Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
that's a healthy tranny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

cursedshitbox posted:

that's a healthy tranny.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Orange is a hell of a lot better than black / brown, so I'd say that transmission is pretty healthy.

This makes me feel a bit better. Thanks guys. :)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

This makes me feel a bit better. Thanks guys. :)

Also that magnet is pretty normal for a driven transmisson. When it looks like a porquepine made of black fiber and metal then worry.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45plpQHMnQ8
he;lp pls

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I would test the tps if you haven't already, make sure it's operating. I'm guessing it has a range and is more than a WOT switch. If that checks (hopefully it doesn't and this is simply a bad tps), then test from the tps connector to the ECU pinout.

It appears that the iacv is working correctly once the tps signal opens, so I'm thinking that the ecu is getting bad info from the tps.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

angryrobots posted:

I would test the tps if you haven't already, make sure it's operating. I'm guessing it has a range and is more than a WOT switch. If that checks (hopefully it doesn't and this is simply a bad tps), then test from the tps connector to the ECU pinout.

It appears that the iacv is working correctly once the tps signal opens, so I'm thinking that the ecu is getting bad info from the tps.

I have replaced the idle speed control motor and the TPS twice. I've checked my wiring splice for the TPS connector, to make sure it hasn't come undone, and it's not shorting on the throttle bracket. Each time this happens though, the computer reports an arbitrary throttle position, sometimes 25% or higher. Unless there's an issue with the PCM itself... It never did this on the stock setup.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

the TPS is just a variable resistor right? any extra resistance in the circuit would make that happen. there's got to be a loose connection/corrosion somewhere, maybe at the ECU end. I say go nuts with some contact cleaner and a toothbrush on every connector even close to the TPS.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I've been spitballing with someone from the A-body board over Messenger. They are suggesting that the tune could be incorrect.

As I have mentioned before, this build is a bucket of GM Legos poured into the engine bay of this car. I reused a number of stock components, and the PCM is from a 1997 Monte Carlo. The A-body member posits that, because I am using the MC PCM, somewhat modified, the actual airflow isn't matching what's expected in the tables. Grand Am throttle body and mass air flow sensor, stock Century manifold absolute pressure sensor. The LA1 TB is larger than the L82/LG8, so it's allowing more air into the engine than expected. That would also explain the constant P0171 lean code I've had from day one.

I sent an e-mail to Milzy with a link to that video. Hopefully he can come up with something. I'll probably call him soon too to discuss the tune.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

During idle, the throttle body is closed and the air flows through the idle air control motor, correct? Just making sure it's not driving the throttle blade directly (pretty sure that's a more modern design more common on drive-by-wire). Anyhow imo if the idle air isn't moving through the throttle body, I don't see how it affects the idle even if it is oversized. Your mix and match components may be contributing to the persistent lean code, but should be unrelated to the high idle.

If you blip the throttle while it's misbehaving, does it return to a more normal idle, or back to high idle?

I find it strange that the pcm isn't making any apparent attempt to lower the rpms. If you can see that the input sensors are reporting normally, and the idle air motor is getting the right signal (perhaps as fully closed as the idle table allows), it may be pointing to an unmetered air leak?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
After talking on the phone with Mike Miller, I think the problem is my dirty rear end hacking in the TPS connector. I didn't solder the wires. I just twisted and taped them. The only time I was able to catch this with any sort of scanner handy, throttle position was reported at 27%. The computer isn't trying to calm things down because it thinks the throttle is being held open.

I guess I need to buy a soldering iron and melt some metal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Either that or actually crimp it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Crimp and heat shrink is probably the ticket here.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Upon further inspection, one of the wires was tapeless and possibly touching the throttle cable bracket. That would explain the seeming random nature of the issue. At some point in the near future, I will probably solder the wires. For now, I have rerouted the wires away from the throttle bracket, and once I get a hold of some more tape, I will liberally apply some.

Mike also reiterated a probable cause for my persistent P0171 code: the rear valve cover ventilation hole. It's essentially open and causing a vacuum leak, because I have nowhere to put a hose. I will probably have to drill a hole in the coupler between the MAF and TB to insert the hose.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I love that you swapped an engine but don't own a soldering iron or crimpers.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Larrymer posted:

I love that you swapped an engine but don't own a soldering iron or crimpers.

:lol:

I did this swap with a $50 Stanley tool box I bought from Wal-Mart and a USED Harbor Freight branded engine crane I got from a guy off craigslist. Dealer technician, I am not.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Heat shrink crimps - best of both worlds. Sealed up against the elements, but won't be prone to cracking from vibrations like solder would.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Heat shrink crimps - best of both worlds. Sealed up against the elements, but won't be prone to cracking from vibrations like solder would.

But be sure you use a good crimp tool. Tug on the wires once crimped to make sure they won't just fall out. for that, I would prefer to solder, though. I personally have never had any issue with the solder cracking boogey man. It's not a space shuttle.

Twist and tape is... suboptimal for anything other than *very* temporary/test connections. Electrical tape is an insulator, not a structural component.

edit: source: I used to install mobile electronics semi-professionally, as in I worked for a shop and did it for a living. poo poo I put in my personal vehicles over a decade ago, possibly two, is still working. Oh, gently caress, it *has* been over 20 years since I installed that alarm...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 25, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have a ~$20 stripper/crimper combo from Commercial Electric (Home Depot's store brand), and it does decent crimps. But run far away from the $5-$10 poo poo at Walmart/Harbor Freight/any flimsy crimper+stripper combo.

