Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the very particular club structure is there to highlight the questioning that "maybe if I had done things differently x years ago I'd be happier". Which is not specific to college per se, just probably the first time a lot people probably begin to think about, once they've entered the work force and what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

oh no i get that, its obviously highlighted by the repeating part in the intro where he talks about the rose-coloured college life while showing the different clubs. its just that it does nothing for me, i've accepted my faults long ago

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

oh no i get that, its obviously highlighted by the repeating part in the intro where he talks about the rose-coloured college life while showing the different clubs. its just that it does nothing for me, i've accepted my faults long ago

Haha. That show hit me really hard when I first saw it, because I watched it the month after I finished college with a degree I didn't want and I was unemployed for the foreseeable future and just bumming around at home for the first time in half a decade :sweatdrop:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that's me right now but i got an interview tomorrow (also i wanted my degree even though its worthless)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good luck on the interview!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i got a bullshit degree and spent the past two years of my life working as a waiter so when i watched that show it was like a knife to the gut. its cool though. the talking definitely slows down after the first two episodes (or i got used to processing it faster) but the biggest problem is that the animation is also exquisite and its just a lot to process at once. it definitely gets better on a second watch through

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah definitely, knowing the overall beats and just focusing on the visuals and editing on a second watch is an excellent experience.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thank you, and good luck to us all

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dailydares posted:

please watch ping pong the animation

1. school rumble
2. non non biyori
3. your lie in april
4. time of eve
5. hyouka

I haven't seen any of these but Hyouka has lots of good gifs, so go for it.

1. Arion
2. Venus Wars
3. Macross: Do You Remember Love
4. Memories
5. Angel's Egg

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

GorfZaplen posted:

I haven't seen any of these but Hyouka has lots of good gifs, so go for it.

1. Arion
2. Venus Wars
3. Macross: Do You Remember Love
4. Memories
5. Angel's Egg

Memories was p good and non-traditional, go for it

1. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
2. Love Lab
3. I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying
4. Welcome to the NHK
5. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vivid

All of these are recommendations from skype and I did not filter them for trolling, so I am at your mercy, friends

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I finished all of Chaika today. Was season 2 cut short or something? It only had 10 episodes. It really could have used another one or two.

Otherwise, it was a good show. I might post another list later.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Outer Science posted:

2. Love Lab
4. Welcome to the NHK

All of these are recommendations from skype and I did not filter them for trolling, so I am at your mercy, friends

If somebody picks Horizon, the 5 episode rule in this thread would make you the first person to ever watch past the second episode

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

If somebody picks Horizon, the 5 episode rule in this thread would make you the first person to ever watch past the second episode

I should have put Cross Ange in my list

drat

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dunno if every episode will have enough things going on to deserve individual thoughts, but here goes.

Le Chevalier d'Eon, episode 1

Immediately noticed the great backgrounds, which are Impressionistic but in a subtle enough way that they don't overwhelm the scenes. It also means they mesh well with the very clean character design. The early parts of the episode had some narration that I really didn't like. It felt like they were trying to rush the story and relying on the older D'Eon's narration to fill gaps they had left for whatever reason.
Strangely, a good number of first-person shots showed up in this episode. Not really sure what to make of them but they are unique.
I really like the blend of period aesthetics and customs with the strong spiritualism and outlandish occult stuff (which absolutely explodes in the second half). Especially the twist that D'Eon gets possessed by, and transforms into, his dead sister to fight supernatural foes. The animation is quite good, though some odd camera choices kind of lessend The impact of otherwise amazing fight scenes. The subs I have also have historical notes at the end of each(?) episode, which is nice. It's funny to see how the real d'Eon's penchant for crossdressing probably inspired Ubukata to integrate that in a very strange way that fits the supernatural/spiritual aspects of the setting.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

arisu posted:

I finished all of Chaika today. Was season 2 cut short or something? It only had 10 episodes. It really could have used another one or two.

Otherwise, it was a good show. I might post another list later.

It was always scheduled for 10, no idea why really. I thought it could have used at least one more as well, and not just because I wasn't ready to say bye to the cast.

There is an ova out too, be sure to track that down.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

I should have put Cross Ange in my list

drat

Clearly, no one is that mean.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I am

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

i hope you're right, because Outer Science has Nanoha in their list

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

dogsicle posted:

i hope you're right, because Outer Science has Nanoha in their list

to be fair I liked A's and the first movie was decent

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Outer Science posted:

to be fair I liked A's and the first movie was decent

i've just heard it got creepier over time. haven't seen a single episode of the first season so idk

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I watched the first episode of Katanagatari and it was... fine? I'm going to hold off on judging most of it, but the direction was really disappointing. Most of the episode was back-and-forth conversations, and I can't think of a less interesting way to do than what they did. There's so many close-ups and pans, just really generic stuff. Hopefully later episodes are more dynamic and better justify the extended running time, because I like the premise and Shichika doesn't seem exactly like the typical naive protagonist he's set up to be

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
I'm a bit late on this, but I watched the first episode of Kino's Journey back on Sunday.

