Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

STR posted:

That was a drat good price man. Looks like you got it sold already if your marketplace post is accurate.

That'd be a $10k+ truck here.

Not a good enough price for some folk. I'm disappointed, but I got what I needed out of it: two summers of air conditioning and rent paid for a few months. My family has insisted that I get the AC repaired in the wagon though, and I'm inclined to agree. I'm 40 years old now. Vegas summers are brutal, and only getting worse. This past summer was particularly harsh because of unbelievably high (for this area) humidity. I don't think I would have been able to do it without AC. Getting old is a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I did my time in my yout in un-air-conditioned cars here in TX. I won't be doing it again if I can help it.
Both the Crown Vic and the Outback have great AC. My RX-7 will have at least functional AC. The AE86 has working AC if I could find the damned leak - but hopefully I'll sell it before I care too much (he says, having re-upped registration two more times than desired, and about to be a third...)

edit: AC in my '70 Cutlass works, too. Transmission doesn't, though.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The "fix" for mine is something I've talked about years ago. The LX9 has a different oil filter location than the original engine, and it interferes with the refrigerant lines. So I either need to have new lines made ($$$$) or relocate the filter (already have a kit) and bolt the stock lines on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I did my time in my yout in un-air-conditioned cars here in TX. I won't be doing it again if I can help it.

Same here in AZ. I'll only give cars like my Opel a pass because factory air was incredibly rare and sorta janky, and I don't have any problem just waiting for nicer weather to drive it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gotta have ac in Florida, if you're selling a car and the ac doesn't blow ice cold you're not gonna be able to sell it unless you knock a ton of money off the value.

A buddy of mine basically gave away his perfectly running Altima because the ac needed a ton of work and he didn't want to deal with it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same here in AZ. I'll only give cars like my Opel a pass because factory air was incredibly rare and sorta janky, and I don't have any problem just waiting for nicer weather to drive it.

The '79 RX-7 I'm rebuilding had factory AC. I've refitted that with an '84 system since the '79 port-installed system (all the RX-7s of the first two generations didn't come out of the factory with AC - they either had it installed at the port when they rolled off the boat, or at the dealer with a supplied kit. The HVAC system is sort of modular. The twist is that the port and dealer kits were not the same, so there are two different systems in terms of drier, hoses, and compressor) used flare fittings, meaning it leaked. '81+ used o-rings, and the evaporator box fits exactly the same (remember that modularity I mentioned earlier?) so it's an easy upgrade. The condenser turned out to be clogged up, discovered when I charged it and blew a hose on my gauges from the high-side pressures (at least I knew the compressor was good!), so I will be putting in a slightly larger parallel flow condenser to play nicer with modern refrigerants. The "factory" AC was marginal even with R-12. I want usable AC.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Both the Crown Vic and the Outback have great AC.

My Outback's AC was marginal, but I think the compressor was pretty beat down. That, or your H6 version got a beefier AC system. I could never get the high side pressures to where they should have been..

The Vic's AC is fantastic, even though fins are literally falling out of the condenser. I should do something about that..

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't know that the H6 is any different, other than being fully automatic. I think it was just well, maintained, having spent a number of years prior to my ownership in AZ.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Changed the water pump on the wagon the other day. I took pictures but honestly, we've all done a water pump. It appeared to be the original part for the engine. Recall the engine is from a 2005 Malibu that had, according to LKQ, about 110k miles. I have put around 63k VERY HARD miles on it since installing it. I am not mad that it failed. After ~175k miles, it owed me nothing. Past Daniel had some foresight and bought the part 6 years ago, so the most difficult aspect was spelunking through the garage to find it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Not mine, but I installed a head unit and reversing camera in a fullsize 2000 Chevy conversion van. It still had the factory cassette deck with separate CD unit.
Plus: full size van, so plenty of room for activities, and GM dash, so panels just pull off.
Minus: conversion van, so plenty of fuckery vis-a-vis interior panels, fabric, and GLUE while running the camera cabling. Assholes. loving carpenters is what they are. Goddamned plywood and drywall screws...

