Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Figaro posted:

O'Brien/Bashir was the best relationship. It was beautiful.

Even if poor tormented Miles cried after every time they had sex together on the Holodeck and warned Bashir that "it was definetly the last time and Keiko could never find out because it would destroy her and he would never get to see Molly and the other one again"

Of course Keiko knew, or at least suspected but she was too busy sexting the dreamy long haired Bajorian botanist she met on a six month expedition of the Janitza mountains

Please don't plagiarize my girlfriend's fanfiction thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I do like the idea of having more "all-alien" episodes. I think Klingon gets too clunky being juxtaposed all the time to the stuffy Starfleet stuff. I'd like a mini-series or maybe just a three-part kung-fu style cheesy adventure story of a bunch of Klingons competing to do something. Maybe play up the Asian influences on their culture, have a martial arts tournament with a murder sub plot and some hot Klingon cheeks in leotards and

wait what were we talking about again

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This is HBO right because the Klingon show should be basically Rome meets Game of Thrones meets Ip Man.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cry Havoc posted:

wth is ip man

intellectual property man

Are disputes over intellectual property solved with sweet kung fu fights?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dicere posted:

Just watched "Let He Who is Without Sin ..." the other night. In case you're unfamiliar, Worf and Dax go Risa to work on their relationship because Worf is goony and possessive. He's a total loving baby about it. He stumbles across this moralist movement that showed up to protest decadence in the Federation. So, in the space of a day or two, he reads their literature, buys in whole hog, and helps them taking the weather controls offline - ruining the vacation of at least 100,000 people (a figure Dax uses). So now there's lightning storms and everyone's pissy while the Risans have to repair the weather controls. Meanwhile the moralists decide a storm isn't enough and turn off the seismic controls (likely with knowledge they obtained from Worf). So Worf and Dax save the day, arrest the terrorists, everyone is happy and Worf and Dax kiss and cuddle in the runabout back to DS9.

I'm just getting back into DS9 (around mid-series where I stopped watching years ago) and I know there are some good episodes, but drat. I thought the writers would have tired of Worf being a constant liability like he was on TNG.

I actually think that episode is one of the most interesting involving Worf, because Dax basically tells him what the whole thread has been saying: he's a shadow of a Klingon, a joyless stick in the mud unwilling to bend for anyone.

Worf is actually treated more realistically than ever before--while he has some great successes and victories and gets some great moments, he's also got some of his biggest failures and gently caress-ups and those go along too. There's a great episode where he's unable to fulfil a mission and allows a Cardassian informant to be killed so he can save Jadzia's life after she's injured by the Jem'Hadar in a jungle. His career is shot, but he keeps his job at least, but it's a great moment that defines his character, and even Sisko says that in the end, he'd have probably made the same choice.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Jambalaya is pretty loving tasty.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The way I view the Maquis is that they exist so far from the glorious paradise of Earth that they've gone wild, so to speak, and aren't as nurtured by the Federation as other places are. They have had to, unlike so many other generations preceding, eke a living out in a hostile environment, tame and terraform their way to a thriving civilization, and they accomplished this with very little help and support from Big Government back home. They are proud of what they have done, but now that their work is just about done, they've made these planets into viable places to live...and the Government, who did so little to help them (or so they feel) has taken their land away and given it to a bunch of filthy spoonheads and you know those Cardassians had been sending rape and pillage parties into Macquis territory for decades and didn't you hear about Celulon 4, a colony of 30,000 people whom the Cardassians disrupted from orbit on a whim?

That's the way I see it. The Maquis are wrong, but they have good enough reasons for why they do what they do. Politics isn't a factor for them--they are, in fact, revolting AGAINST politics in general. They're frontiersman with ships.

That's what makes Eddington so perfect for them: he's Starfleet through and through, but he dreams of being some revolutionary hero, and the Maquis cause is just pointless enough to work: innocent, hard-working people who just want to defend a land which they feel is theirs by right, who dare to fight the most powerful forces in the galaxy to have their independence. The Maquis would probably have quietly surrendered after a couple years if Eddington hadn't given them hope and tactical prowess.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Even Bashir says that the human brain remains an enduring mystery, so even in the 24th century, the mind is truly the final frontier.

If only the Federation hadn't culled all the religious people, they might have a Buddhist hanging around to explain poo poo to them.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Sounds like a Klingon wet dream.

