Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mondian posted:

Cardassian ladies have blue spoons and neck ridges. Genetics or makeup?

Get bluer spoons and firmer ridges with this one weird trick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

There's probably stuff in the first couple seasons you can skip, but from the season 2 finale onwards you're better off just watching it all with very few exceptions, yeah.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Oh that's a good choice too

Watch them both

A surprising number of guest stars appear on both shows, too. The "hey, it's that guy" factor might help some folks get into B5 who otherwise wouldn't.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Nondescript Van posted:

Do a compilation of Riker sitting down in a chair the wrong way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

There's an oddly large number of these on YouTube.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Mr. Pumroy posted:

the best relationship is klingon chef and fresh gagh

Second best is Odo/Quark.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

MikeJF posted:

That would've been fine if they hadn't combined it with totally making GBS threads the bed on the depiction of the Vulcans themselves in general.

It was way better after the season 4 vulcan re-reformation episode where they sorted that poo poo out though. Terra Prime was just the kind of thing we were expecting from Enterprise.

The initial depiction was dumb yeah, but there were exceptions here and there. #notallvulcans I guess. I was fine with how they retconned that stuff in the re-formation episodes, explaining away their earlier behaviour as the result of a Romulan infiltration program made sense since the show was building to the war at that point anyway. If the series had continued we'd probably remember a lot of that rough early characterization a lot more favourably, or just be more willing to handwave it, even if it took a retcon to give it purpose.

Enterprise is such a loving weird show compared to the others.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Star Trek: Archer, just Enterprise episodes redone with Sterling Archer taking the place of Jonathan Archer.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

At that point, they should just make Space Quest 5 into an actual TV show.

That's easily my favourite of the Space Quest games so I'm all for it.

Every episode should have a post-credits killscreen version of an earlier scene complete with snarky narration.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

If your series pitch includes a registry number then you've already gone too far.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Bringing back the Borg and Ferengi was dumb but honestly that only accounts for like two episodes out of eighty-something, so I have a hard time caring about it. And they weren't even bad episodes really, just out of place. It's a low bar to jump but somehow the Borg episode was probably better than most of Voyager's endless Borg plots.

I think the real problem with Enterprise was the aimless time war arc, at least until it got spun into something else, and some of the "edgy" production decisions which plagued a lot of television in the 00s. But it could've been a lot worse if the network had their way. "Next week on Star Trek: Enterprise: special guests Finger Eleven!"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Tighclops posted:

The other night as I was stacking food on shelves at my minimum wage slave job, I came across a package labeled "Jambalaya"

JAMBALAYA I exclaimed excitedly, before I realized that it was 4 am and real life and nobody else could hear me

Star Trek

That's the best time to do that honestly.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

doodlebugs posted:

Captain Kirk had the Enterprise destroy an ancient civilizations "god" because gently caress the prime directive.

I like to think that Kirk was secretly miserable all the time and felt compelled to destroy everyone else's happiness at every opportunity just out of spite. One of the many funny things about Star Trek fans is how many of 'em bend over backwards to justify and rationalize that behaviour.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Apart from putting his scaly pecker in a Bajoran.
Twice.

The time he fathered an illegitimate child with one of his wacko cultists was the best, especially that reveal to the crowd. "Oh, uh, wow... how did that get there? Heh heh heh..."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Entropic posted:

It's almost as if the writers were making poo poo up on an episode by episode basis and didn't have a real plan for what the Maquis were actually supposed to be.

Pretty much, yeah. The only plan I can think of was that they wanted a band of mullety rebels for Voyager. I don't think the Maquis were ever really meant to represent any real world political groups in particular.

There are folks who wander off into the mountains or the desert for whatever reason and get really attached to their little slice of wilderness, especially once they've built the place up to be reasonably self-sustaining and start having kids who'll presumably inherit everything later on. It's a lifestyle thing more than a political thing; the Maquis strike me as a combination of that hippy commune stuff with the much more militant survivalist/prepper bullshit that always seems to end with people building bunkers or stockpiling canned goods and shotgun shells.

They're probably really big Propagandhi fans.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

shadow puppet of a posted:

Alternatively I'd watch a 6 episode series arc of each respective show but as written by the other camp to prove how awful each show was in the eyes of its critics. DumbSpaceWhine and BabysOnFive.

Preferably done in the style of Strong Bad's Teen Girl Squad.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Nondescript Van posted:

So is the federation/Earth actually cashless or do they get paid but they don't care and just see it as booze money?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx5I7uEEEYo

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

As you can see, the real deal with O'Brien is that he's Sisko's chief engineer. He's in his forties, is married, and currently resides on Deep Space Nine. Thanks for writing!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You don't have to be Vulcan to do that.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Phlox understands the power of positivity.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Sometimes Phlox watches from a stool, sometimes from inside a closet, and almost always wearing a Superman costume.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Kitchner posted:

Personally I think the next Trek should just be about Quark

He finally got that moon he wanted, but now Space Court has forced Brunt to be his butler! Can they get along in the Denorius Belt? 7/8PM central, only on CBS: America's Most Watched Network.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, a fight against them...from the inside!

Hail Hydra Section 31.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Ambrose Burnside posted:

brooks seems like a hella cool guy but also how is he a real person. i mean

Much like Sun Ra before him, Brooks is probably from Saturn or something.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

All I hear in my head when I look at this is Friday Night, Saturday Morning by The Specials.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only interesting thing you could do with Worf now would be to explore his human side. Dude was orphaned at 2 or 3 years old, spent his whole adolescence in Russia, and still pretends to be this ultra-klingon who's better than humans. A Captain Worf pilot would ideally have someone call him out on this bullshit and he spends the next seven seasons watching Julia Roberts movies and drinking root beer.

Worf swaps his sash for a sweater vest. Vacations on Risa, wears socks with sandals.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIw690VGt70

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Tighclops posted:

lol gently caress everything then

If I had a flippable table in front of me, I would probably flip it.

I guess there's no money in remastering stuff for streaming services? That sucks.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

DS9 was going to be Ro's big thing but Michelle Forbes turned down the role.

e: f;b. Check out the cup of coffee she had on BSG maybe, that was pretty good.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I've yet to find a way to work in a good long bellow of "The higherrr... The fewerrrrr" into my life and its causing me distress.

Sounds like you need to have more conversations about economics.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Tujague posted:

Maybe the new star trek captain should be a rapey, power-tripping coke fiend with a slowly rotting brain

Please don't post your CV on the forums.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The boys got into another scrap, I'm afraid. But boys will be boys.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Geordi and Barclay are redditors. Harry Kim is a goon.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

It really was.

Man what about that Borg named Hugh

Nechayev was right.

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill 'em all.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

loss.jpg adds more people every time I see it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

J.J. W. Abrams doesn't care about space people.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Snatch Duster please write or find one for Babylon 5 vs. Star Trek presuming heavy, but not direct, Vorlon support of an all-races B5 alliance, excepting of course the Makab, Shadow and Drakh peoples.

Star Wreck exists so this is probably unnecessary.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

FrensaGeran posted:

Guess the episode of DS9: the station celebrates Bajoran Burning Man and everyone rolls their loving faces off. Also, O'Brien suffers.

The wedding episode was pretty great.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Deepwater Black, starring a pre-DS9 Nicole de Boer and a bunch of MTV veejays.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Any talk about 90s mechs just makes me think of Exosquad.

gently caress yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Nothing screams "2002" quite like Jessica Alba, looking at me like I owe her money.

• Locked thread