Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
We all have plenty of animes we think about watching but never get around to. This thread will solve that problem by taking the choice out of your hands.

1: Post a list of five or more animes you haven't seen
2: The next poster selects an anime from that list for you to watch, and posts their own list
3: You must watch at least five episodes* of the selected anime within a reasonable amount of time, and post your thoughts and opinions on the anime in this thread. Include whether or not you will continue watching the anime.
4: Once you have completed step 3, you may select an anime for another poster and post a new list of your own

Just to be clear, if you tell another poster what anime to watch, you must also post a anime list of your own.

edit: There was some recent confusion. To be clear, you can only tell one person what to watch at a time. If you want to tell a second person, you must finish your ordered anime first. Also, please do not post a list without telling the previous person what to watch, we wanna get a chain going here

edit: If you are unable to watch the series that was chosen for you in a reasonable time frame, like your internet access is limited and you can't torrent stuff, or your parents are staying over and you can't watch a titty anime on the big TV, you gotta get the the person who selected it for you to choose a new anime that you can watch. Gotta keep the chain intact

*Exceptions: You only need to watch three episodes of OVAs that have 45 minute+ long episodes, like Katanagatari, Giant Robo, Gundam Unicorn, etc. and movies. You have to watch the whole movie.

Here's my list, have at it!

Yozakura Quartet
Cross Ange
Giant Robo
Flag
Ai Tenchi Muyo

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I command Boom Boom Boom to watch...Giant Robo.

Now for my list.
  1. Revolutionary Girl Utena (39 episodes)
  2. From the New World / Shinsekai Yori (25 episodes)
  3. My Little Monster / Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (13 episodes)
  4. Doomed Megalopolis (4 episodes)
  5. Waiting in the Summer / Ano Natsu de Matteru (12 episodes)
NOTE: Since Doomed Megalopolis is only four episodes but each of them is like an hour long, I will only watch two episodes instead of five if it is selected.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Dear Bad Seafood

Please watch Ano Natsu de Matteru

Here is my list of stuff I have not yet seen!

1) Sword Art Online
2) Nisekoi
3) My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
4) Kill la Kill
5) Chaika the Coffin Princess

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

arisu, you should watch Chaika

1. Lovely Complex
2. The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
3. Godannar
4. Hellsing (is Ultimate the one people recommend?)
5. Le Chevalier d'Eon

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
I was going to say SNAFU!
Right then. dogsicle, I'd say Le Chavalier d'Eon

Here's the list:

1. Azumanga Daioh
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Kaiba
4. IGPX
5. Kino's Journey

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybeflan posted:

I was going to say SNAFU!

i considered putting it on my list...ah well, maybe the next one :cheeky:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Maybeflan, you should watch Kino's Journey.

1. Toward the Terra
2. Infinite Ryvius
3. Hell Girl
4. Aquarion Evol
5. Time of Eve

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay wait gonna edit this here

Pootybutt posted:

Maybeflan, you should watch Kino's Journey.

1. Toward the Terra
2. Infinite Ryvius
3. Hell Girl
4. Aquarion Evol
5. Time of Eve

time of eve. one of the best animes

1. kemonozume
2. ouran host thing
3. kaiba
4. denpa onna
5. haibane renmei

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
PotU if you liked Time of Eve, which heavily riffs off Asimov, then you should watch Kaiba, which somehow manages to riff off modern singulatarian science fiction.

Here is a list of things I've downloaded and not yet touched:

1) Kaichou wa Maid-sama
2) Hourou Musuko
3) Noein
4) Turn-A Gundam
5) The Idolm@ster

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phobophilia posted:

PotU if you liked Time of Eve, which heavily riffs off Asimov, then you should watch Kaiba, which somehow manages to riff off modern singulatarian science fiction.

Here is a list of things I've downloaded and not yet touched:

1) Kaichou wa Maid-sama
2) Hourou Musuko
3) Noein
4) Turn-A Gundam
5) The Idolm@ster

You should watch Noein so I'm not the only person to have seen it.

