Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Sunshine posted:

What the federation would actually be like:

Robots everywhere. Robots cleaning everything, maintaining everything, operating everything, doing almost all of the work. Robots maintaining other robots.

90% of the human population living permanently in holodecks or laying around all day in a permanent Risa-like vacation, most of them illiterate and stoned on whatever drugs are legal or available.

Those with any drive or ambition or desire to do anything are running society, in the military, or being scientists or artists or chefs. Whatever perks society has are offered to those willing to actually do anything. Also to those couples who actually manage to give birth, since the availablility of holodeck sex means most men lose all interest in having a long term relationship with a real woman.

On a federation starship, the crew is relatively small, as most of the work is done by robots. No person stands in the brig and guards a prisoner, or does menial "recalibrate the such and such" engineering work.

You could never actually do a star trek show like this, because it would be impractical and uninteresting to watch a show with robots everywhere doing everything.
You've invented The Culture.

And you're right, it would be uninteresting so you have to have it take place on the fringes or from the perspective of outsiders who are enemies of the society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

Oh no

Nerdcandy

In the star trek thread

Noooooo
If the Federation built a No-Ship they could avoid Q's prescience.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Delsaber posted:

While the official phrasing of the Prime Directive is something like "don't interfere with their natural development," that's just a PR cover for "all our early explorers and freighter captains couldn't stop sticking their dicks in things and we got tired of dealing with the medical expenses/hit squads/reparations."
Yeah that's pretty much it.

They don't want glory-hounds like Kirk to go off and conquer his own planet like a starfaring Julius Caesar. (And he totally would if it wasn't for the Prime Directive.) But more importantly the Prime Directive only applies to planets that are too low on the totem pole to be worth occupying. The Federation is an empire and it is imperialistic, but it's insidious about it as Quark and Garak pointed out.

The Federation is a post-scarcity society but not totally. It's got to mine some resources. And for that, it has to "tax" member worlds to pay for the human-dominated Starfleet and its expansive social welfare state. In exchange, Starfleet protects those worlds from the depredations of other warlike powers. Maybe they even do a little "hey, nice planet here, would be a shame if something ... HAPPENED to it" protection racket.

So the Prime Directive keeps costs down and is good for internal political stability by reigning in its lunatic starship captains.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kenzie posted:

I wanna know if that house makes space engine humming noises

Like does he just play this on a loop all the time or what
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AwAcMSfPQ
It plays this on repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmPFLClPjM

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of screwed up Star Trek fans, remember the story about the German cannibal and the guy he met over the Internet who wanted to be eaten?

quote:

On the evening of March 9, the two men went up to the bedroom in Meiwes' rambling timbered farmhouse. Mr Brandes swallowed 20 sleeping tablets and half a bottle of schnapps before Meiwes cut off Brandes' penis, with his agreement, and fried it for both of them to eat.

Brandes - by this stage bleeding heavily - then took a bath, while Meiwes read a Star Trek novel.

In the early hours of the morning, he finished off his victim by stabbing him in the neck with a large kitchen knife, kissing him first.

The cannibal then chopped Mr Brandes into pieces and put several bits of him in his freezer, next to a takeaway pizza, and buried the skull in his garden.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/dec/04/germany.lukeharding

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol if you play Star Trek Online and haven't built a full-scale replica of the Enterprise bridge in your gaming room complete with blinking LCARS interfaces

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*pops open tricorder app on smartphone*

*begins scanning thread for signs of nerdiness*

*tricorder breaks*

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TEAYCHES posted:

i always liked the humiliating, heavily padded outfits the romulan empire forced their people to wear
same those were the best

let's take this late 80s, early 90s thing as far as it can possibly go

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs-_6ky5qwA

:captainpop:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

A better one could definitely be done but I have to assume it won't be. Dune's themes would be really uncomfortable for a TV audience these days.
Let's see...

Human-induced climate change. The idea that superheroes are horrible. A society built after people violently rebelled against computers. And the protagonists in the first book are essentially the Islamic State in space -- who kill their own children -- and the villains are homosexual pederasts.

I don't see any problems. Kids on social media will love it!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kids don't know poo poo. Film it anyway and watch the tumblr tears.
Oh Dune is the best book ever. I'm just saying that I'm lolling. Better yet, make a Foundation miniseries and then have a Dune miniseries follow it, because Dune is basically Frank Herbert spending a few decades of his life arguing that Asimov was wrong in thinking that having future-predicting space wizards being in charge of everything was a good idea.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've never been able to get into TOS because the generation gap is just too wide. TNG is great. DS9 is great. But I'd rather watch Voyager than TOS.

The gap is just too wide. My dad grew up on it, bought the Gold Key comic books with his allowance money and still has the fan newsletters where Roddenberry sold off his production scripts for extra cash.

When I watch it with him he's still in awe. TOS was eye-popping and just woah. He's like: "Look at those colors!" It was ... color television! He'll make fun of the cheesy stuff too but it's just a totally different perspective.

Before TOS you watched Petticoat Junction or loving Lassie while the B-47s orbited overhead with their bellies full of atomic bombs.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 1, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
star trek movies have always kind of sucked there's like two (maybe three) good ones.

star trek is a TV show first and was always better as a TV show.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They should've made Sigourney Weaver play the captain and have Jodie Foster play one of the archvillains.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lmao but bakunin should be ron moore

and marx should be rick berman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Totally out of my rear end, but I wonder if it had to do with the advent of color television and just going HOG WILD with the possibilities.
Pretty sure yes. I watch TOS sometimes with my dad and every time he goes "LOOK AT THOSE COLORS." For him, it was revolutionary compared to the other poo poo on TV, like Perry Mason and Petticoat Junction.

It was a broader cultural thing too. I was at an aviation museum and one thing that blew my mind was a mannequin history of stewardess uniforms. It started from the 1950s, when it was still heavily influenced by the military.

And then in the 1960s it jumped to THIS

It was jarring. And then there were several decades of the airlines gradually dialing it down to the modern business-look they have today.

• Locked thread