Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Maldoror posted:

whatever happened to this bullshit (the pics are like 12 years old or more now)

fascinating, captain. ive concluded with a high degree of certainty, over 99.5%, that this person is a pedophile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gul dukat did nothing wrong

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Ambrose Burnside posted:

romulans and vulcans are the same species and the vulcans are just in weird denial about things

i dont get why romulans have weird brows then

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

an actual society with ftl travel and 500 years more advanced would be so loving weird its just complete guessing at things we cant comprehend. people cant make predictions one year from now, much less 500. but heres my prediction

the truth is, as soon as we get fusion energy, defeat aging, and perfect an integrated virtual world interface to your brain then we are never leaving this gay rock and well decay in hedonism until a gamma ray burst hits or something. this happens to all societies and thats why there are no spacefaring aliens, they are all playing alien everquest or whatever the gently caress they want

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

and yea if if somehow people werent full of implants and directly interfaced w/ the ship you still wouldnt ever need more than a dozen people on the ship, everything can be automatic. star trek is not to be seriously thought about as anything other than a half-thought out backdrop to stories of ethics and character

the tech stuff is basically the craziest poo poo people could come up with 50s science fiction ideas

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yea if you like star trek and have not watched rick and morty please correct your loss

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

wheres the federation mech units. why isnt this starship troopers or warhammer 40k. fuckin BULLSHIT

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i always liked the humiliating, heavily padded outfits the romulan empire forced their people to wear

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

speaking of uniforms one of the biggest missed opportunities for voyager was the maquis rebels immediately wearing pressed and clean starfleet uniforms after a day on the ship

you even have someone like traitor tom paris who they just scooped up from a federation gulag, part of his character could have been a "gently caress you mom im wearing whatever i want"

i mean obv could have been done better than that but it would have been interesting. the maquis were an ideological, committed rebel group, its understandable that theyd team up once their ship blew up and they were thrown into the delta quadrant but being totes cool with tuvok being a traitor and getting along with the starfleet officers with little character conflict was boring as gently caress

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

like they had the possibility of a han solo-esque total dick character with tom paris who can shirk the captain and the rules because he actually is one of the best pilots in the federation and instead hes buddy friend to harry kim has a Wacky Holodeck 50s fantasy thing i mean what in the gently caress is wrong with rick berman

TEAYCHES fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 28, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea7bj5MsyAU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

:3:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Kitchner posted:

I think I'd have never even liked star trek if I had to sit through that before watching each episode.

yea i mean i thought enterprise was poo poo because of its intro song

not kidding tho im serious

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

imo the only way you could have both a realistic and dramatic scifi series now would be to basically copy dune and make it so its illegal to make AI and most people are religious fanatics and shields cause nuclear explosions so everyone still uses guns and melee weapons, but there could still be weird hosed up genetic engineering

thats an uncreative way of doing it, point is that youd have to have some kind of limits set in place that would prevent it from being the culture or whatever boring poo poo a post-singularity show would turn into

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

skasion posted:

Or just...make Dune

itd be hard to watch dune without the david lynch character designs and sets and stuff. i guess if they had the right people and the budget

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

id watch an enterprise g series in the alternative history started by the last star trek movies where vulcan and romulus are both blown up to hell and the implications of this

idk who could be captain in a new tng style series though im not hip enough on modern actors

there would definitely have to be a cardassian crewman tho i think theres a lot of traction there

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Delsaber posted:

I still want a new Trek series to be pretty much just Sealab 2021 using stock footage from The Animated Series.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

TEAYCHES posted:

gul dukat did nothing wrong

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

hey but were gonna get like 20 star wars movies

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Germstore posted:

except it was kirk, what a twist

he admitted he didnt remember the plot and i dont blame him

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Kitchner posted:

Well it's to do with the fact the at they encourage people to challenge orders if they feel they should.

If you think some dude was murdered and I say he wasn't because I was the one who secretly murdered him you should ignore me and do what's right.