First impressions:

From the beginning, I was surprised by the talking machines and intrigued at the state of the world: an outdated map (within a month of purchase) due to some shifts in geography, and the need for weapons for possibly dangerous encounters.
Other facts that are also unsettling: the state of the country Kino enters. I'll skimp out on specific details, but luckily the country is not all but doomed due to a chance encounter and some setting details (for that particular country).
Another interesting tidbit is Kino's rules for traveling- never settling down and always being on the move with three days being the self-allotted amount of time. I'll have more coherent and organized thoughts after the full five episodes.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I just watched the first episode of Samurai Champloo and I think it's pretty cool. The first episode was great and it has a very good aesthetic and mood to it. The action was really great as well. I'm not sure how I feel about the characters so far because they seem a little bland but I've only seen the first episode so there is plenty of time for them to be fleshed out.

Thanks for recommending it Strange Quark.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Parallax posted:

I watched the first episode of Katanagatari and it was... fine? I'm going to hold off on judging most of it, but the direction was really disappointing. Most of the episode was back-and-forth conversations, and I can't think of a less interesting way to do than what they did. There's so many close-ups and pans, just really generic stuff. Hopefully later episodes are more dynamic and better justify the extended running time, because I like the premise and Shichika doesn't seem exactly like the typical naive protagonist he's set up to be

I assume you're not familiar with Nisio then, since that's his particular writing style to have very talkative characters and word-play. If you ever watch Bakemonogatari or Medaka Box, they'll have similar conventions. Stick with it though, Katana's pretty good. Also be sure to watch the previews.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

i've just heard it got creepier over time. haven't seen a single episode of the first season so idk

Nanoha generally got less creepy over time until like the last 20 minutes of the A's movie. :/

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Allarion posted:

I assume you're not familiar with Nisio then, since that's his particular writing style to have very talkative characters and word-play. If you ever watch Bakemonogatari or Medaka Box, they'll have similar conventions. Stick with it though, Katana's pretty good. Also be sure to watch the previews.

Nah, I know that it's based on something he wrote. I think the difference is that Bake- is a really great example of how to animate what is basically just two characters talking to one another, while the first episode of Katana- is a pretty poor one

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I didn't pay much attention to specific cuts and shots used in a lot of Katanagatari, but I'd say the subsequent episodes are an improvement over the first. mostly due to better action, but the characters and conversations also become more interesting

though that's all pretty irrelevant since this thread is about giving shows a 3-5 episode test anyway

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AnoHito posted:

the pacing was a bit screwed up for the first episode or so, but now it's working pretty well.

The only real problem I have with it so far is the main character.

I warned you! Hitomi gets a lot less bad later on once she starts owning the whole magic powers deal.

dogsicle posted:

Nanoha has a problem where it loves to do extended transformation scenes of 12 year olds and bath/shower scenes of 12 year olds and extended transformation scenes of 12 year olds who turn into adult women with giant boobs, all to pander to creepy adult men. If you skip all the transformation sequences and the bath scenes (which probably amounts to about 20 minutes of animation time total per season) it's fine, because those scenes are where all of the fanservice is concentrated. The anime doesn't really get creepier over time except that one of the central premises of the latest one (Vivid) is that two of the characters are 12 year olds who transform their bodies into adults with giant boobs to then do magical MMA (but it doesn't do anything creepy with this). Avoid the manga, though.

If anyone does decide to watch it (and this is not a pick since I'm not done with Hyouka), I'd recommend watching the two movies at least since the animation quality is nice and it's basically a mecha show that happens to involve magical girls and BEFRIENDING. The third season (StrikerS) happens after a ten year timeskip and features the protagonists having joined the spacepolice (it's the best part of the show but also the one furthest from the magical girl roots), and Vivid happens another three years after that and focuses on their daughter doing magical MMA because why not.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 26, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Outer Science posted:

2. Love Lab
4. Welcome to the NHK

Outer Science-kun, I recommend to you "I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying," an extremely good anime that takes approximately an hour and a half to finish.

1. Paranoia Agent
2. Hyouka
3. Bodacious Space Pirates
4. Serial Experiments Lain
5. Fate/Zero

Please assist me, posters of ADTRW. I don't have enough anime to watch.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kaiba was super awesome, slow, provocative, terrifying (especially in the earlier episodes) and tinged with beautiful melancholy throughout; I didn't mean to marathon the entire series but after giving it the first episodes test, I had to keep watching to see the end and make sure that all the hard-to-hate villains Popo, I'm looking at you got their comeuppance. Thanks for the recommendation, it is a very well made anime and I had a great time watching it.

alcharagia posted:

1. Paranoia Agent
2. Hyouka
3. Bodacious Space Pirates
4. Serial Experiments Lain
5. Fate/Zero

Please assist me, posters of ADTRW. I don't have enough anime to watch.

Go forth and watch Hyouka.

Looking for something that matches the quality of Kaiba from the following

1. Level E
2. Baccano!
3. Kino's Journey
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobash

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sadly I don't think any of those are as good as Kaiba. Good luck on your journey

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kaiba is not very fun!!!!

rvm
May 6, 2013
Paranoia Agent has been a solid show since the beginning, but episode 4 (especially its manga sequences) is what clinched it as absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to further misadventures of its characters.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Paranoia Agent drags a little after the mid-section, but by then you just want to see what absurd thing happens next. And lo it is glorious at the end.

The ending wants me to take my shoes off and stand on the edge of a bridge, laughing maniacally into the wind.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

alcharagia posted:

Outer Science-kun, I recommend to you "I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying," an extremely good anime that takes approximately an hour and a half to finish.

thank you for not making me watch horizon or vivid, i will report back later

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Outer Science posted:

thank you for not making me watch vivid

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 26, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the only good bit

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hyouka, episode 5: the show continues to be insanely pretty and the characters continue to be compelling, but I'm disappointed that Chitanda's mystery was solved so fast. I was hoping the show would secretly turn out to be about the Japanese left in the 1960s. :v:

In any case, I'm going to watch the rest of this over the next couple of weeks, even though I took a break from watching a couple of other shows (Dai-Guard and A Certain Scientific Railgun) to start this. Dai-Guard and Railgun were starting to feel kind of old and formulaic, whereas Hyouka feels fantastically-well-paced so far.

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the only good bit

I also enjoyed the bits where Einhart has no idea who Nanoha and the Riot Force 6 members are and asks dumb questions/finds out who she was trying to pick a fight with (or Vivio's mastery of understatement, with lines like "my mother is a civil servant"), but yeah. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 26, 2015

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I've finished my court-mandated five episodes of Baccano!, and it's fantastic! I'll certainly be watching the rest over the next few days. I went into the series pretty much blind. I didn't even know it was set in the states, much less that it was going to be in a fairly period-accurate Prohibition Era America. After the first episode, I couldn't get over the strangeness of listening to American characters speaking Japanese in 1930's America, so I did something crazy and tried out the dub. I was pleasantly surprised with the great English VA work and translation, so dubbed is how I'm watching this craziness.

The structure of not only jumping between characters but jumping between times really suits this kind of story. Very reminiscent of Pulp Fiction, or Snatch to a certain extent, though Baccano! does more of the timeline tomfoolery than either of those movies. I love that even by the end of the first episode, the viewer can understand, "I'm having a bunch of puzzle pieces thrown at me that will fit together and make sense eventually, so I just have to pay attention and enjoy." The opening scene with Carol and scary newpaper-magnate-dude lays it out pretty clearly for you now that I think about it. Having the OP contain the characters' names and a few blurbs of what happened in the last episode was a good decision and helped me to not get too confused.

Every episode has been a nice mix of drama, character introduction, comedy, and creepy supernatural poo poo, all of which help nudge the plot towards wherever it's going at a good pace. There's pretty much zero downtime, and I like that a lot. This series would have driven me nuts to watch as it aired, because every episode has a great cliffhanger at the end, especially episode 5 which I just watched. I thought that I had a handle on all of the supernatural stuff going on, but then the oldest dude in the world sucked the poor other old dude into his hand and HOLY poo poo the Rail Tracer is real and it's loving TERRIFYING :kingsley: :wtf:! Highly enjoying it, so thanks to In Training for the pick.

While I'm going to finish this series before I start another, I have now fulfilled the OP rules requirements and will strategically wait to use my next Watch Order until I see a list that I like.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hyouka, episode 5: the show continues to be insanely pretty and the characters continue to be compelling, but I'm disappointed that Chitanda's mystery was solved so fast. I was hoping the show would secretly turn out to be about the Japanese left in the 1960s. :v:

I felt the same way when that case was closed, but there are more awesome mysteries coming up including some good surprises. Episodes 6 and 7 are relatively boring, though they are still pretty and contain some interesting peeks into the characters' heads. The next solid mystery arc starts with episode 8, and it might be my favorite. KyoAni is so drat good at animating stuff to look like amateur video camera footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The culture festival arc in Hyouka is a thing of beauty. Also I don't know how or where you are watching Baccano, just know that there were some DVD-only extra episodes that exist that may or may not have been dubbed. Only ever watched the sub so I don't know if those were JP only specials.

• Locked thread