Worked great in the end.
Basic need was the reversing camera (because big booty van with curtains and poo poo, plus sometimes a cargo carrier back there) and Android Auto for nav on family trips. Work buddy who owned it is fine with mechanics and tools, but weak on auto electronics. He was able to help plenty with guidance. Still took most of the day with running the cabling and fabricating mounting for the camera. The license plate is low-ish on the right hand door, which was a non starter due to the potential of the cargo basket, so we basically screwed it to the third brake light lens above the doors. Worked fine, and there was a grommet right there for the brake light wiring. A little goop to prevent leaks, and done.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Non-update update. I've been meaning to write up a post about the 2000 mile road trip I took the wagon on during Thanksgiving, but the circumstances of the trip weren't fun. I'm having a hard time coming up with the right words. The car performed flawlessly, and averaged 24.7 mpg, including a high score of 30.9 on the final tank before arriving back home. I took plenty of pictures. I'll give it a shot this weekend, I think.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Left Ventricle posted:

Non-update update. I've been meaning to write up a post about the 2000 mile road trip I took the wagon on during Thanksgiving, but the circumstances of the trip weren't fun. I'm having a hard time coming up with the right words. The car performed flawlessly, and averaged 24.7 mpg, including a high score of 30.9 on the final tank before arriving back home. I took plenty of pictures. I'll give it a shot this weekend, I think.

Can't be bothered to write an effortpost so I'll do a bit of E/N and move on.

My dad died a few days before Thanksgiving at age 59 of multiple organ failure. He'd been a long time alcoholic and was homeless for ten years, and that catches up with you. The 2000 mile trip was from Vegas to the Bay Area and back to try to handle is final affairs. The day before he died, my wife decided she was done, and wanted to move out. I put her on a plane to her mom's place in Kansas on January 29th. So I haven't really been in the mood to write up a real post. I will give you guys probably the two best photos I have ever taken of this car though.

Near the Golden Gate Bridge:

And in the Sierra Nevada mountains at a spot called Peddler's Hill:

That aside, I'm planning to get what I hope will be a reliable daily driver so I can stop worrying about whether George is going to start in the morning, what's that noise this time, and so on. Found another '96 wagon on Marketplace IN THE SAME CITY I BOUGHT GEORGE IN. After basically interviewing the guy over the last couple says, I feel like it will be a good daily. Lots of preventive maintenance done recently, including the ever-vulnerable lower intake gaskets, silly custom interior stuff, and a front clip swap from an '85 Century.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Something about it screams Luxury even though we know it's one of the boys.

Sorry for your losses, that sucks my goon

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat talk about a one two punch, that sucks man, sorry for your loss.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's rough, sorry for your losses. :(

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is rough man… wry sorry

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Um, dang.
I hope things improve for you from here, fellow goon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
jfc what a donkey kick. Sorry for your loss and hope that things improve from here.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That sucks. Keep fighting the good fight, the new ride looks good.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I'm sorry you're going through all of that right now. Truly a kick in the teeth.

And thank you for posting the most majestic pictures of A-bodies ever taken. The first car I drove was our family's 1987 Chevy Celebrity wagon with the 2.8L in Yellow Beige.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo, man. That's a rough week.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh jeez sorry to hear that man, hope you're doing ok. That is a great picture of George though, nice work.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
poo poo went sideways last night, but all things considered, everything went way better than it could have. I got some new tires put on the wagon. I left the shop, drove a short distance, stopped to get out to take a picture of my new kicks, then had a gigantic freakout.

A transmission cooler line blew off suddenly. I got it fixed and refilled, but man, that was wild. If I hadn't gone to get tires, that could have happened on my commute this morning. That would have turned a $50 oopsie into a $2000 transmission rebuild.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yikes. One of my greatest fears is losing a transmission line and not noticing until it's too late. Glad you caught it.

