Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Just wanna say my U-Body and I are fully on board with everything you're doing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

We've all rear-ended someone who probably shouldn't have stopped in the first place (I assume that is what happened here). The saving grace is that it will probably only happen once to you.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If it makes you feel any better, GM made ABS optional on much of their lineup for several years (from the mid-late 90s up until the feds made it mandatory).

I consider that a good thing, GM ABS sucked rear end. When I lived in Nebraska with N-Bodies I would disable ABS so winter driving was less scary.

Also, had a 2004 Grand Prix as a rental once, it is so goddamn fun having a rental car without ABS... Just sayin'.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I fully 100% support your other cars, but have a hard time being encouraging about J-bodies. I love me some shitboxes but a j-body (other than a cimmaron) is a bridge too far.

Speaking of, a cimmaron z24 quad4 swap sounds appealing...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Poly mounts depend entirely on the car. Longevity is also totally variable in my experience. Based on how often you replace rubber, I’d wager it’ll last significantly longer but maybe not as long as you think. I tend to not like poly mounts, preferring hard rubber or (where appropriate) aluminum or delrin.

Are your other mounts in good shape? Is there a roll restrictor of some sort you can put a poly insert into to prolong the life of the mounts? I’m pretty sure your car has that dogbone up front, maybe that could do with a hardened version to keep things more in check.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

ZZPerformance offers poly inserts for a stock dogbone, but I'm not worried about the dogbone. The rest of the mounts are made of low quality rubber that deteriorates fairly quickly. I have had to replace the trans mounts at least three times in 8 years of ownership, and will be again when I swap in the built engine. So they really only last a couple years. There are no other options I have found, aside from those Fiero pieces.

Ah I didn’t realize it was a rubber quality issue not a fatigue issue. The only way to know for sure is to try, unfortunately. Pay attention to how people phrase their impression of the vibration and you might be able to tell how annoying it is, even if they don’t come out and say it directly.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The bigass RAM logo also makes that little dent in the tailgate super noticeable.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have such a soft spot for these cars, they remind me of a more carefree time. My parents bought a 1988ish (maybe?) green/green Cutlass Cruiser wagon from my grandparents in the early 90’s and I loved it so much.

You’re doing the lords work, I wouldn’t have the patience for such epic GM shitgineering these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

TheShazbot posted:

Even through all of these issues over the years, I love reading this thread and seeing progress toward a dope rear end vehicle. Keep it up.

Is your username a reference to Tribes? If so, I love this thread even more.