Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

You can only tell one person what to watch.

Owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

boom boom boom posted:

You can only tell one person what to watch.

The first poster looks like he was skipped so I thought I'd hit two birds with one stone - also, didn't see anything against it in the op.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Furious Lobster posted:

The first poster looks like he was skipped

Story of my life.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Furious Lobster posted:

The first poster looks like he was skipped so I thought I'd hit two birds with one stone - also, didn't see anything against it in the op.

The OP has been edited. I didn't see that Mr. Tumbles messed up the chain by posting his list without telling In Training what to watch. This thing didn't finish one page before falling apart

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

not bad for a goon project really

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So Furious Lobster, you must choose: is it more important to you that I watch Time of Eve or that other guy watches Cowboy Bebop.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

In Training posted:

So Furious Lobster, you must choose: is it more important to you that I watch Time of Eve or that other guy watches Cowboy Bebop.

A difficult question indeed but I feel bad for your being skipped so go watch a really good anime; I hope someone will also pick Cowboy Bebop for that other guy but his list is all around good so it won't matter too much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Very well.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
taking this anime list watching thread really serious here!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've only watched the first episode of Birdy the Mighty so far because I've been busy working and sleeping but it was really good! It looks pretty cool and the action scenes are very well done, just as I'd heard, the animation style reminds me a lot of Yozakura Quartet. I had actually thought I'd watched at least the first episode before, but I must have been thinking of the old 90's OAV instead.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hyouka episode 3 update: where did KyoAni even find the budget to make this? Also, I love the character dynamics and the show is genuinely funny (Satoshi constantly dicking over Houtarou and Houtarou always failing to get out of doing stuff). Just about the only character who isn't interesting so far is Satoshi's wannabe girlfriend, who just doesn't do anything except be irritating.

e; vv yeah, but Satoshi does that constantly except he's funny about it. Mayaka just acts pissed off at Houtarou for an as-of-yet-unexplained reason (which I presume will pop up later, but for now it's just annoying).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 25, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She gives Oreki a ton of grief and that is hilarious.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
3 year old Hyouka is still the best looking Kyoani show.

Impressive because all Kyoani shows are probably better looking than most other studios.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why would people put LoGH on their lists

e: i have my show but can't watch any until i get home. ho-hum

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; vv yeah, but Satoshi does that constantly except he's funny about it. Mayaka just acts pissed off at Houtarou for an as-of-yet-unexplained reason (which I presume will pop up later, but for now it's just annoying).

Gotcha. I'm like 6 episodes into a rewatch and since I'm already familiar with the characters she probably comes across differently to me.

And yeah, the show is absurdly well animated and directed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
OK, now we have a situation where both Furious Lobster and Quincytbb need to be told what to watch, so this could end up creating two chains, which is just gonna be confusing as hell. So F. Lobster's order to Quincy stands, he's gotta watch Cowboy Bebop. Next person tells Furious Lobster what to watch. The OP has been updated with rules to prevent this from happening in the future, everything should work out OK from here on

Hopefull this will be the only bump in an otherwise excellent system

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hyouka episode 3 update: where did KyoAni even find the budget to make this?
K-On! made so much money that KyoAni managed to break out of the usual studio role as the production committee's bitch, giving them more control over what they work on and a greater share of the profits. AFAIK this was a series that someone in KyoAni had wanted to do for a long time (little-known 10-year-old works aren't the usual fare for adaptations) so they took that pile of money and animated from the heart rather than chasing Akiba ducats.

I wish they'd varied the soundtrack a little more though, some of the songs get a bit overused.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I watched Baccano! episode 1 first subbed and then dubbed. I'll be watching the rest dubbed because they did a kickass job, right down to the NYC accents.

My general impression so far is that this show is loving awesome, and I'm gonna binge as much of it as I can today in between real-life obligations.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hyouka episode 3 update: where did KyoAni even find the budget to make this? Also, I love the character dynamics and the show is genuinely funny

I think K-ON! made more stacks of cash than KyoAni knew what to do with, and as a result Hyouka and Nichijou both had amazingly high production value. Glad you're enjoying it!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Isn't it somewhat of a misconception that Kyoto Ani is super rich, and the actual animation quality comes from having far better business practices than other studios? Because I think I read that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My understanding is that they pay their animators a livable wage and treat them well. So their shows look much better.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

K-On! made so much money that KyoAni managed to break out of the usual studio role as the production committee's bitch

Mentat Radnor posted:

I think K-ON! made more stacks of cash than KyoAni knew what to do with

I'm really glad to hear that, because I loved K-On! and Hyouka is shaping up to be great. Also, it was neat seeing the stylistic similarities between the K-On! film and Hyouka.

e; oh poo poo, and of course, they did Hibike! Euphonium, which means their run of having amazing animation quality continues. :swoon:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The first episode Giant Robo, in the first like, five minutes had my two favorite things to see in really nice animation; complicated sci-fi displays, and machines getting smashed into pieces instead of just turning into explosions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Furious Lobster posted:

1. Kaiba
2. Paprika
3. Baccano!
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Yuasa owns a lot, so go forth and watch Kaiba.

I am indecisive about which Lupin tv special to watch next, so here are the ones I haven't seen, going from oldest to newest

1. From Russia with Love / Bank of Liberty
2. Burn, Zantetsuken! / Dragon of Doom
3. The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure
4. The Secret of Twilight Gemini
5. Memories of the Flame: Tokyo Crisis / Crisis in Tokyo
6. Alcatraz Connection
7. Sweet Lost Night ~Magic Lamp's Nightmare Premonition~

The quality of the tv special will reflect the quality of you, the decider, as a person. So choose carefully.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Time of Eve is captivating so far. Only seen two eps so far, but really digging the plotting. Characters reveal so much about the world around them, how humans and androids interact, the social stigmas a future like this would have and so, all through how they react to things, or how much they try to hide that reaction. Really wonderful storytelling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

Time of Eve is captivating so far. Only seen two eps so far, but really digging the plotting. Characters reveal so much about the world around them, how humans and androids interact, the social stigmas a future like this would have and so, all through how they react to things, or how much they try to hide that reaction. Really wonderful storytelling.