Sidenote, Ford got weird with their transmission coolers - they moved them into the AC condenser. The upside, I guess, is you don't run the risk of a strawberry milkshake. The downside is when the cooler pops, you have to recover the refrigerant* - turns what's usually a DIY friendly job into something a bit more advanced.

*if you don't loop the lines temporarily, or slap in an external cooler

**I learned that when trying to find a new ABS controller for my Crown Vic - was looking at the radiator and condenser, and "the gently caress is this poo poo?!" as I removed an ABS module..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, that was a lucky failure right there. It even did it in a nice wide smooth paved area to work on it, and during the coolest point of the year.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lucky catch!
Buddy of mine lost a rad hose on my former Cherokee on the highway and wounded the engine when he didn't notice.

STR posted:

Yikes. One of my greatest fears is losing a transmission line and not noticing until it's too late. Glad you caught it.

Sidenote, Ford got weird with their transmission coolers - they moved them into the AC condenser. The upside, I guess, is you don't run the risk of a strawberry milkshake. The downside is when the cooler pops, you have to recover the refrigerant* - turns what's usually a DIY friendly job into something a bit more advanced.

*if you don't loop the lines temporarily, or slap in an external cooler

**I learned that when trying to find a new ABS controller for my Crown Vic - was looking at the radiator and condenser, and "the gently caress is this poo poo?!" as I removed an ABS module..

They did what? Guess I'll have to take a look at that next time I'm under the hood.
And yeah, I'd just whack in an external cooler at that point.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yup. 05+ for sure, not sure about older models.

I'd be throwing in an external cooler too, though at that point, the AC is probably dead.... which, well, we're both in TX. We both know how well that goes here. We've hit 90 down here twice that I know of already, though I'm also ~180 miles south of you these days.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 1, 2023

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
This seems the best place to share this:

https://jalopnik.com/at-4-000-is-this-95-buick-century-wagon-a-good-value-1850177911

Seems a bit high priced considering the mechanical problems, but it's pretty clean.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This seems the best place to share this:

https://jalopnik.com/at-4-000-is-this-95-buick-century-wagon-a-good-value-1850177911

Seems a bit high priced considering the mechanical problems, but it's pretty clean.

I am headed to Memphis tomorrow if anyone serious would like me to check it out. I love wagons.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
GENTLEMEN

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Behold!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
gently caress Interstate 40.

Potholes on that lovely stretch of tarmac completely buggered my alignment. These tires are three weeks old, with less than 3000 miles on them.

Chef Brian
Jul 20, 2004

HAY KB THANKS FOR BUYING ME MY ACCOUNT! I THINK THIS IS AN APPROPRIATE WAY TO THANK YOU! -A-ARSE

Left Ventricle posted:

gently caress Interstate 40.

Potholes on that lovely stretch of tarmac completely buggered my alignment. These tires are three weeks old, with less than 3000 miles on them.

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Chef Brian posted:

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo

That's horrid. Now I want to check my alignment since I've hit some bad potholes lately

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Image hosting site Imgur will be removing images not associated with an account.

Like many of you, I have been using imgur for hosting for a long time, anonymously. It will be a monumental task to rehost everything I've posted here over the years. I feel like a lot of this thread (and my old head gasket thread from 2013) will probably end up dying. I'll do what I can, but there isn't a ton of time. May 15th, apparently.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty cross about that, I have no idea which pics from which of my threads I'm going to have to reupload and fix hotlinks on. Why do all image hosts eventually gently caress their users like this?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Yeah I'm pretty cross about that, I have no idea which pics from which of my threads I'm going to have to reupload and fix hotlinks on. Why do all image hosts eventually gently caress their users like this?

Because hosting images makes negative money unless you can rope people in to viewing ads (or at the very least mining their data to sell) hence why they're forcing accounts on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Astral, Jeff and some random gonns are actively DDOSing duping all of imgur's posts on the forums and are going to host them and update all the post links to use the new host.

There's a thread about it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030290