Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

brooks seems like a hella cool guy but also how is he a real person. i mean

I don't know, his whole persona seemed super affected in The Captains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Star Trek: Attack of the Bones

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I came to appreciate Jadzia's character after seeing DS9 a couple times and I realized whatever problems I had with the character were almost 100% Farrell's acting and the rest is the writing. It's like the writers couldn't decide if Jadzia was

1) a free spirited, try-anything-once kinda woman whose wilder tendencies were curbed by the experience and wisdom the symbiote provided her , or
2) a perfectionist stickler whose past hosts allowed her to break free of her shell and realize that life has to be seized by the balls.

Farrell could pull off neither.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Imagining all of Enterprise as Barclay's personally crafted historical fan fiction makes it all so much better. Thank you, everyone.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Yeah and I insisted that all doctors and councillors needed to wear those mini skirt things but that didn't happen did it?

And yes, that means male doctors and councillors too.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I see the anguish of a man whose work just got made to look like poo poo by forces outside his control and is doing his damnedest to be graceful about it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Naxuz posted:

I started watching DS9 again after finishing it a couple of years ago and I have a hard time not shouting out JAMBALAYA every time Avery Brooks does one of his insane happy/worried faces and/or raises his voice.

"Go above my head one more time and I will JAMBALAYA on a platter"

I do this too but my callback word is ALAMARAIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IMBUa7w9K4

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
It's like the Federation invents technology and doesn't bother to think of actual applications for decades or centuries after the fact.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
One thing that Star Trek '09 got legitimately right over other Treks: Chekov on the comm explaining the situation to the entire crew on their way to Vulcan.

If you're living with your family on the Enterprise in TNG, you might as well be living in London during the blitz.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Duck and cover was basically to keep you from running to the window and getting shredded when the blast wave hits the glass. It would probably be similarly useful in Star Trek because it would keep the kids away from those loving exploding computers.

Or away from windows which aren't even windows at all but forcefields as shown in First Contact. What happens when the ship is reduced to nothing but life support?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Did someone say "good acting in scifi"?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Holy crap. This movie has been in my head since I saw it when I was like 10 years old and never knew what it was called.

Content: If Robot Jox makes it, so does Arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Arena should be on a RLM Best of the Worst.

It also has C3PDukat:

Don't forget Armin Shimerman as Weezil

• Locked thread