Agreed, I just started Episode 2 but the first episode was excellent. I think the only slight I have against it is the aggressive faux handheld camerawork. A little excessive and off putting. But maybe they do something interesting with it in later episodes!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also the animation of the main guy's friend is extremely good. His body language is really really good, reminds me a lot of a Satoshi Kon character.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Just finished episode 3 of Kyousougiga and the Science duo is very good. I don't think I've encountered a character I dislike so far, this is just a fun show.

It also makes me wish I knew how to make gifs. There's some real cool stuff in there that I like to go back and watch over just to make sure I appreciate it fully.

Erg fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 26, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

Yuasa owns a lot, so go forth and watch Kaiba.

I am indecisive about which Lupin tv special to watch next, so here are the ones I haven't seen, going from oldest to newest

1. From Russia with Love / Bank of Liberty
2. Burn, Zantetsuken! / Dragon of Doom
3. The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure
4. The Secret of Twilight Gemini
5. Memories of the Flame: Tokyo Crisis / Crisis in Tokyo
6. Alcatraz Connection
7. Sweet Lost Night ~Magic Lamp's Nightmare Premonition~

The quality of the tv special will reflect the quality of you, the decider, as a person. So choose carefully.

I say number seven, that sounds like it could be fun.

Anyway, for me:

1. G Gundam
2. Tetsujin 28-go
3. Katanagatari
4. That show that people have to post the order of constantly in the chat thread
5. Tank Police + New Dominion Tank Police
6. Tiger and Bunny
7. Spice and Wolf

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tiger and Bunny is so good, watch it!

1. Mushishi
2. Death Billiards/Death Parade (Billiards would count as an episode of the 5)
3. Gatchaman Crowds
4. Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun
5. Space Brothers

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

that'll work. i assume the dub is pretty decent? and it streaming anywhere nowadays?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

im at a dorm so i have to do everything legally now. smdh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've only seen a bit of the dub, but it's okay. It's on Hulu, and I was surprised to see the entire dub is there!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the dub is pretty decent. fire emblem owns.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Tiger and Bunny is so good, watch it!

1. Mushishi
2. Death Billiards/Death Parade (Billiards would count as an episode of the 5)
3. Gatchaman Crowds
4. Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun
5. Space Brothers

gatcha

1. Utena
2. A Woman Called Fujiko Mine
3. Bakemonogatari
4. Kara no Kyoukai
5. Mononoke

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

gatcha

1. Utena
2. A Woman Called Fujiko Mine
3. Bakemonogatari
4. Kara no Kyoukai
5. Mononoke

I sentence you to A Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

Samurai Champloo
Spice and Wolf
Space Dandy
The Devil is a Part Timer
Katanagatari
Mononoke
Shirobako

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

Agreed, I just started Episode 2 but the first episode was excellent. I think the only slight I have against it is the aggressive faux handheld camerawork. A little excessive and off putting. But maybe they do something interesting with it in later episodes!

Returning to this, the choice of handheld style shooting makes a lot more sense in later episodes because they utilize the freedom of motion a lot better. In the first episode it was a lot of unnecessary shakycam, but in the 2nd and 3rd episodes, which take place 90% in the cafe, it really opens up the space in a neat way. It seems like such a small cafe in the early establishing shots but they start flying around and doing 360s, showing off all the nooks and crannies. Its cool.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

I sentence you to A Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

Samurai Champloo
Spice and Wolf
Space Dandy
The Devil is a Part Timer
Katanagatari
Mononoke
Shirobako

Watch the show I have not finished, Samurai Champloo.

Nichijou
Barakamon
Kyousougiga
Ping Pong
Yu Yu Hakusho

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Escaflowne has been pretty great so far. I'm five episodes in right now and I'm really liking the setting a lot. the pacing was a bit screwed up for the first episode or so, but now it's working pretty well.

The only real problem I have with it so far is the main character.
She seems bland at best and an outright hindrance to an otherwise great story at best. A lot of the scenes she's important in it seems like they're just making an excuse for her to be useful in some way in a plot she otherwise has no place in.

All in all, though, I'm definitely enjoying it and will almost certainly finish it.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Watch the show I have not finished, Samurai Champloo.

Nichijou
Barakamon
Kyousougiga
Ping Pong
Yu Yu Hakusho

please watch ping pong the animation

1. school rumble
2. non non biyori
3. your lie in april
4. time of eve
5. hyouka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i have watched the first 2 episodes of tatami galaxy.

let's start with the op and ed. both are fantastic, both musically and visually. then again, how can the ed not be fantastic when its done by etsuko yakushimaru? will be downloading the soundtrack.

on to the show. i've often heard that if you have experienced college life recently, or are experiencing it the show will connect with it. for me, this is not true. the whole club thing does not exist here, nor have i ever seriously considered what my life would be like had i made this random choice different in college. anyway, despite that the show is still good. i hope it goes somewhere with the whole metaplot, with the whole groundhog day-esque reliving of the same college life. i like that sort of stuff, its fun. the show is really well shot and pretty and has a nice visual style. also heard a lot of complaints about how the people speak too fast to follow??? the talking speed is fine, i guess i understand why people want dubs if they can't read this fast lol

• Locked thread