Here's a random list of stuff I've been thinking about :

1. Maison Ikkoku
2. Clannad
3. Birdy the Mighty (2000's TV series version)
4. Xabungle
5. Combattler V

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

You should watch Noein so I'm not the only person to have seen it.

Here's a random list of stuff I've been thinking about :

1. Maison Ikkoku
2. Clannad
3. Birdy the Mighty (2000's TV series version)
4. Xabungle
5. Combattler V

You should watch Birdy the Mighty because the name is rad, and that's the only one I recognize besides Clannad.

I prefer binging through stuff instead of keeping up with it as it comes out, so this is pretty cool. Stuff I missed out on

1) Kyousougiga
2) My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
3) Gargantia
4) Durarara
5) Rage of Bahamut

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should watch Kyousougiga

1. His and Her Circumstances
2. Detroit Metal City
3. Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
4. The Wire
5. Lucky Star

rvm
May 6, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Everyone should watch Kyousougiga

1. His and Her Circumstances
2. Detroit Metal City
3. Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
4. The Wire
5. Lucky Star

Detroit Metal City.

1. Boogiebop Phantom.
2. Paranoia Agent.
3. Daily Life of High School Boys.
4. Death Note.
5. Parasyte.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

rvm posted:

Detroit Metal City.

1. Boogiebop Phantom.
2. Paranoia Agent.
3. Daily Life of High School Boys.
4. Death Note.
5. Parasyte.

Paranoia Agent is great, so watch that.

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Katanagatari
3. Mononoke
4. Bubblegum Crisis
5. RahXephon

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Chaika - The Coffin Princess - First 5 episodes

I'm enjoying this show so far. The action is smooth, and doesn't take too much time. I like the chemistry in all the groups so far, and I like that they frequently cut to the pursuer's group to show what those guys are up to and how they normally interact.

I don't know if we're supposed to spoiler tag this thread or not but I'll use them just in case.

I just got to the part where they met with the second Chaika, and things are getting interesting.

I will probably continue watching this show, but at a slower pace. I do like what I see though. Thanks, dogsicle!

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Parallax posted:

Paranoia Agent is great, so watch that.

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Katanagatari
3. Mononoke
4. Bubblegum Crisis
5. RahXephon

Katanagatari.

My list:
1. Baccano
2. Knights of Sidonia
3. The Tatami Galaxy
4. Parasyte
5. The Devil is a Part Timer

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

arisu posted:

Chaika - The Coffin Princess - First 5 episodes

I'm enjoying this show so far. The action is smooth, and doesn't take too much time. I like the chemistry in all the groups so far, and I like that they frequently cut to the pursuer's group to show what those guys are up to and how they normally interact.

I don't know if we're supposed to spoiler tag this thread or not but I'll use them just in case.

I just got to the part where they met with the second Chaika, and things are getting interesting.

I will probably continue watching this show, but at a slower pace. I do like what I see though. Thanks, dogsicle!

Welp I said I was slowing down but by the end of the day I finished season 1.

Good shows are good. Sundays without anything to do are also good.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

arisu posted:

Welp I said I was slowing down but by the end of the day I finished season 1.

Good shows are good. Sundays without anything to do are also good.

I'll add this to my backlog on your recommendation.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Alright, watched the first episode of Paranoia Agent and all I can say for now is that the OP is probably the most disturbing 2 minutes of animation I've seen.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chickenfrogman posted:

Katanagatari.

My list:
1. Baccano
2. Knights of Sidonia
3. The Tatami Galaxy
4. Parasyte
5. The Devil is a Part Timer

You should be watching Baccano!. And watch it dubbed if you can.

My list:
1. Katanagatari
2. Turn-A Gundam
3. Shiki
4. K-On!
5. Hajime no Ippo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

k-on

1. kyousogiga
2. durarara
3. tatami galaxy
4. ouran host club
5. my wife is a mermaid

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Detroit Metal City is legit distressing but holy poo poo the comic timing is perfect, and I love the style. I'm not actually laughing at it but it's really really good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

arisu posted:

Dear Bad Seafood

Please watch Ano Natsu de Matteru
Gonna be writing down my thoughts episode by episode.

