Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, reaction time only matters if you're actually racing the car next to you. If you're measuring the car's improvement, it doesn't affect anything else.

HPTuners lists the 1997 Monte as a supported vehicle, so you could possibly have some luck finding a LSx tuner already familiar with HPT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress that guy for not even leaving a note, and you should've made it all the way out. Was fun as hell and I never even managed to get face to face with Freiburger or Finnegan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm increasingly more willing to pay people these days to do the work, my sanity and back just can't take it anymore. Problem is finding a good mechanic tho.

I did solve most of my problem however by selling my two old cars (a '96 and '97) and got a newer car (2012) so it's only fluid changes for me for a looooong time :)

I realize it is anti-AI but drat it feels good to have something that needs fluid changes maybe three times a year despite driving nearly 25k/yr, and a new battery every 23 months.

Leaves more time for the fun poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Orange is a hell of a lot better than black / brown, so I'd say that transmission is pretty healthy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Either that or actually crimp it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The 4.8 and 4L60 should hopefully help that rear end live a little longer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, you really just need the ends and a length. You'd be extremely lucky to have one just bolt in, next best would be one that has the right ends but is too long. Having one that is too short just saves you some of the cost of fabricating a whole new one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seems like a dry sump would be cheaper than that pan.

Alternatively, GTO front sump?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You legit need to bring one of those out to zip tie drags one of these years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Part of me wonders if the Corsica I borrowed a few times would have not been a hateful piece of poo poo if it hadn't been utterly abused before I ever got my hands on it... but I think the answer to that question is "no, still poo poo".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Left Ventricle posted:

It was one of the preproduction units that got sent out to rental ... fleets.

The most 1980s GM reason possible, for a car to be historically significant.

Either that or "lol 1983 C4"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that's the fun of OBD - nearly any code can be either a mechanical issue or the sensor itself used to detect that mechanical issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah stick with a hydramatic.

4L80E

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On the hubcap - that looks exactly like the way the center caps on my dad's '94 Z28 attached. They took a pretty solid smack to seat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think you use two of the same part, but I could be wrong. I think most of them use one part mounted to the engine, and a generic / universal remote filter mount with a bracket attached so that it can be bolted to something.

Since you can put it wherever, no reason you have to stick with the same size filter either.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Left Ventricle posted:

They wanted me to bring them the intake manifold from the dead engine, so they could clean it. Part of the warranty, you know. Just in case some bits from the broken crank made their way to the top end somehow. Clean intake at no cost? Sure. Tear it off.

That's actually not surprising. The typical failure mode for the 3.7 V6 and 4.7 V8 is to drop one or more valveseats, which makes everything go chunky and often throws bits back into the intake manifold. Being a complex piece of plastic it's easy for something to hide out in there.

Regarding your new parts list, I think you might be right on a new oil pump pickup since those should be cheap-ish. Harmonic balancer should be easy to do in the truck so I would reuse it unless it's obviously hosed in some manner.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The fan on the Dodge engine? Should be a standard right hand thread that you have to spin left to remove, it just takes a lot of impact to get it to move.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I bought the gearwrench pin wrench that gives you a proper grip on the pulley. One hand on that, the other on a pipe extension on a crescent wrench, and squeeze.

Without either that or one of the impact tools, you're not going to get it off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Triple check the crank and cam reluctor wheel patterns before you really button that thing up... They are different year over year and I've got a really bad feeling about this now that you said it's a newer block. Might just be mix n match parts from the builder but you don't want to do this twice I bet.

There's just JTEC vs NGC there, right? I would sincerely hope JTEC was dead and gone by 08.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think Mopar calls them cam access covers. And yeah I would not expect to be able to remove it non-destructively.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Checks out, that's exactly what happened on my O2 sensor. Whatever little tabs they use on those connectors are super brittle by now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

300ish should be doable since the WJ 4.7HO put out most of that stock, and later 4.7s I think were at/above 300hp. Don't know if the bellhousings are the same but I'd expect "probably".

They're far from indestructible, as the local nutjob with a turbo 4.7 WJ has found out. Then again, he's also already blown up a 4L80E behind that same engine.

Do you have to maintain OBDII happiness? Is your truck JTEC or NGC? JTEC has this amazingly stupid thing where it resets whatever the high value it sees on the MAP sensor to be "1 bar".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Christ they still did that on JTEC? That clever idea literally came from SBEC via RENIX. it's in the RENIX patents from the very early 80s. I thought they would have trusted the MAP to give real numbers by loving 1996.

Yup, and at least from my limited browsing of the HPTuners forums, there's not really a good fix. That shitshow of a computer carried through at least 2004 in the WJ and TJ, but I'd sincerely hope this truck isn't still running that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BTDT with a hose clamp that loosened up on the output of a Walbro GSL392 pump.

On the inside of the frame rail.

Right next to the exhaust.

It's kind of amazing how not-flammable a shitton of gasoline can be.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's at least one crazy motherfucker with a 3.4 out of a fourthgen Camaro in an Opel GT and it seems to be one of the better-fitting V6 swaps.

Between that and this thread I must say I've been tempted on occasion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

monsterzero posted:

I'm sorry, what kind of truck is that? Hard to tell from the pics. :crossarms:

The tow mirrors aren't in full manspreading position so it's clearly not a RAM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safe and legal!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love oddball upgrades from parts-bins like this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, looks exactly like the failure I had on the Ranger twice - first on the ~4 year old tires that came with the truck, and then 30 miles later on the ~15 year old original spare. Both cases you could feel that corner sag but it wasn't ever difficult to control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I did my time in my yout in un-air-conditioned cars here in TX. I won't be doing it again if I can help it.

Same here in AZ. I'll only give cars like my Opel a pass because factory air was incredibly rare and sorta janky, and I don't have any problem just waiting for nicer weather to drive it.