Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
GMAW/MIG is often used on thick metal (FCAW as well but its more limited to structural stuff). We are welding around 50 mm thick joints with GMAW that are phased array ultrasonic tested. People like SMAW/stick for low temp qualities and lower heat input. You get into stuff about the size of the rod or wire in relation to the puddle too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

charliemonster42 posted:

Would like to know more about this. Sounds much more useful than X-ray testing. We ran into some serious delays on a project due to the x-ray technicians not being diligent in their testing process and waiting until we'd welded both sides of the weld to take any shots. Then they found shadows and they might have been in one side or the other of the welds or it might have been in the fit up and there's just no way to tell so lets just take grinders to it and redo until they go away but now they're moving and there's new ones over here that weren't there before and we need to fix those, too.

Long story short, I'm not happy about that company and their procedures, but we didn't hire them and we got shafted because of it.

That sounds pretty iffy but we don't get anything shot or scanned until its done. Did they let your company look at the film?

What is the application? I.e. ASME vessels

The details of how phased array is done are online but the catch is it does see more on thicker sections than cobalt source radiography. This can make it more difficult to pass welds and makes things like ckeaning between passes all the more critical.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Keep in mind if you're using thoriated tungsten it is (maybe slightly I dont know actual levels) radioactive and you should use proper ppe...

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I can only see it as giving you more flexibility, but I don't do a lot of work related to that thin of metal. Can you adjust voltage separately or only heat?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Some info in this article: http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=969

Looks like you're correct on the 309 filler but you also need to preheat. If it's on a flange I would definitely be concerned with distortion.

What is the connection like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

the spyder posted:

Warping mainly. This sheetmetal easily warps and it's no fun having to fix a wavy panel because you ran too hot of a bead.

This, but mainly cost if you're selling what you're welding.

• Locked thread