Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

Basically this. There are likely no witnesses, I don't even know what kind of vehicle hit it, who cares about some lovely old Buick, etc.

We care about some lovely old Buick. I cut my teeth wrenching on these cars and have had many give there life to save mine. Sucks some scumfuck hit and ran. Don't worry there's a place in the afterlife with all the biggest pineapples waiting for those assholes. Love your cars dude keep on keep in on. Also in Chicago 90% of those cars have a bumper slightly folded like that. Its like a badge of love and honor almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Would getting hit and pushed like that damage something like the parking brake or the parking pawl?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe? The parking pawl should ratchet and the rear brakes should be fine.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

ExecuDork posted:

Would getting hit and pushed like that damage something like the parking brake or the parking pawl?

It may have, I don't know. I don't believe the parking brake was set, since my street is flat. I haven't driven it, but my MIL did, and she reported that the transmission shifted the same as before, and it had no troubles coming out of and going back in to park.

clam ache posted:

We care about some lovely old Buick. I cut my teeth wrenching on these cars and have had many give there life to save mine. Sucks some scumfuck hit and ran. Don't worry there's a place in the afterlife with all the biggest pineapples waiting for those assholes. Love your cars dude keep on keep in on. Also in Chicago 90% of those cars have a bumper slightly folded like that. Its like a badge of love and honor almost.

:glomp: Thanks. I know YOU GUYS do, but to most people, my cars shouldn't even be on the road, they should be, like, a thousand soup cans by now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Parking pawl won't ratchet. Might have reduced the lifespan of it, the motor mounts, cv shafts, or suspension links and bushings a bit but that's it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Left Ventricle posted:

It may have, I don't know. I don't believe the parking brake was set, since my street is flat. I haven't driven it, but my MIL did, and she reported that the transmission shifted the same as before, and it had no troubles coming out of and going back in to park.

:glomp: Thanks. I know YOU GUYS do, but to most people, my cars shouldn't even be on the road, they should be, like, a thousand soup cans by now.

If you don't save Centuries from extinction, who else will?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

clam ache posted:

We care about some lovely old Buick. I cut my teeth wrenching on these cars and have had many give there life to save mine. Sucks some scumfuck hit and ran. Don't worry there's a place in the afterlife with all the biggest pineapples waiting for those assholes.

Maybe if civilization collapses we can form an angry revenge mob.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We'll find that out in about four days!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

I like the cut of your jib. You got moxy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Raluek posted:

Do you not have uninsured motorist coverage? I have liability-only and my policy includes that. I think that might handle hit-n-run.

Depends on the state.

It does in Texas, thankfully. Saved my rear end twice now on hit and runs. Once while I was in the car, once while the car was parked.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRwvigHXgi0

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Spoiler!
I knew the function... wish my Fit's spoiler did it, the rear wiper doesn't have intermittent and that is kind of annoying.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hi George

:wave:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > I Bought Some Wheels: Bad Decisions ITT

16" Grand Am SE wheels with Nexen 225-45 tires. I bought them for occasional racing purposes, since the shorter tire changes my effective final drive from 2.97 to 3.16. Hopefully that will let me pick up a tenth or two on the strip.

I may go back to the yard and grab the other two and put on some tall tires for the rear, like 225-60, give the car some old school rake.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It goes together surprisingly well.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Minor update.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but my yellow '92 sedan had some interesting kludges when I bought it. One of them was a toggle switch that powered the fuel pump. Since it was literally lamp cord going straight to the battery, it needed to go. I found out that the reason that switch was there was that the relay and fuse had gone out. Why someone would go to the effort of hot-wiring the pump instead of replacing a $10 relay that took less than five minutes, I'll never know. The problem lie in the fact that they directly wired the fuel pump to the battery and switch, inside the tank. This pinched the o-ring that seals the top of the tank where the sender goes, and allowed all manner of outside air and water to get in and rust the inside. As a consequence, it clogs filters every few weeks and has eaten three pumps.

I bought a new tank and sender from Rock Auto and slammed it in today. I didn't take pictures, because I'm sure most of you know what it's like to pull and replace a fuel tank. Hopefully that's the end of that issue. It drat well better be.

Also, since I didn't want to soak myself in coolant, I hired a mobile mechanic to replace the water pump. The gasket had been leaking for a while, and with another Las Vegas summer approaching, keeping the engine cool is a priority. $211 was totally worth not having to do it myself.

Speaking of keeping things cool, I got a hold of this:

All-aluminum radiator to replace the plastic one. It seems to be put together pretty well. Only cost $100.

