Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

"Are you using our IP to make money? Yes? Stop that!"

Seems simple enough to me?

Well they didn't seem to care about a whole bunch of other fan movies - though maybe this is the first one with a big enough budget for CBS/Paramount to actually receive a decent amount in damages?

Furthermore, what about the knock-on positive affect to Trek (and thus revenue for CBS/Paramount) as a whole that a successful fan-film, professionally done, could have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

shadow puppet of a posted:

Nobody cares what that other thread thinks, they have no appreciation for the virility of the Cardassian male figure.

Or female, scaly boobs or go home

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

PassTheRemote posted:

It's the reason after seeing DS9, I could not stomach Voyager. To me, DS9 was so great, Voyager just made me frustrated and bored.

Also, no Garak, so that was a deal breaker.

Although once you watch Battlestar Galactica you realise it beats DS9 at it's own game.

Also: that Cylon woman who keeps banging that Dr Bashir-wannabe guy, great rack character.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

http://astele.co.uk/trek/

So just found a repertoire of dodgy Star Trek fanfic on the web, with a huge host of Cardassian stories.

My favourite so far is "Just for tonight" featuring Quark and Ziyal getting it on: http://astele.co.uk/trek/stories/ariana/just.txt

obviously :nws:

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

thank you for this

youre very welcome, its got me through many lonely nights

fake edit: how long till someone makes stupid cardassian romance av now

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah it's like everything interesting about Voyager condensed into 3 seasons' worth of great sci-fi (plus one season's worth of mediocre-to-bad sci-fi).

Gaeta is the Ensign Kim we should have gotten, and Admiral Cain is the Captain Janeway that Kate Mulgrew should have gotten to play.

You know I never thought of it that way, but that's actually a really good point. Totally agree about Gaeta, he did a full on mutiny when he broke down and realised he's wasted his life in space-Barbie academy, whereas Kim just went out on the lash with the Varro and got an STI.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

The General posted:

You'd have to be the bravest fucker alive to fly a fighter in star trek. While they look cool on screen, and had some uses in Starfleet Battles, fighters don't fit into Trek too well.

I was always surprised the Federation never really utilised combat drones of some variety.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Mr. Pumroy posted:

whenever they develop drones they always attain sentience.

Well that's their fault for a being a 90s sci-fi series, they had no other good ideas.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

In the Typhon Pact novels Nanietta Bacco (fed president) is given the options of using Federation Security or Starfleet Intelligence to infiltrate the Breen - she chooses Starfleet saying that "the military is better equipped to pull this one off", so there

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Those officially non-canon novels you mean?

Officially non-canon? Compared to what? Isn't everything non-canon after Enterprise other than the JJTrek movies? Paramount have even gone on record saying that other than the two Jeri Taylor novels, all books and whatever are non-canon. Bearing in mind most, if not all licensed Star Trek authors works their books round the same story/timeline/universe (Typhon Pact, Destiny, Full Circle novels, the entire SCE series et al all work in the same way referencing each other, and that's tens if not hundreds of books), I figure that's the closest thing we have to a canon continuation, unless you wanna consider Star Trek Online's lovely writing canon.

Besides, I doubt CBS/Paramount is ever gonna do anything with any of the series characters again, so if all these authors have managed to keep the characters going in more or less the same storyline... they've all fleshed out the Romulan War, the post Dominion War era, etc, that the show never went into or probably has any intentions to go into, so...

e: I did forget briefly about that new show Michael Dorn was meant to be working on - when's that gonna be set? Because if that goes completely against the major book's storylines it could be quite comical to see authors getting angry that their work is wasted.

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 8, 2016

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

"Tuition in the Klingon university system underwent a hike during the Dominion War, which was frozen until 2401, at which point the Klingon High Council decided to lower the tuition by 300 darseks/year. (Star Trek: The Stoneship Files: "The Defector") "

Interesting.

Funny thing is, that's actually a better story than the stupid storyline Destiny came up with about eradicating the Borg and the whole Caeliar crap that's about as tenuous as a Final Destination movie.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Please tell me more about how what is essentially published fan fiction is canon and how much it means to you that no one challenges this.

I never said it was canon btw, just closest thing, source your quotes better

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

also holy gently caress Roddenberry did some massive drugs in his time, at least the internet says so so it must be true

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Tried watching B5 once but found the acting was as bad as a first-grade nativity play.

Still need to get round to watching Stargate.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

I always thought Battlestar had some half-decent acting as sci-fi goes - the guy who played Baltar was really drat good.

e: should probably specify, the Ronald D Moore remake of Galactica, not the original series that is shite

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 9, 2016

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Shab posted:

Did someone say "good acting in scifi"?

Oh, is that outrageous Okona? I don't think I could ever watch that all the way through.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Post your most 90sest scifi characters

Apparently in the 90s Nazi Salutes were ok as long as they were underwater.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

God drat, that Armin guy has probably spent 1/3 of his waking life in a make up chair. It's crazy to think he just sat down everyday for probably a couple hours of getting quarked for 7 years or so.

In that DS9 episode where they all dress up as Klingons and kill changeling-Martok, apparently Colm Meaney complained so much about being in prosthetics that Michael Dorn requested Colm never wore any again.

I wonder if Shimerman, Dorn and the like got paid more for having to go through all that?

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Kramjacks posted:

Did Worf ever win a fist-fight?

Wasn't him winning fist fights a major part of those episodes where they're in Dominion prison and Garak has daddy issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

wasnt that also some sort of prelude to sex or something?

everything in Klingon society is a prelude to sex because a) they couldn't show sex on air and b) sci-fi's target audience is sexually frustrated young males

• Locked thread