Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
gently caress.

Reading through this thread again, I JUST got the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Hey, I follow this thread because I want to put a 3500 in my Fiero. :colbert:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Huh. Today I learned something.
I'd try for the modern 3.6, but I can see where the 3.5 has advantages in that it's more or less the same configuration and family as the 2.8 60-degree that came in the Fieros in the first place. I understand that there is one 3400 (from an early... Venture, I think?) that is a bolt in, but the rest just need the starter relocated, if I remember correctly.

Something like that. If I recall, there's oddness with the 3600 (or maybe the 3900) that makes it harder to swap than a 3500. Something to do with the sensors or controls. Mostly I'm looking to minimize the welding (I don't have a welder or a space I could use one), I believe the stock exhaust will work with a 3500 if new manifold flanges are welded on.

This thread has made me think one of the 60 degree v6's would be much easier than a 3800, for roughly the same power stock (and I'm not looking for much anyway, mostly a way to ditch the lovely mid 80's ECU, vacuum lines and the loving ignition module that keeps dying and leaving me stranded).

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The best part about this is that you can walk into your local Chevy dealer, give them a GM part number, and walk out with a Toyota badge.

Yes, but not with a water pump gasket for a 97 Tacoma.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

nadmonk posted:

I think our Celebrity had the 2.8 v6, wasn't a barn burner or anything, but it got the job done.

I had the 2.8 and a 5-speed in my Fiero, and yeah it wasn't quick but it made nice noises (short exhaust run on that car) and was sufficiently sporty for what that car was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Looks like ET's been on HRT, good for her.