Episode 1

This seems like a charming show but I can't shake the feeling there's gonna be some sad twist, like the protagonist is going to end up dying and the film he makes will be the piece of himself he leaves behind, or something.

I really like these pastoral, Japanese small town settings. They make for a nice contrast with stuff set in Tokyo and other big cities where everything is cramped and dense and clustered together and totally man-made.

Episode 2

I love huge, old houses like these. Please put more of these in anime, thanks.

Also I am pretty sure this one girl has connections with the mob.

Dynamite!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ano Natsu had alot of good bits but its a show that comes together to less than the sum of its parts.

Especially the ending. Come the gently caress on, we didn't need that as the ending.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
Davincie, you should watch The Tatami Galaxy.

1. And Yet the Town Moves
2. Ergo Proxy
3. Blast of Tempest
4. Moribito
5. Full Metal Panic: TSR (haven't seen the first season, have seen Fumoffu)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that I'm making someone watch Kyousougiga, but I'm sad that I can't make someone watch And Yet the Town Moves.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm glad that I'm making someone watch Kyousougiga, but I'm sad that I can't make someone watch And Yet the Town Moves.

soremachi comes from the heart, not some list

i watched one ep if kaiba and boy i hope i get used to the art

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

episode 5 of Kaiba looks the coolest, i think. but i'm a huge fan of the art in general

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

Ano Natsu had alot of good bits but its a show that comes together to less than the sum of its parts.

Especially the ending. Come the gently caress on, we didn't need that as the ending.

While I agree the ending was pretty bullshit, I will always have a special place in my heart for Ano Natsu. I loved it far more than most people did though. The story was pretty poorly written but the characters were so great.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Delicious sandwich posted:

Davincie, you should watch The Tatami Galaxy.

1. And Yet the Town Moves
2. Ergo Proxy
3. Blast of Tempest
4. Moribito
5. Full Metal Panic: TSR (haven't seen the first season, have seen Fumoffu)

And Yet the Town Moves because I also need to watch that one.

1. Daily Lives of High School Boys
2. Fate/Zero
3. Escaflowne
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AnoHito posted:

And Yet the Town Moves because I also need to watch that one.

1. Daily Lives of High School Boys
2. Fate/Zero
3. Escaflowne
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka

Watch Escaflowne! It's weirdly paced and Hitomi starts off as a horrible cliché shoujo romance protagonist, but the mecha design and fight scenes and setting/premise are cool, it has a great soundtrack (Yoko Kanno!!!) and it was hugely popular in Europe.

My list:

1. Dennou Coil
2. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Real Dive
4. Terror in Resonance
5. Hyouka

You already got an answer, but everyone should watch Moribito anyway because it's one of the best anime ever made.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Watch Escaflowne! It's weirdly paced and Hitomi starts off as a horrible cliché shoujo romance protagonist, but the mecha design and fight scenes and setting/premise are cool, it has a great soundtrack (Yoko Kanno!!!) and it was hugely popular in Europe.

My list:

1. Dennou Coil
2. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Real Dive
4. Terror in Resonance
5. Hyouka

I'm torn a bit on this, but I have to make you watch Hyouka. Enjoy!

My list of things that I still need to watch. I can never decide, so this thread is perfect.

1. Gatchaman CROWDS
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Mushishi
4. Shokugeki no Souma
5. Baccano!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'd be interested in your reasoning!

Also, I've started watching the first episode and holy poo poo, this is pretty. I'd seen some gifs and been told it's very well animated, but you kind of have to see the actual show to realise just how well. :stare:

I hope it doesn't take Bored Kid and Purple Eyes 21 episodes to realise they love each other, though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'd be interested in your reasoning!