I never did it for a living, but I know the electrical work I've done on my own car will outlast the car (engine harness repairs, plus the typical stereo + sub stuff).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I trust a good crimp.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You do need to keep your crimp hand strong tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm getting arthritis and in my hands it's the worst, I can no longer crimp a good crimp :smith:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

crimp cramp

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Goober Peas posted:

crimp cramp

crimp gimp

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm getting arthritis and in my hands it's the worst, I can no longer crimp a good crimp :smith:

The ratcheting ones help that.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Now featured on Engine Swap Depot.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
It was bound to happen sometime. I'm a fuckup!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That blows. You can fix it, though. I've got faith in you.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That blows. You can fix it, though. I've got faith in you.
:shobon: Thanks bro. At least I have a parts car!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Coulda been a hell of a lot worse. That looks fixable with a 12 pack of beer, a mallet, and basic hand tools.

What happened? And how loudly is George cussing at you right now?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Coulda been a hell of a lot worse. That looks fixable with a 12 pack of beer, a mallet, and basic hand tools.

What happened? And how loudly is George cussing at you right now?

Yes, everything went better than it could have, by a country mile. I rear ended a Crown Victoria while entering a highway. The other driver was surprisingly calm about everything. He photographed my license, insurance card, damage, and license plate, and that was pretty much it for the encounter. No police were summoned. It ended as amicably as such a situation could.

George is pretty pissed. I flat spotted the front tires, since I don't currently have functioning ABS. Made it home fine though. More pics in the morning as I assess the extent of injury. Initial inspection showed largely cosmetic damage, though the front cooling fan is wasted.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
FACK! Looks cosmetic though.

she'll buff out. :D

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it makes you feel any better, GM made ABS optional on much of their lineup for several years (from the mid-late 90s up until the feds made it mandatory). My 06 Ion doesn't have it, but it has drat near every other option (sunroof, PW, PL, PM, MP3/CD player with aux in, Onstar, compass, keyless entry, outside temp display, automatic headlights, etc). I think the only available factory options missing are the automatic transmission, leather interior, and ABS.

I was guessing either a land barge (Crown Vic) or a smaller truck.

I'd guess you're going to find a tweaked upper radiator support and a little bit of damage behind the bumper. I bet the fender pops back into place as soon as the radiator support gets hammered out.

Glad to hear the CV driver wasn't a dick.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 24, 2017

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

We've all rear-ended someone who probably shouldn't have stopped in the first place (I assume that is what happened here). The saving grace is that it will probably only happen once to you.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If it makes you feel any better, GM made ABS optional on much of their lineup for several years (from the mid-late 90s up until the feds made it mandatory).

I consider that a good thing, GM ABS sucked rear end. When I lived in Nebraska with N-Bodies I would disable ABS so winter driving was less scary.

Also, had a 2004 Grand Prix as a rental once, it is so goddamn fun having a rental car without ABS... Just sayin'.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That sucks. But... kinda expected since you uprated the power so much! :D

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

We've all rear-ended someone who probably shouldn't have stopped in the first place (I assume that is what happened here). The saving grace is that it will probably only happen once to you.

Yes and yes (did exactly that in my 850, zero damage but my ins still paid out. I should have caused an accordion wreck in my E30 on an onramp when traffic suddenly stopped while I was looking in my side mirror, but managed to swerve into the grass median and hit nothing because E30.

Sorry bout your damage there, at least it appears minimal.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've tagged someone when they started to make a right turn... then decided not to. Dedicated turn lane w/yield sign. They started to take off, so I looked to my left to see if I was clear and oh hey there's an ambulance comi*CRUNCH*FUCKKKKKK

:downsgun:

Scratch on their car... $3000 in damage to mine.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've tagged someone when they started to make a right turn... then decided not to. Dedicated turn lane w/yield sign. They started to take off, so I looked to my left to see if I was clear and oh hey there's an ambulance comi*CRUNCH*FUCKKKKKK

:downsgun:

Scratch on their car... $3000 in damage to mine.

I did pretty much the same thing a year or so ago except the dude stopped again for no reason at all, no cars coming or anything.

Dented his bumper slightly, royally hosed up my front end. I still haven't replaced the bumper support so my fog lights will be usable again :sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It was a literal scratch on their car, a couple of inches long.

I got them with the RF corner of my Accord (LR corner of their car), so the impact went right past the steel beam behind the bumper. Destroyed the bumper cover, styrofoam, airbox, headlight, and fender; the hood and upper radiator support needed some tweaking too.

01 Accord vs 92 Camry. I didn't even have my foot all the way off the clutch, I was probably doing 3-5 mph. :sigh: If I'd caught them just a hair toward the drivers side on my car, I probably would have had a similar scratch on my car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It was a literal scratch on their car, a couple of inches long.

I got them with the RF corner of my Accord (LR corner of their car), so the impact went right past the steel beam behind the bumper. Destroyed the bumper cover, styrofoam, airbox, headlight, and fender; the hood and upper radiator support needed some tweaking too.

01 Accord vs 92 Camry. I didn't even have my foot all the way off the clutch, I was probably doing 3-5 mph. :sigh: If I'd caught them just a hair toward the drivers side on my car, I probably would have had a similar scratch on my car.

You didn't even give them a Camry dent? I'm disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

THAT'S THE WORST PART :mad: