Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Have you ever ran strait CO2 for your gas on MIG? I hear it will make a hotter process so you can do some deeper penetration with less amps. I plan to try it along with just running Tri-mix from airgas.

But I do want to see more about stick. How do you select the rod to go with the thickness of steel? I know stick is much better for doing heavy poo poo compared to mig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
For what is worth, there is a guy on youtube by the user name of Chuckee2009 - hes not the best welder in the world, but hes great for the hobbiest like a giant majority of us, he has lots of good reviews of the chinese machines plus the big name brand ones as well.

He can be amusing and also annoying, but he does have good insight.

Also Kevin Caron - another you tube guy - hes got some good stuff. His voice annoys me, but he does give good points as well.

I always feel welding is like politics. The basics are similar, but every one has their own opinion on how to do it.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 28, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How do you feel about the Chineseium palsma cutters?

I have seen quite a few of the CUT50 models and people actually said they aren't complete poo poo and for light poo poo (which it would mostly be anything 1/8th inch and under steel. I can use a grinder with a cutting wheel, but I think a plasma cutter would have more use for auto body poo poo.

I mean, Miller or Lincoln would be awesome, but that's also 12-1400 bucks for a machine, and I'd rather spend money else where.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm struggling with blowing holes in 22 gauge sheet metal. I have my heat on the lowest setting, .030 wire, 25/75 mix for gas with 30 on the flow. I move my gun pretty quick but I'm struggling still.

Should I move down to .023 wire?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It's on 1 which I assume it's the lowest setting for volts/heat.

FWIW - Hobart Auto Arc 130

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That would be super helpful. I'm getting better, but need to keep playing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I found a local shop to do my business, the air gas people weren't the most pleasant to deal with.

Also, check out the price between an 80cf bottle and a 150cf bottle. My 150cf bottle was 236 filled, vs 80 was around 220ish. The only advantage is portability, but if you make a cart, then there is no worry.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any tips for not blowing holes in really old sheet metal? God drat, today's rust cut out and replacement absolutely sucked balls.

Fwiw I'm using a Hobart auto arc 130. Gas is at 20cfm (75 argon, 25 co2) and I'm running .030 linweld 70-6 wire.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Miller, Hobart, Lincoln are the go to units. But it depends on what your doing too, miller seems to be a bit better in the mig department, but Lincoln seems to be the best stick machines. Hobart's are last years Miller's - just a slightly dated design at a much lower price tag with good components.

I'd say get in class and learn what process you want to do first before you sink a ton of money.

Edit: this is like a compressor, get the biggest you can afford and use. Skipping out to a low end machine is always going to make you wish you had more. If you don't have 220, get the best 110 machine you can afford, it will go a long way.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 11, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just saw your post, with 220v in the garage, save up and get a 220 machine. I have seen millermatics 250 amp machines go for 1000-1200 used. That should give you more than enough juice to do anything car related.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
GM has the best powertrain/value ratio out of any maker. LSx or the later vortec v8 motors are cheap and make good power for so little money.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Lets keep the engine chat out, more welding projects! I need to upload some of my latest repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Read and watch some you tube videos. There's a couple mentioned back in the beginning of the thread, chuckee2009, Mr tig, and others have lots of good info.

Didn't want to double post, so here's some rust repair.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 12, 2015

• Locked thread