Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

HootTheOwl posted:

There's a thread for the Buick Century?
drat, I've owned like two of them! (Both early 90's versions that were like 20 years old when I bought them)
Thanks for coming! Make sure you start at the beginning for the full experience.

Check engine/gas cap warning no longer coming up in the Ram. Smog ready. Must have just needed a few cycles to figure itself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Left Ventricle posted:

Check engine/gas cap warning no longer coming up in the Ram. Smog ready. Must have just needed a few cycles to figure itself out.

lol jk light came back I'll check it in the morning

EDIT: P0456 again. No patience for this.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 2, 2022

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Ram passed* smog.

*:ssh:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
New wheels and tires. Some of you may recall I acquired some 17" alloys from a 2017 Ram last year. I finally got around to putting them on.

Rides a lot better now that it's not rolling on 6-year-old tires. Side effect: speedometer correction. It used to read 2 mph fast across the range. Now it's accurate.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 27, 2022

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
hey guys I need to pay my rent buy my truck pls

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4015666

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1864991740517705

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-las-vegas-2008-dodge-ram/7549609166.html

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 25, 2022

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

STR posted:

That was a drat good price man. Looks like you got it sold already if your marketplace post is accurate.

That'd be a $10k+ truck here.

Not a good enough price for some folk. I'm disappointed, but I got what I needed out of it: two summers of air conditioning and rent paid for a few months. My family has insisted that I get the AC repaired in the wagon though, and I'm inclined to agree. I'm 40 years old now. Vegas summers are brutal, and only getting worse. This past summer was particularly harsh because of unbelievably high (for this area) humidity. I don't think I would have been able to do it without AC. Getting old is a hell of a thing.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The "fix" for mine is something I've talked about years ago. The LX9 has a different oil filter location than the original engine, and it interferes with the refrigerant lines. So I either need to have new lines made ($$$$) or relocate the filter (already have a kit) and bolt the stock lines on.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Changed the water pump on the wagon the other day. I took pictures but honestly, we've all done a water pump. It appeared to be the original part for the engine. Recall the engine is from a 2005 Malibu that had, according to LKQ, about 110k miles. I have put around 63k VERY HARD miles on it since installing it. I am not mad that it failed. After ~175k miles, it owed me nothing. Past Daniel had some foresight and bought the part 6 years ago, so the most difficult aspect was spelunking through the garage to find it.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Non-update update. I've been meaning to write up a post about the 2000 mile road trip I took the wagon on during Thanksgiving, but the circumstances of the trip weren't fun. I'm having a hard time coming up with the right words. The car performed flawlessly, and averaged 24.7 mpg, including a high score of 30.9 on the final tank before arriving back home. I took plenty of pictures. I'll give it a shot this weekend, I think.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Left Ventricle posted:

Non-update update. I've been meaning to write up a post about the 2000 mile road trip I took the wagon on during Thanksgiving, but the circumstances of the trip weren't fun. I'm having a hard time coming up with the right words. The car performed flawlessly, and averaged 24.7 mpg, including a high score of 30.9 on the final tank before arriving back home. I took plenty of pictures. I'll give it a shot this weekend, I think.

Can't be bothered to write an effortpost so I'll do a bit of E/N and move on.

My dad died a few days before Thanksgiving at age 59 of multiple organ failure. He'd been a long time alcoholic and was homeless for ten years, and that catches up with you. The 2000 mile trip was from Vegas to the Bay Area and back to try to handle is final affairs. The day before he died, my wife decided she was done, and wanted to move out. I put her on a plane to her mom's place in Kansas on January 29th. So I haven't really been in the mood to write up a real post. I will give you guys probably the two best photos I have ever taken of this car though.

Near the Golden Gate Bridge:

And in the Sierra Nevada mountains at a spot called Peddler's Hill:

That aside, I'm planning to get what I hope will be a reliable daily driver so I can stop worrying about whether George is going to start in the morning, what's that noise this time, and so on. Found another '96 wagon on Marketplace IN THE SAME CITY I BOUGHT GEORGE IN. After basically interviewing the guy over the last couple says, I feel like it will be a good daily. Lots of preventive maintenance done recently, including the ever-vulnerable lower intake gaskets, silly custom interior stuff, and a front clip swap from an '85 Century.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
poo poo went sideways last night, but all things considered, everything went way better than it could have. I got some new tires put on the wagon. I left the shop, drove a short distance, stopped to get out to take a picture of my new kicks, then had a gigantic freakout.