Also, I've started watching the first episode and holy poo poo, this is pretty. I'd seen some gifs and been told it's very well animated, but you kind of have to see the actual show to realise just how well. :stare:

I hope it doesn't take Bored Kid and Purple Eyes 21 episodes to realise they love each other, though.

First of all it's gorgeous, as you've realized. The soundtrack is wonderful as well. Besides that, I'm a sucker for mystery genre stuff and that's really what the series is all about!

Please don't expect it to become a romance, because while that theme subtly underlies the whole thing, it's not what makes the series good IMO. I just really enjoyed the detective-ing, the character development, and the way that the composition of every scene sets the mood better than most movies.

The reason I was torn on it is that Lain and Dennou Coil are also series that I love, so watch those when you get a chance!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mentat Radnor posted:

My list of things that I still need to watch. I can never decide, so this thread is perfect.

1. Gatchaman CROWDS
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Mushishi
4. Shokugeki no Souma
5. Baccano!

This is a good list but I'd say Baccano! is the way to go.

1. Bakemonogatari
2. Mushishi
3. Golgo 13
4. Durarara
5. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
6. Time of Eve
7. Xabungle but only because I saw this on somebody's list and it has a funny name
8. Tesagure

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

In Training posted:

Cool, thanks! I should be able to watch a bunch today, and I'll post my impressions after.

Mr Tumbles
Jan 14, 2013
You're Under Arrest
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Serial Experiments Lain
Sword Art Online
Fist of the North Star

I haven't seen Serial Experiments Lain in probably ten years and am due for a rewatch, similar for FOTNS. The rest is all poo poo I actually have, but for some reason have just...never got around to watching. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Real talk though, FOTNS is an all-time great. Always has been, and given the subject matter, always will be. Its ultimately a story about power and strength, but not just physical; mental, emotional, and spiritual strength. There's love, loss, and dude's heads exploding. It's dives into masculinity, morality and its statements about what it means to live righteously will always be relevant. Anyone whose ever seen the entire 150+ episode saga will know exactly what I'm talking about. In the same way that studying plato and socrates is important in a classical education, I feel that all people, particularly men and those seeking to understand manliness, should give it a red hot go.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Mr Tumbles posted:

You're Under Arrest
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Serial Experiments Lain
Sword Art Online
Fist of the North Star

I haven't seen Serial Experiments Lain in probably ten years and am due for a rewatch, similar for FOTNS. The rest is all poo poo I actually have, but for some reason have just...never got around to watching. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Real talk though, FOTNS is an all-time great. Always has been, and given the subject matter, always will be. Its ultimately a story about power and strength, but not just physical; mental, emotional, and spiritual strength. There's love, loss, and dude's heads exploding. It's dives into masculinity, morality and its statements about what it means to live righteously will always be relevant. Anyone whose ever seen the entire 150+ episode saga will know exactly what I'm talking about. In the same way that studying plato and socrates is important in a classical education, I feel that all people, particularly men and those seeking to understand manliness, should give it a red hot go.

Watch legend of galactic heroes

1. Tatami Galaxy
2. Cowboy bebop
3. Mushishi
4. Time of Eve
5. The girl who leapt through time

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

In Training posted:

1. Bakemonogatari
2. Mushishi
3. Golgo 13
4. Durarara
5. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
6. Time of Eve
7. Xabungle but only because I saw this on somebody's list and it has a funny name
8. Tesagure

Interesting list but Time of Eve is the clear winner here.

Quincytbb posted:

Watch legend of galactic heroes

1. Tatami Galaxy
2. Cowboy bebop
3. Mushishi
4. Time of Eve
5. The girl who leapt through time

Now, I love all of these anime but Cowboy Bebop is just so drat good that it is what you should watch.

1. Kaiba
2. Paprika
3. Baccano!
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Furious Lobster posted:

Interesting list but Time of Eve is the clear winner here.

Now, I love all of these anime but Cowboy Bebop is just so drat good that it is what you should watch.

1. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
2. Kaiba
3. Paprika
4. Baccano!
5. Castle in the Sky

You can only tell one person what to watch.

• Locked thread