Speaking of, is it supposed to be implied that the race of aliens that created all life in the galaxy was genocided by the Klingons? They mention that they killed off their gods, and I would consider it very poetic and appropriate that the Klingons were the last race to be made by the Engineers WhoeverTheyAres, and they were either the best or the worst race they made...which led to their destruction.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Yeah there's a level of stupidity at which I just white out. Some people think it's weird. But, on the other hand,

U mad?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Boy, it's a good thing that the gently caress toy started banging the boss man or she never would have earned the respect of her peers!

You should smoke a joint or something man.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

drilldo squirt posted:

Does anyone else find the ferengi sex change episode kinda weird? Like, they force quark to get a sex change against his will. That's kinda rapey to me.

His mother whoring him out to get her political agenda passed feels appropriate though. Ferengi are weird.

EDIT: It's a funny episode and I like it tho

EDIT EDIT: Bashir's deadpan is the funniest part, he's just kinda there, happy to turn your dick into a Ferengi cashbox if ya know what I mean. He'll even change it back!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Entropic posted:

Yeah, Wil Wheaton somehow came out the other end of being the butt of every TNG joke as a nice, well-adjusted guy who does cool stuff and actually has a healthy relationship with the whole Star Trek fandom thing.

I guess, but I don't know what to call him. I don't think he qualifies as an "actor" since he doesn't really do any acting. He's basically a professional nerd?

What I'm saying is, Wesley needs to get a real job.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Honestly, if the only change this results in is just slightly more bloom, I'm okay with the change. The new Trek universe has been so poorly fleshed out that they can honestly just do the same old poo poo they've always done with Star Trek and barely refer back to the new films.

I just don't see how they could ever hope to do anything as complex as Deep Space Nine with the shallow world they are now playing in.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I just want two Trek shows: one a traditional Trek show, like TOS and TNG, and one a spin-off designed to show off a new corner of the universe. Maybe do something kind of weird and have it centered around a restaurant in space. That way you can do lavish sets and have people in civilian clothes, but also have big state dinners and Starfleet officers coming 'round for the best plate of Torellian Squash Maggots in the whole quadrant.

Maybe a weird cross between Downton Abbey, Star Trek, and throw in a murder mystery subplot underneath it all. The best part would be to have Hannibal-esque food for all the weird alien dishes, and one of the main cast is a belligerent four-armed alien Frenchman.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there any reason to assume that Section 31 is even known by the Federation? I figured they were just bankrolled by particularly rich Federation types and were otherwise effectively a domestic terrorist organization. That's sort of the thing--they're so deep cover, they may as well not actually be covered at all.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

counterfeitsaint posted:

The new series can be a what if section 31 never existed, and the Dominion was able to bide it's time and take over the whole alpha quadrant and a bunch of human slaves can have a perfectly upfront and transparent "government" in their slave quarters and talk about how great they all are. At some point early on there could be a reference to that time a star fleet captain caught a simple tailor trying to mislead the romulans and trick them into the war but he put a stop to that sound of underhanded immoral thing, then they'd all go start their 18 hour shift in the dylithium mines.

Somehow, I feel like the Dominion would ultimately crumble under its own weight if it took over the Alpha Quadrant. It sort of seems like they are at a breaking point as it is--the Founders are wholly removed from active governance, and their genetic monsters seem to be growing increasingly harder to control.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

a show about quark, neelix, and geordi

Quark and Neelix immediately become the most successful business partnership in the Quadrant.

Their business is having Geordi hosting an entertainment programme about literary holosuites and helping children understand the difference between Earth's Robin Hood versus the translated-for-Klingons version.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

Just watched the DS9 episode where they like imagine themselves into a crisis and at the end they're all "ha ha none of this is actually happening! Episode resolved!"

lol

Isn't that the episode where you first meet the Founders?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Gutcruncher posted:

Is that a different episode? You learn they're the founders when you learn its all a dream, right?

Yes. It's weird, but it shows that the Founders aren't a foe interested in destroying things, they're interested in control. It only seems out of place 'cause you know so little about the Dominion at that point, but by the end of the show the whole sequence demonstrates that A) the Dominion are genetic engineers and seem more comfortable working with biology rather than lifeless technology and B) The Dominion have a strong philosophical creedo behind their actions, and as cruel as they seem, they aren't just murderers--they allow the Federation people to leave the planet of their own free will.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm talking about the one where O'Brien imagines Rumplestilskin into existence and Bashir is embarrassed by his fantasy waifu version of Dax becoming real and then Odo chases an emu

just so we're all on the same page here

Oh!