I will be installing it tomorrow most likely. I will take a few pictures of that though. I have a 2500 mile road trip planned for spring break, so making sure I don't end up on the back of a truck in Bumfuck, NM, is kind of important.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a super fancy rad for $100. Who makes it?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

I'll look at the box when I get home. I'm not sure. I bought it from Genesis Auto Parts. Looks like I bought the last one too; the site says they're out of stock now!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Double postin'.

Left Ventricle posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > I Bought Some Wheels: Bad Decisions ITT

16" Grand Am SE wheels with Nexen 225-45 tires. I bought them for occasional racing purposes, since the shorter tire changes my effective final drive from 2.97 to 3.16. Hopefully that will let me pick up a tenth or two on the strip.

I may go back to the yard and grab the other two and put on some tall tires for the rear, like 225-60, give the car some old school rake.
I did just that.

Like I said, I went with 225-60-16 for the rear. I also tuned the computer for the new tire size, and the speedometer and miles are being reported correctly. We'll see what sort of effect the shorter tires have on fuel economy.

And yes, I will wash the car, once I figure out how to get the driver's rear window back up. It's currently stuck open about 1/4", and the motor is stone dead. I really don't want to flood the interior of the car.

"Silla", apparently.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Pull the door panel off the door with the fucky window and see if you can move it by hand or if it's totally jammed up. If you can, you might be able to at least get it all the way closed. Any clicking or humming coming from the regulator/motor when you hit the switch?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Any clicking or humming coming from the regulator/motor when you hit the switch?

Nothing. No sound, no movement. I tried pulling up on the glass while :siren:MY WIFE:siren: pushed the switch, but it slid right back down to its current position. I just went and wedged a couple of folded-up pieces of paper in the sides, and it seems to be up enough to be watertight.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Left Ventricle posted:

Nothing. No sound, no movement. I tried pulling up on the glass while :siren:MY WIFE:siren: pushed the switch, but it slid right back down to its current position. I just went and wedged a couple of folded-up pieces of paper in the sides, and it seems to be up enough to be watertight.

That seems like a seized motor with a little slack in the mechanism. I don't know how much motors and regulators are for Centuries, but I can't imagine they'd be much.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I will eventually pay someone to replace both rear motors. They're riveted to the door. I don't feel like dealing with that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Left Ventricle posted:

I will eventually pay someone to replace both rear motors. They're riveted to the door. I don't feel like dealing with that.

I'm increasingly more willing to pay people these days to do the work, my sanity and back just can't take it anymore. Problem is finding a good mechanic tho.

I did solve most of my problem however by selling my two old cars (a '96 and '97) and got a newer car (2012) so it's only fluid changes for me for a looooong time :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm increasingly more willing to pay people these days to do the work, my sanity and back just can't take it anymore. Problem is finding a good mechanic tho.

I did solve most of my problem however by selling my two old cars (a '96 and '97) and got a newer car (2012) so it's only fluid changes for me for a looooong time :)

I realize it is anti-AI but drat it feels good to have something that needs fluid changes maybe three times a year despite driving nearly 25k/yr, and a new battery every 23 months.

Leaves more time for the fun poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Agreed. Now that my son is at the age of always wanting to do things, I just don't have the time anymore to deal with cars.

Once hanging out with dad isn't cool anymore I'll probably get a project :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I realize it is anti-AI but drat it feels good to have something that needs fluid changes maybe three times a year despite driving nearly 25k/yr, and a new battery every 23 months.

Leaves more time for the fun poo poo.

Very much agree. I will never go back to not having a reliable boring daily driver that needs attention maybe four weekends a year. Saves weekends for working on fun stuff and ever present yard/house work.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Lightness + shorter front tires = over 1/2 second improvement in ET. No mechanical changes. Before and after.

Also, on today's edition of "Inappropriate Burnouts"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU5QZHa7jsU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

quote:

He's having too much fun!
You live in a deeply oppressive society. Free yourself from this cultural tyranny!

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

ExecuDork posted:

You live in a deeply oppressive society. Free yourself from this cultural tyranny!

Something something protestant ethic, or some similar drivel.

Echoing that the statement "too much fun" is horseshit.

I live in the south and let me tell you it's an all too real phenomenon of people getting upset with you if you look like you're enjoying yourself too much.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/34745-puritanism-the-haunting-fear-that-someone-somewhere-may-be-happy

(Anyone who is not an H.L. Mencken fan can :getout:)

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 19, 2017

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
That thing is a big ugly piece of poo poo.

Almost comically so. The busted up wood panelling, shitbox interior combined with missing panels and unknown stains, as well as its overall aura of decrepitude brings to mind the depressing scene of something parked in a meth lab's driveway, a methadone clinic parking lot, or outside the dollar store on the 1st of the month.