Part of that is understanding if you're wrong you accept the consequences, so only do it if you're really really sure.

It actually makes sense.

pardon edward snowden

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJN08uqt70

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Kitchner posted:

Problem is Wesley Crusher went off to evolve to a higher plane of existence. What a poo poo story.

actually that was a soul eater and the whole thing was an elaborate ruse to devour his life essence

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i prefer jimmy the paint salesman

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i think star trek is unrealistic

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

OK I'm done running through Twin Peaks so I'm finally gonna watch DS9

I have a hard time believing it's gonna be better overall than TNG but I'm willing to give it a shot

just like tng it takes a few seasons for it to really pick up but its highest highs are really good tv, and imo it has fewer Truly loving Irredeemable episodes than any other star trek series

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have a bit of fondness for hilariously dumb/awkward/corny TNG episodes; the awful stuff is part of the charm for me

I mean some stuff is Irredeemably bad, but the show seems to oscillate between legitimately compelling and entertaining unintentional goofiness

DS9 seems like they've maybe kinda cut out some of that awkward, goofy fat but I could be wrong

I hope it's sorta similar bu different enough, ya know?

you will find a good amount of goofy poo poo in ds9. the 10th episode "move along home" is a good example of the kind of off-the-wall thing youd see in the sillier tng episodes

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Mondian posted:

Lol, TNG limped for 2 years before it got good, DS9 limped along for about 3, Voyager limped along for 7, and Enterprise was executed before it's pilot's opening theme even finished and then spent four years as a rotting corpse.

right, the point being that if they were to make a new series it would have to be good right out of the gate cause the model that worked in the 80s and 90s aint going to work no more

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nnnotime posted:

EDIT: Maybe Ron Moore (of Battlestar Galactica fame) had something do with the show's writing change after the first few seasons? I forgot he was involved with the Voyager series.

they wouldnt let ron moore get anywhere near voyager and he was highly critical of it. heres a great, extremely long interview about it, really great behind the scenes how the sausage is made kinda poo poo

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

i highly recommend copy pasting the text into something readable though

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Angela Christine posted:

I like the part where Sisko realizes he can't be both an objective Starfleet captain and the Emissary to/from the Prophets, so he resigns his commision and becomes a full time diplomat.

yeah part of that is sisko doesnt really happily go along with the whole emissary thing for awhile, hes reluctant and isnt gonna resign his commission over something hes not even sure he believes in (they are just wormhole aliens), and by the time he accepts his role the dominion war is starting and hes an experienced combat officer so :shrug:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yea seriously if you havent read that ron moore interview do so its utterly fascinating that hes so open about the inner workings of the production. dude doesnt get invited to rick berman's parties i can guarantee that

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

star trek grindhouse series produced by tarantino is something i can get behind

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

weird how voyager was actually the darkest of all the series

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i guess this really depends on your opinion of abortion

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Geoff Zahn posted:

I finished DS9 last week and I already miss it :(

for cardassia :(

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sisko punched Q because it was cool and good and this is a stupid argument

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

It should have been a suicide run of tens of thousands of those solar sail ships streaming up from the planet on lovely rockets and flapping open to speed up and penetrate their shields with olde-worlde non-tech that the dominion never considered needing to be able to scan. Explosions of fertilizer bombs with wood and brass fittings shooting everywhere and loving up the works. Bayjies blowing themselves up by the score. Their gods doing nothing to help them but quietly watch. Then later with the massive losses to the industrial and agricultural labour base you'd have a reason to keep continual famines.

But that would have actually made sense and been cool, so no. Make the chatty gods do it.

tens of thousands? more like millions of heroic palestinian suicide bombers uh i mean bajorans

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

cellular peptide cookies

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

lets please keep aatrek out of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Trickjaw posted:

No one is going to beat Shatner drowning his drunk wife, and getting away with it.

• Locked thread