Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Left Ventricle posted:

Replaced the balancer on the yellow '92 sedan, with a little assistance from a mobile mechanic. So the car runs again. But the belt is squeaking a bit. I will probably just replace it soon. I also tried to narrow down which hub needs to be swapped for a new one, but couldn't really figure it out. So I'm just gonna go with the original plan of replacing both front hubs just to be safe.

Then I spent the better part of three hours fighting a van sway bar which just would not bolt in. Every time I would get one of the brackets bolted to the control arm, the other side would be way off, like at least 1/2", and no amount of raising one arm and lowering the other would make up the difference. So I just slapped the stock bar back in.

I don't know if that is because the car is a '92 and I got the bar from a '96 van? Would that actually make a difference? Because it was not even an issue when I put a '95 van bar in the white '96 wagon. Everything lined up exactly.

Bar could be bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Awesome!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Awesome thread keep it up.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Despite the issues you're running into I'm going to rate this A1+++ good job. Dedication to the project and even followed it up with some documentation. Sweet!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

We should ask 14" after he gets home if he wants to go do some more Hunter S. Thompson videos.

If you need anything to make this happen let me know.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Left Ventricle posted:

Pics of the SC are on, in order: white wagon's broken original engine (won't work), white wagon's current engine (won't work), gold wagon ( :q: ). Gold wagon or yellow sedan are the candidates, since the SC is from a Buick 3.8, and those two have Buick engines. Adapting the Buick SC to a Chevy engine is not impossible, but it's not really worth it for the amount of work necessary. You have to make your own lower intake manifold, for example.

If Ken pops in and tells me what year car the SC came from, that will tell me if I can even use it. If it's from a Series I L67 (92-95), I can use the heads and lower intake from a Series I on my 3.3 block. It's still an uphill battle from there, but feasible.

However, the gold wagon has an interesting future. I am in the planning and theory stages of my sekrit progect. It's gonna be a doozy. :ninja: ITS A SEAKRET DONT ASK ABOUT THE PORJECT :ninja:

The 3.1 and (I think) 3.3/4 motors are 60 degree designs, so the manifold probably won't work. However, I want to say the blower for the V6 in the 90's thunderbirds wasn't even mounted on the motor.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Left Ventricle posted:

I spent 47 minutes on the phone with Mike Miller, and went ahead and ordered another PCM from him. I've done everything I can to resolve all the issues on this car, but nothing is working. The most pressing is the lack of a functioning cooling fan. Summer arrives soon in Vegas, and while it's fine right now to blast the heater to keep the engine cool in traffic, that's not something I want to have to do again in summer. He said he would get right on it and try to have it two-day shipped out tomorrow or Friday. So I should have it by Monday at the latest.

We also went over steps I could take to coax some more performance out of the engine, since he agrees with most people I talk to that a 17 second quarter mile ET is not really where the car should be. The biggest bottleneck is, of course, exhaust. I am running the full stock exhaust for the 3.1 that I yanked. The downpipe is the choke point, in his opinion. Something like that should get it breathing better and drop some time, and maybe even return a little better fuel economy. Next would be a 59 mm throttle body and a ported upper intake. Then a 3.33 transmission. All things I plan to do, but I want my car to work right again first. :v:

You're going to pick up a ton with that exhaust. Also I'd splice in a manual switch and a relay for the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ejppKB9j0

Man I want this car