Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo this thread is amazing, and you are amazing for collecting these cars. And SouthsideSaint is right: any one of these that moves under its own power, in any condition for any length of time, seems to go for around $1200 on craigslist around the country.

I had a 1988 Delta 88 with the Pre-series-1 3800 LN3. From what I remember, it should be a neat drop-in, engine mounts and all. Then you can put the L67 supercharger and ECM on it, and benefit from both the supercharger, and not having to deal with the two-piece intake that suffered from the infamous mid-intake gasket failures.

Whatever you do, though, replace all of the goddamn freeze plugs. Twice have I lost an engine to freeze plugs rusting out, and I lived in an area with practically no rust (drier winters, no road salt or sand, only gravel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
TCC solenoid went on my 1988 Delta 88 with the 3800 V6. Instead of replacing it, I added one of those $20 ebay transmission/oil coolers to supplement the stock one, and unplugged the TCC solenoid wires and drove it another 7 years in mountainous Idaho.

I'd still be driving that car today had the freeze plugs not all decided to rust out at once and a cheaper car (1995 Plymouth Acclaim with the 3.0 V6) became available immediately.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Try unplugging the MAF.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aww man, sorry it didn't work out. Nearly any G or H body I've come across has a dirty MAF and a bad coil pack ground. If the MAF is bad enough, unplugging it puts the mixture to default values that are usually better than the dirty learned values (after unplugging the battery to put it into learning mode, then driving it up to 60 at least twice with at least one "closed loop" state set... :argh: GM). Then cleaning the MAF resistor with alcohol on a q tip fixes it enough to plug it back in. Any other idle misfiring was then reduced to the bad coil ground, both on the back of the coil pack, and the pack mount to engine block interface.

I tried for a hail-Mary.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Your dedication to these wagons is motivating.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
GodDAMMIT I came here to post that!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I could swear an early s2 SC could fit onto a S1, but not the pre-s1 (86-88) motors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That family of motors (3300/3800/etc) get AMAZING gas mileage on the highway for what they are. I know I post about the 3800 a lot and joke that it'll get "35 highway/11 city," but it's kind of true. IIRC the transmissions also just let the motor torque along at like 1100 RPM at 60-65. On my 88 Delta 88 it was set up like

1st>>>2nd>>>>>>>>>3rd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4th/OD.

Only downside is that, if you don't turn OD off, the car will hunt like a motherfucker anywhere between 45 and 65, even sometimes on level ground.