Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I think the best Star Trek episodes tend to be the ones where they never leave the ship/space station and just deal with some complicated temporal situation in a confined space, usually having everyone's major character traits clash together in surreal or new ways.

What I'm trying to say is, the next Trek movie should be Reservoir Dogs in Space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
An Alien show that never showed the Alien would be kind of novel, but I think I'd rather do a long-form Alien story.

Ten episodes, pace it like an HP Lovecraft book, with a slow burn with a rapid rush to a gruesome finish. Set it in a single location, maybe a research lab, and most of the action comes from impersonal reports delivered to the main characters, who are researching different parts of the Alien creature but are not allowed to share data with each other, so they never realize what exactly they are researching.

Isolation and the rigors of their work lead to psychological breakdowns and it could end with one main character watching the security doors open up and releasing the research specimens, and he doesn't know if he's hallucinating or not as swarms of blurry alien silhouettes rush towards him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Filthy Hans posted:

Uhh, aren't like 75% of DS9's plots facilitated by Quark's criminal enterprises? If a terrorist or a bioweapon or an assassin makes it on board it's almost always Quark's fault. Also there are a bunch of episodes where Odo utilizes Quark as an informant or criminal consultant, unreliable though he may be. He's sidelined in much of the main plot, however, resigned to chatting up the more involved characters in those episodes.

This makes him all the better.

He's basically Humphrey Bogart from Casablanca in space.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

If he was just acting as Dukat IRL then the man is a treasure imo.

If he was Dukat IRL he would have ended up loving her, then sending her to a labor camp.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The Pah-Wraiths aren't even that big of a derail to the plot. They exist, like the Prophets, outside of the Dominion vs Alpha Quadrant conflict and they serve to book-end the beginning and the end of the show. It's not terribly Star Trek-like to have a magical red-eyed devil man be the final confrontation, but it's pretty worth it to have Sisko ascend to supreme godhood.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Yeah, the Prophets and Pa-Wraiths showed up like six or eight times in the whole show, and four or five of them were pretty bad. Like, DS9's pilot doesn't get enough credit, and they did a swell job introducing them - Sisko gets to showcase his intellect and argue these weird non-temporal aliens down, and they conduct some impromptu therapy on him, and they have a mutual breakthrough. Good stuff. (Dax is standing right next to him and her character development is a shamefully brief cop-out, natch).

If they had planned from the beginning to say "There are evil wormhole aliens who got exiled on Bajor. They are still dangerous, explaining why the Prophets give a poo poo and why they influenced the Bajoran religion." That could have been a road map for the rest of the series. But later on, they were pretty obviously just hucking poo poo at the wall to see if it stuck. Sisko, you can't get married. Sisko, Bajor can't join the Federation. Or else. Because we care. I mean, we don't care, but, talk us into caring this time. poo poo, we forgot to teach the model who played Jennifer Sisko how to act. Okay, let's never talk about this again. Oops, series is ending, umm, let's make Gul Dukat evil space Jesus and give him an evil magic book, I guess.

The Bajoran religion storylines were mostly pretty good, especially in the way they critiqued traditionalism and made Kira into a well-meaning dumbass every once in a while. That could have been worse. But the parts where the actual magical energy beings showed up were not easy to sit through.

Actually, it seems like they were laying a groundwork for future shows to pick up upon. Bajor doesn't end up in the Federation immediately, but that's fine because it's pretty realistic and gives you more stuff you can do in Bajor later on.

Sisko can't get married because he is training to become a Buddha in White Space. He could show up later to herald a new conflict for the Federation in 20 odd years.

Gul Dukat becoming evil space Jesus is absolutely bonkers, but it's exactly the kind of ending he deserves. He has a moment of introspection following madness, attempts to reconcile his self-delusions with his real actions, and ultimately just doubles down on his villainy. He becomes Snively Whiplash and Jim Jones combined and that's a beautiful peak for a villain to reach.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 2, 2016

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Hmmm yes you are right, it makes perfect sense if you yank some random made-up bullshit out of your rear end and think it through backwards

Don't know how I missed that

edit: actually

They literally say he'll be back within that one lady's lifetime.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
COLD OPEN: The new Star Trek captain is gonna do some dumb poo poo and is ready to hit the kill switch on some dumb suicide plan when a baseball hits him on the head out of nowhere, knocking him unconscious.

