Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love your shitrod projects. I wish I could turn over cars this quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah sounds like the reels in the adapter are gummed up. Any increase in friction basically triggers the auto-reverse functionality.

This guy has a potential fix:
https://fallenposters.wordpress.com/2006/06/28/the-perils-of-autoreverse/

Pictures, with further dodgy hacks in the comments:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-cure-car-cassette-adapter-quotauto-revers/?ALLSTEPS

Some of the mondo cheap dollar store ones have such terrible reels that happens right out of the box. Took me awhile of buying different kinds before I found one that would work in my car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 14, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah that sounds about par for the course with U-Haul. I'm a little surprised their franchises will even accept the liability for installing a tranny cooler.

Dude who did the install totally knew he hosed up too, check out that double overtightened hose clamp action.

Couple years ago we rented a U-Haul car hauler trailer for a long-distance run and ended up having to inflate all four tires, re-do the wiring (including the tail lights) and repack the wheel bearings which came to us dry.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 3, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
To think I've been putting off doing control arm bushings.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
poo poo, I bet that thing can swallow a 50 shot. Does the ECU like HPTuners?

What happened with the reaction time there?

I wish we had a drag strip here still so we could do an altitude-corrected "slowest car in AI" challenge. It's probably one of the stupid ACVWs though :(

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 4, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

clam ache posted:

We care about some lovely old Buick. I cut my teeth wrenching on these cars and have had many give there life to save mine. Sucks some scumfuck hit and ran. Don't worry there's a place in the afterlife with all the biggest pineapples waiting for those assholes.

Maybe if civilization collapses we can form an angry revenge mob.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a super fancy rad for $100. Who makes it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've always felt like auditing used ATF quality is more about smell than anything else.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Crimp and heat shrink is probably the ticket here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That blows. You can fix it, though. I've got faith in you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This has gone to the mental place that I both hoped and feared that it might.

Godspeed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I saw a thread on j-body years ago where some dude did an RWD conversion using a Camaro rear end and some bastard-insane Grand Am(?) rear subframe swap with a little fab.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 2, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Much better. Is it getting hard to find little trim bits like bumper fillers and headlight surrounds?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You can helicoil a head, I'm sure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Left Ventricle posted:

Neither car was fit this year, for a variety of reasons. Hopefully the wagon will be ready in time for next year's. Slowest car on the track! Guaranteed or your money back! :hehe:

We had a guy run a rascal scooter once. It started getting slower the further he went, and they had to restart the clock a few times because it locks up at 59 seconds.

IIRC it was like 2:30 @ 10 mph.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would never have guessed you could buy Pacesetter headers for an FWD-fitment Chevy V6.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It wouldn't surprise me if you're blowing the tires off just because they are Tiger Paws.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

That squat is something else. I bet you could get a way better burnout with some heavier springs back there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think the Ecotecs (03+) had nearly as many head gasket issues as the iron-block-aluminum-head 2200 SFIs that predated them, so hopefully it's an easy fix.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What was the truck?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Left Ventricle posted:

I am. I want this truck to be the dumbest bro garbage possible, without the performance chops to back it up. So I want an enormous Ram logo decal taking up the back window, a bighorn sheep mural on the tailgate, hell, maybe even a fender snorkel for no reason, since this is a 2WD truck!

Is there a turbo kit for the 3.7? I haven't been able to find one. Not that the 42RLE would be able to handle it, but a man can dream, right?

Maybe get this 3.5L one for the wagon?

Isn't there a four-banger Euro option for the Chrysler 300 or something? I know you can get a VM Motori turbodiesel.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe you could make your own mounts with an investment mould or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I put a thin coat of nickel antiseize on the wheel where it contacts the hub/rotor face (trying hard to keep it away from the lug holes) and that seems to work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Despite all the dumb poo poo the previous owners did on my Nova, some kind soul replaced the trans pan with one that included a drain plug. It's such a simple little thing but it makes such a huge quality of life difference.

It’s a great idea until you take it to a Jiffy Lube and end up with no transmission fluid and double the engine oil - I never would but you don’t know what the next owner will do. I always paint marker any additional drain points now when I’m under a new car.