A transmission cooler line blew off suddenly. I got it fixed and refilled, but man, that was wild. If I hadn't gone to get tires, that could have happened on my commute this morning. That would have turned a $50 oopsie into a $2000 transmission rebuild.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
GENTLEMEN

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
gently caress Interstate 40.

Potholes on that lovely stretch of tarmac completely buggered my alignment. These tires are three weeks old, with less than 3000 miles on them.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Image hosting site Imgur will be removing images not associated with an account.

Like many of you, I have been using imgur for hosting for a long time, anonymously. It will be a monumental task to rehost everything I've posted here over the years. I feel like a lot of this thread (and my old head gasket thread from 2013) will probably end up dying. I'll do what I can, but there isn't a ton of time. May 15th, apparently.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCiOS_Eydk

placeholder until the weekend when I do something for once on one of my crap piles

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Here's one that's a little more on-topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIKzBGX1BPY

And as promised, here's a couple photos of work done on the black wagon.

Getting started:

On the agenda is general tune-up stuff: rotate tires, spark plugs and wires, air filter, clean the MAF, fuel filter, engine oil and filter, transmission oil and filter. I've been experiencing what feels like a misfire recently, so the goal is to chase that down.

We've all done plugs before, so here's the important image:

Looks like #2 had a pretty bad crack in it, unless that's just gunk. They're all the correct Delco plug for the engine (41-601), which is nice to see. I replaced them with Autolite 605 gapped to 0.060", as that's the currently recommended plug in the 60degreev6 community. Everything else went about how one would expect for a tune-up. The transmission oil smelled and looked a bit spicy but not quite burnt, and the magnet didn't have very much on it.

Couple interesting things to note. It seems as though someone has been in this transmission at some point. There was RTV gunked all around the pan's edge. The pan was unpainted, and is probably aftermarket, since it doesn't have
pre:
 DIV OF GMC
Hydra-Matic
   4T60
embossed into it, and the gasket was the typical aftermarket rubber style. The side pan had RTV in the edge as well. I'm not complaining about any of that, mind you. It's just pleasantly surprising.

The misfire cleared up quite a bit after all that, and it starts faster with a fresh fuel filter. However, I still feel it sometimes when passing on the highway. I'm going to try rerouting the 7x crank sensor wire to see if that's the problem. I had that issue on the white wagon a number of years ago:

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 10, 2023

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

nadmonk posted:

Sorry for the potato quality, but I saw an immaculate Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser wagon (with simulated wood grain!) this weekend and knew I had to get a picture:

:hellyeah:

If I could find a Ciera coupe in decent nick I would complete the A-body bingo card. 2 6000s, 2 Celebritys (sedan, wagon), 5 Centurys (2 sedan, 3 wagon), two Dustbusters.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

nadmonk posted:

I'm fuzzy on the specifics of the Century sedan. I think it was an 85 but I could be wrong. I just recall that having the worst engine ever. It was carbed, I think it was a V6, we had the carb rebuilt/tuned at least 3 times. It was slow as a dog and eventually the engine seized on me when I was driving to school (it was always a race in the morning between my dad and I, whoever got out the door first got the Celebrity wagon). And after the engine seized dad had a shop replace the engine....and then sold it for probably about what it cost to put the engine in.

Probably the 3.0, the worst variant of the venerable Buick V6. No power, poo poo reliability. Might be the worst engine GM ever made.

It's finally cooling off in Vegas, and I'm sick of trying to figure out why the black wagon is still misfiring after basically rebuilding the ignition system, so it's time for George to ride again! Gonna get an alignment soon.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Someone at the A-body board mentioned injectors. At this point, I'm leaning toward injectors, but since testing them requires pulling the upper intake, I'm not going to do that just yet. I plan to change over to the non-A-body-style throttle body, throttle position sensor, and mass air flow sensor, and get another '97 W-body PCM from Milzy. There's a '98 Grand Am at the yard up the street that's not been picked apart yet, so I'll grab the upper, TB, TPS, cruise module, throttle cables, and MAF from that. Then I'll probably just slam in some new injectors as a matter of course.

I know I said when I bought this car that I didn't plan to do any modifications, but I consider the MAF swap a necessity at this point. It's becoming more and more difficult to acquire the Buick-style MAF, since it was only used on a few cars for a few years. Whereas the newer style was used on many more cars for many more years, so it's both more plentiful at the yard and easier to buy new if I need to. The factory TPS doesn't seem to be calibrated correctly either, reporting 66% at actual WOT. And yes, "while I'm in there", why not just upgrade to the 2000+ top end, right? No time, money, or motivation for that.

Tried to jump start George after sitting for the last few months. No dice after 10+ minutes. Dropped it off at O'Reilly to test it. BAD. I don't really have the hundred bucks for a battery right now.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kastein posted:

It's pretty wack that they used a specific MAF just for your cars basically. Why? Just to gently caress the mechanic?
I legitimately don't know why GM designed a different intake manifold, MAF, throttle body and throttle cables for the A-body when they already had a functional setup in literally every other L82-powered car. Speculation: using parts from the 3300 to save some money?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Heartily endorse this.
https://x.com/MyronVernis/status/1716109450384122009?s=20

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
E/N warning. Spoilered in case you don't care to read.

Today would have been my father's 61st birthday. He left us last November. At that time, I took a trip around the Bay Area to visit family and friends I hadn't seen in many years. It felt like the correct way to mourn him, to see the sights he saw regularly, and maybe some things he didn't. I spent Thanksgiving with my sister and her mother.

I have never been good at expressing my emotions, so I hadn't written about my trip in the year since, because every time I sat down to do so, whatever I typed came out hollow, empty, as if I were writing it on someone else's behalf. Death is inevitable. The condition of "humanity" has a 93% fatality rate, after all! But though I have experienced a few deaths in our family over the last decade or so, I could never properly process them. Even this 2000 mile trip by myself didn't. It didn't help that it was around the same time that my wife decided she was done and wanted to move out and eventually divorce.

In 2010, my grandfather, Charles Trotter, passed. I didn't cry for him then, so that I could be strong for everyone else grieving. In 2012, his wife, my grandmother, Rosemary Trotter, joined him. I didn't cry for her then, so that I could be strong for everyone else grieving. In 2018, my brother, Forrest Smith, left us suddenly. I didn't cry for him then, so that I could be strong for everyone else grieving. In 2022, my father, Daniel Richards, departed sooner than he should have. I didn't cry for him then, because I had no capacity. In 2023, my grandmother, Beverly Johnson, died. I didn't cry for her, because I didn't know her.

In fact, I don't know my family at all. My dad's family is unknown to me. The only interactions I had with them, I was too young to recall, or they were incredibly brief. There are reasons for that, but I don't intend to air dirty laundry here. Aside from the lineal descendants of Daniel Richards, I consider my ties to his side of the family non-existent. There is some sadness in that.

I love you, Dad. May you improvise, adapt, and overcome any challenges you face in the next world.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I had an interesting failure on the car the other day. Slowed down for traffic on the highway, and when I tried to accelerate, there was a sudden distinct lack of power. When I arrived at my destination, I heard the exhaust puffing irregularly, rather than smooth as normal. Clearly a misfire or dead hole. Armed only with a mechanic's stethoscope, I eliminated the injectors as the source. Checking the coils the hard way revealed no spark on number 3, but 6 was fine. Which seemed really odd to me. I replaced the coil when I got home, as I have several spares lying around. But I've never heard of a GM coil half failing. Is that a thing?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

XYZAB posted:

subscribed :w00t:

edit: jfc i replied to a 9 year old post

Welcome aboard. It's been a ride.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
:hellyeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhhUCb6YRAg

EDIT: Make your own A-body coilovers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbO-WqKUnjQ

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I found another amazing wagon build on Youtube. Link is to the full playlist. Spoiler: turbo 3.8 and 5 speed manual!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRSpJg1KAg&list=PL1Ml2tm_fdrVXI06OGTRFQ9H5m6pqntr_&index=1&pp=iAQB