Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
All my friends in high school had these cars. They ran for forever and I put many an intake gasket and W brake spring on these things. Such a comfortable ride and a perfect beater car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
A lot of my friends had luminas with intake leaks. But everyone who had granys buick only had me doing brakes every few months. Those things brakes do not do well with teenage driving. Truthfully no brakes hold up to dumb teenagers.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
That sounds like the rubber in the harmonic balancer. Even more so when the camera goes down and you can see the crank pulley doing the worn rubber dance. Also the valve covers are cheap to buy and easy to do. Just take them off and give all the valves and lifters a check. But old GM harmonic balancers are notorious for making that noise.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

The folks over at a-body.net seem to agree with you. That's a good reason to park it, yeah? Especially since I have no money for parts of any kind right now.

Its a pretty cheap part. I would recommend a new belt or not driving it. Because I don't know if you noticed but in the video you can watch the belt slide across the other pulley. This uneven wear helps give the belt an early death.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Man I forgot about the turbo grand prixs. A friend had one in high school that his dad had always kept mint. When the other kids got GTP's with a supercharged 3800 he was hounding them for races. And that little turbo kept up well with the GTP. Basically what I'm saying is you should find a turbo 3100 since I'm sure that will drop in just as easily. A bodys were like Hondas and had Many variation with little to no modification to the engine bay or motor mounts. But finding a turbo grand prix that isn't grenade thanks to cheap GM intake gaskets is impossible.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Well at least its an easy fix and not a motor knocking on heavens door. People around Chicago find these cars to be worth 1200 no matter the condition. Which means I see prestine ones that are perfect for 1200 and then ones that are 75% rust for the same price.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I'm fairly sure that's an old amp for a phone. Maybe I'm wrong but I remember those being under the seat in my dads work truck that had a Motorola installed in it. I really love this thread and what you are doing to these old beautys.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I was wondering what happened to these 90s gems. Glad to see your keeping them around. I really keep trying to find a nice wagon. But the rust took them from the Midwest

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Your 4t60e is probably leaking from the axle seal. And as for the white car having issues with starting I would definitely check the fuel filter if not already done. And I love every time you update this thread. So many good memory's had in the back of a cutlass or century a body. Also my first accident was in a 88 of the same vintage.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

Was your first accident also a good memory in the back seat?

I wish it was a rear end causing another rear end and a dislocated wrist. Driver broke his nose on the steering wheel.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

Be careful friends. If you rub the lamp on the dashboard and let the genie out, this is what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh0stiZXSy4

ehh new engines are cheap as poop from the junkyard. I had an old service writer at pepboys with a 3100 monte carlo. That thing knocked like a metal skeleton on meth jerking off in the closet. And it just kept on knocking till he totaled it into a customers car. But the point is the 3100 is noisy and will live with a knocky motor for a long time.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Just keep posting it here . I can't wait to follow this trip down the rabbit hole. Gm v6 motors have always held a place close to my heart. Its probably because I make a killing on them. But please keep posting I have always wanted to 3800 gen 3 swap an old's of that vintage.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I saw these on Facebook. And it was awesome. My dad didn't wanna pose for photos when we pulled my accords motor. Awesome video it pretty much went like every motor pull ever. *alright pull more, poo poo it won't move, poo poo something is still connected. * good times.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

Basically this. There are likely no witnesses, I don't even know what kind of vehicle hit it, who cares about some lovely old Buick, etc.

We care about some lovely old Buick. I cut my teeth wrenching on these cars and have had many give there life to save mine. Sucks some scumfuck hit and ran. Don't worry there's a place in the afterlife with all the biggest pineapples waiting for those assholes. Love your cars dude keep on keep in on. Also in Chicago 90% of those cars have a bumper slightly folded like that. Its like a badge of love and honor almost.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Maybe if civilization collapses we can form an angry revenge mob.

I like the cut of your jib. You got moxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

This makes me feel a bit better. Thanks guys. :)

Also that magnet is pretty normal for a driven transmisson. When it looks like a porquepine made of black fiber and metal then worry.