Oh.

yeah that episode was weird lol

I like those ones a lot though, they're so off-beat. I put them under the heading "O'Brien Episodes" because he always got the weirdest high concept sci-fi poo poo, like when he got displaced in time.

Ralp posted:

my best guess was Our Man Bashir where the main characters get trapped in his james bond holodeck program so ("SPOILERS") he just lets the bad guys win because it doesn't matter

Second best episode of the whole Star Trek

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Naxuz posted:

It's telling that the cliched "oh ho ho, the two frenemies get stuck in a dangerous situation and must rely on each other to get out of it" episode with Quark and Odo stuck on a mountain actually managed to be really engaging. Apparently Shimerman and Auberjonois were, in Auberjonois' words, "very dear friends" in real life and it shows through.

That episode was fantastic and justified them turning Odo into a hu-mon for half a season

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

shadow puppet of a posted:

If only he put that same zest into his part in Fallout 4.

Tuvok is in Fallout 4?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Figaro posted:

He was also rather randomly in one of DS9's mirror universe episodes, playing the same character but a bit dirty and a rebel

That was pretty cool though. I wonder what mirror universe Janeway is like.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
God drat this episode where Nog and Vic Fontaine deal with his PTSD is so loving good.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Luigi Thirty posted:

wasn't he a robot? I thought he exploded in a shower of sparks

Nah, he has a big bloody scorch mark in his chest. He's also a random dual-pistol wielding bad rear end, and no further explanation is given for his presence, it is wonderful.

Evil Kira is great but goddamn somebody needs to just SHOOT her now. How many times does she walk past the heroes with a gun, there's a standoff, and then somebody lets her go? I mean, seriously people!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm sad because I think this is going to be the last Mirror Universe episode and those have been consistently the best episodes of their seasons.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh my gosh Captain Sisko just sang a duet with Vic Fontaine and I'm just beside myself with glee

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Haha, Damar is loving awesome. Weyoun gets jacked up right in front of him and he just laughs and laughs.

I love the Cardassians.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

With a score of 9 goonfats out of 10, smuglord has defeated the idea that there are plenty of good movies with multiple main characters by successfully obscuring his eyes with cheek fat when somebody tries to use the word "plenty" to mean "not on the top 10 list of highest grossing movies"

Also, apparently Hermione Granger wasn't a main character. Neither were any villains whatsoever.

Actually, it sort of looks like "main characters" can only mean "the two with the most screen time" so I sort of wonder why anyone even got in the ring with the one fat idiot on earth in charge of defining this poo poo, right?

Anyway, Smuglord's thesis, that normies are all stupid and he's not, remains fixed to the earth like it weights three hundred and thirty pounds, until the Day of the Fatal Sleep Apnea.

congrats bro

Why are you so very angry

You were mean to Terry Dax and now you're mean to whatever the gently caress people

You should relax. Get your peenie slickled.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

In TOS the female crewmembers wear miniskirts, not the men!

I miss those miniskirts.

What happened to them?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Really dark compared to the series.

The change from TV lighting to film lighting.

It's something to be said for Nu Trek, the poo poo was bloom-filled and flashy, but at least the ship looked as well-lit as it does in most of the TV shows, i.e. everything has a light source.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Iprazochrome posted:

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

It looks like it'd be a fun movie if it wasn't Star Trek.

I dunno, I liked the first JJ Trek, I thought it was fun and flashy and eh, not super Trekky, but campy and fun.

Into Darkness was just hot loving piss soaked garbage though, jesus loving Christ.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, should this script end with the last twenty minutes consisting of Kirk dying and Spock having a fist-fight atop moving vehicles?

...well, I'm gonna end it that way anyway! gently caress you!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Are you now a Nu Trek fan?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Honestly, that's far too respectable a picture. That guy almost looks good in his suit and dumb hat and fake sword. He's not even obese, give me obesity.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
JJ didn't care about Trek, he cares about Star Wars. That's the hope, anyway. A new hope, if you will.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

drilldo squirt posted:

It's already explained, idiot.

It got explained after the fact.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The best scene in all of Trek is Quark reciting Picard's "The line must be drawn here" speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The Prophets do quite a bit though. They destroy s fleet, which we didn't think thrm capable of. And they correctly prophesied and even developed prophecy technology in the form of the orbs.

But are they more powerful than the Q?

• Locked thread