But.....$200? And it ran?

I like it. No...I love it. There is no thrill finer than picking up a junkyard/wreckingyard/towing shop/nickel trader special for a few hundred bucks. If it runs and gets you home you're already ahead of the game. gently caress any hate you receive for that glorious hunk of poo poo. :cool:

I like the car and I like your thread. Cheers.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Kurten posted:

That thing is a big ugly piece of poo poo.

Almost comically so. The busted up wood panelling, shitbox interior combined with missing panels and unknown stains, as well as its overall aura of decrepitude brings to mind the depressing scene of something parked in a meth lab's driveway, a methadone clinic parking lot, or outside the dollar store on the 1st of the month.

But.....$200? And it ran?

I like it. No...I love it. There is no thrill finer than picking up a junkyard/wreckingyard/towing shop/nickel trader special for a few hundred bucks. If it runs and gets you home you're already ahead of the game. gently caress any hate you receive for that glorious hunk of poo poo. :cool:

I like the car and I like your thread. Cheers.
I legitimately bought it from a trailer park. It ran and drove, after I put about a gallon of fluid into the transmission. It then pissed it all out within about 40 miles. Torque converter seal is suspected. That isn't going to be a problem though. You guys are going to LOVE what I have planned for the shithouse wagon.

Have you read the rest of the thread, friend? Plenty of shenanigans to be had with the other wagon.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

Left Ventricle posted:

I legitimately bought it from a trailer park. It ran and drove, after I put about a gallon of fluid into the transmission. It then pissed it all out within about 40 miles. Torque converter seal is suspected. That isn't going to be a problem though. You guys are going to LOVE what I have planned for the shithouse wagon.

Have you read the rest of the thread, friend? Plenty of shenanigans to be had with the other wagon.

Nah only made it to page 4 or so.

You got me beat with that foot wart of a car for $200!

My personal best for a running shitbox was $250. And it did not have wood paneling like that thing does. :)

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Shameless anti-archival bump. I took the wagon on a 3000 mile road trip last month, and it performed admirably. No issues, averaged 27 miles per gallon, with a couple tanks hitting 29. The trip itself was unremarkable. We went to visit my wife's grandparents in Russell, KS. Coming from Las Vegas, I am unused to things closing at 9 pm, as I found out when I went to get a nip of booze for the wife at 9:30.

There was an enormous rain storm that I had to drive through without my wipers, since the passenger side wiper blade decided to gently caress off the arm. That was fun, and not at all harrowing.

Not much else to report. I will probably spend some quality time with the yellow sedan in the near future. It has quite a bit of deferred maintenance that needs to be addressed. Oil change, transmission service, engine and transmission mounts. I'll make sure I take pictures of the mess that is the mounts.

OH! And I applied a new badge to the wagon. If you're a member of the AI Facebook group, you've seen this, but this is probably one of the very few cosmetic modifications I will do to this car: Buick tri-shield and Century name badge on the tailgate. This generation of Century has name badges on the quarter panels, but they fell off long ago. That, and my "RUNNING IN THE 90'S" and Roadkill bumper stickers.

And today's edition of "What made you think that was a good idea?", fridge on the roof.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nice to see the Drag Wagon hasn't forgotten its grocery getter roots. :v:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
When Rod tells a family friendly but surprisingly hilarious joke you've never heard before:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
As I said, I spent a little quality time with the yellow sedan on Sunday.

Parts and tools!

Only the best petroleum products for MY shitbox. Also shown is a Dorman transmission pan with a drain plug.

This air filter was pretty gross. (Yes, also orange.)

My supervisor. His name is Boxer. He is seven years old. He is A Good Dog.

Really dislike the remote filter location on the 3.3 cars. Guaranteed to make a mess.

Waterfall. Oilfall?

My new best friend. Nineteen bolts by hand sucks majorly.

Transmission fluid probably shouldn't be orange, right?

The magnet was pretty grody too.

I am fairly confident the transmission had never been serviced on this car. Evidence: cork gasket (aftermarket is rubber), numbers written in marker on the filter body, filter stamped MADE IN U.S.A. It shifted pretty well afterward.

I had intended to also slap some brake pads on the front, but a rounded lug nut prevented that. I will be returning to the shop that last put tires on to have them address that. I don't round my lug nuts.

Next weekend: mounts. Kill me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Orange is a hell of a lot better than black / brown, so I'd say that transmission is pretty healthy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've always felt like auditing used ATF quality is more about smell than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

I've always felt like auditing used ATF quality is more about smell than anything else.

It did smell a little burnt. It was probably not as bad as it could have been, since the gasket had been leaking for a long time, so it was self-flushing. :v: