai Win can carry the show, but they shouldn't have to.

I've been wanting to watch the show with my Grandfather who was something of a TNG fan, but we'll never have enough time to watch every episode of every season. Is there something like an Abridged Deep Space 9 list of episodes that include the important plot points and character arcs + only the good bottle episodes?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
My pah is too weak for such a task.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

...and second, the actress playing Ezri trying to act like a badass was the most embarrassing thing on the whole show. Getting your rear end kicked by her is like getting your rear end kicked by Justin Beiber trying to impersonate a Chipmunk. That actress was really, really bad all the time though: She consistently came off as "I bet this is a nice person who has no idea what the gently caress is going on in this sci-fi show and is confused as all hell."

She never stopped pouting. God, it was like if Whedon wrote a character for the show. Just awful.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is this the Babylon 5 thread?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I just finished Voice in the Wilderness Part 2. Up until now I've been willing to forgive Babylon 5 for all of its flaws, but something about this episode really rubbed me the wrong way. For one thing, the show has a distinct militaristic theme and yet no one respects the chain of command. Everyone talks back to their superiors, and it's always over trivial bullshit or in life threatening situations where seconds should count. It reminds me of Aaron Sorkin's writing where witty dialogue means giving every character down to the lowliest, nameless extra a retort to whatever has been said to them. On the other hand, there are times when characters accept absurd, seemingly contradictory orders without batting an eye. Like when Sinclair tells Garibaldi that if they have to evacuate the station the command staff may have to remain behind to die when the planet they're orbiting explodes.

Then, in the very next sentence, he tells Garibaldi to make sure Ivanova gets off the station, even though she's the second highest ranking member of the command staff. But you can stay here and die, Garibaldi, you ugly lump. To which Garibaldi just smiles and nods his head.

I think the reason I found this exchange so annoying is because I know B5 is a one-man show. JMS wrote nearly all the episodes and it's painfully apparent that no one on the production staff gave him any push back on his lovely writing. Do things get better in the later seasons?

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 9, 2016

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

These two guys are carrying me through the first season.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Jesus man, Time Trax?

gently caress...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2joNIuEE9zk

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 9, 2016

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is that the one where they're mech pilots and it lasted all of like 9 episodes?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Delsaber posted:

Any talk about 90s mechs just makes me think of Exosquad.

gently caress yeah.

This show was good poo poo. An American cartoon in the mid 90s where people actually died. I had to wake up at 5:30am to watch it, but it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Robot Jox is never quite as good as you want it to be. Still a fun movie.

• Locked thread