Sisko is there in a baseball uniform, smoke rising off his shoulders. He walks over to the captain's chair, sits down, bat lain across his knees, and with a smirk at the camera says "Now, let's really play ball"

que intro music

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Don't doxx yourself in this good thread.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd like to see a sequel to that absolutely terrifying claymation Mark Twain movie with Star Trek characters in it.

Like, Data has a conversation with claymation Satan.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Shab posted:

I do this too but my callback word is ALAMARAIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IMBUa7w9K4

I really wish those guys had shown up again in some late season episode for a cameo. What a weird race.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

shadow puppet of a posted:

That was a bummer. Was that an issue of paying writers credit if a species is re-used? Those were the best aliens, aside from Weyoun himself, to come through that worm hole.

I'd honestly love to have them come back with some sort of three dimensional dungeons and dragons game and put the Season 7 cast, including Garak, into a medieval knights and magic setting.

Garak would naturally play a rogue, Sisko is a paladin or cleric, Kira would be a barbarian/warrior, Ezri would be a wizard...

For shits and giggles, Worf is a bard, and while he initially resents not being a warrior, he secretly loves singing at the top of his lungs while everyone charges in to fight the dragon, which is voiced by Gul Dukat of course.

The quest is given to them by Kai Winn, who of course turns out to be the real villain in the end.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Bashir is forbidden from rolling the dice because his genetic augmentations would give him an advantage. Instead, Nog serves as his surrogate roller, but falls ill at the last minute and is replaced with Rom, who plays a halfling and is also a terrible roller. As such, every action Bashir takes has a critical failure that only serves to make things worse for him.

EDIT: At the end, though, Quark slips Rom some loaded dice and he gets a perfect 20 to save the day. Nobody can prove anything, and Odo makes a pithy remark about how sometimes cheating makes the game better.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Honeytrapping Kira with sexy mirror Bareil was a good use of the resource, but time spent inside "Smiley's" DS9 was generally a waste of time given the brief window of opportunity DS9 had while it was making Star Trek cool and good.

Sorry but the Mirror Universe episodes were easily the highlights of their seasons and pirate Sisko is the best loving thing. He's so hammy and swashbuckling that I sort of wish he kept it up when he got back to the regular universe.

Evil Kira is the best character, she's just...she's so evil! And horny. She's very evil and very horny.

EDIT: Also Mirror Bashir totally existed and he was scruffy and unkempt and fairly violent and petty and he was always challenging Sisko and later Smiley for authority.

I don't know what happens to him in the end, except that he kills Mirror Vic Fontaine in a sweet phaser gun battle.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Would.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

What is it about a man in jorts and white athletic ankle socks that you all find to be so irresistible?

His winning personality.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Do Ferengi even have regular sex? Don't they get off through their ears?

The gently caress are Leeta and Rom doing together

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Quick somebody post that gif of the Grand Nagus tugging Quark's ear.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what was this quote from Damar

something like "my family needs an alcoholic this generation and I will fill that role"

what ep is that

I tried to google it but all I can find is alcoholism help resources

I don't recall him saying anything quite that on the nose, but he's pretty laissez-faire about his drinking problem whenever Weyoun pouts at him about it and that is pretty much all of season 6 and 7.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

My Q-Face posted:

Massive dicks that all women lust after, according to Roddenberry's one page treatment of the species, over a third of which is dedicated to their sexual prowess.

What no links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Typical Pubbie posted:

These two guys are carrying me through the first season.

They kind of make the show, honestly. Babylon 5 has a lot of weird poo poo but somehow the cast and characters manage to make it endearing.

• Locked thread